Ammunition Limits

nick_o_demus

Good morning guys and gals. Been a while since I deer hunted in GA. I cannot find anything that specifically relates to magazine capacity limits when it comes to deer hunting. I've never had more than 5 in my bolt action rifle at once, however I will being using an AR style rifle this year and the 5 round magazines I've bought do not feed worth a flip. I want to use a ten round mag with no more than 5 in the gun at a time. I'd appreciate some help.

RamblinWreck

I have a large stash of VN era Colt and Adventureline 20 rd mags, and they feed great (as long as you only load 19 rds max). I also use them in highpower service rifle competition for many years, and have never had a feed jam in rapid fire.

Edit to add: these have the alloy follower, and new Wolff +10% springs.
@nick_o_demus : PM me your mail address and I'll send you one.

In my 6.5mm Cm AR I use the Magpul 10 rounders (I hunt hogs with that rifle). They are reliable.

Last edited:

LittleDrummerBoy

Hunting with an AR makes a lot of sense - not that one needs the ammo capacity, but more in the sense of learning one rifle really, really well by using it more often rather than having a specialized rifle for every task. I wasn't a fan of the AR platform when I first started deer hunting in the mid 1990s - not enough good bullets and hard to find accurate and reliable platforms in a cost effective manner. But the past 20 years has improved the landscape tremendously.

Have fun out there!

RamblinWreck

I prefer my model 70 for deer, but when I got into thermal scopes, I needed a no-compromise flat-top platform, because that stuff mounts on a rail out of the box.

Woe betide any sounder that comes to my feeder when I have the thermal. Woe.

Anyway, I've had good luck with factory Colt/Knights and Magpul mags.

nick_o_demus

I have a large stash of VN era Colt and Adventureline 20 rd mags, and they feed great (as long as you only load 19 rds max). I also use them in highpower service rifle competition for many years, and have never had a feed jam in rapid fire.

Edit to add: these have the alloy follower, and new Wolff +10% springs.
@nick_o_demus : PM me your mail address and I'll send you one.

In my 6.5mm Cm AR I use the Magpul 10 rounders (I hunt hogs with that rifle). They are reliable.

That’s mighty kind of you! Thank you, sir. However I have several 20 round mags myself that feed excellent. I have actually ordered a few of the Magpul 10 rounders from Primary Arms today.

nick_o_demus

Hunting with an AR makes a lot of sense - not that one needs the ammo capacity, but more in the sense of learning one rifle really, really well by using it more often rather than having a specialized rifle for every task. I wasn't a fan of the AR platform when I first started deer hunting in the mid 1990s - not enough good bullets and hard to find accurate and reliable platforms in a cost effective manner. But the past 20 years has improved the landscape tremendously.

Have fun out there!

Agreed. I’ve put together a great .300 blackout rifle and have dropped a few deer in their tracks already in the past couple of years. I plan on hog hunting and maybe ‘yote hunting with it as well.

RamblinWreck

Best of luck to you. I have a nice lease I have waiting, but I am having too much fun fishing at the present, with the lower temps, fall, and all. I have not even gone down to weed-whack the campsite. I want those deer totally thinking we are not around on opening day. Prolly smell me anyway!

Edit: in .300 I shoot the Barnes 110 TAC-TX at faster than the Vortex load (safe in my rifle). That is my supersonic hunting load, but I wouldn't use it over 150 yards or so (not a problem in my swampy lease), too much like a 30-30 trajectory wise beyond that. Everything beats a 300 at 200 yards, lol. The 6.5 Creedmore is heavier to tote (hence only 10 rounds), but ruthless accuracy to over 400 yards, easy. Also suppressed.

Last edited:

nick_o_demus

Best of luck to you. I have a nice lease I have waiting, but I am having too much fun fishing at the present, with the lower temps, fall, and all. I have not even gone down to weed-whack the campsite. I want those deer totally thinking we are not around on opening day. Prolly smell me anyway!

Edit: in .300 I shoot the Barnes 110 TAC-TX at faster than the Vortex load (safe in my rifle). That is my supersonic hunting load, but I wouldn't use it over 150 yards or so (not a problem in my swampy lease), too much like a 30-30 trajectory wise beyond that. Everything beats a 300 at 200 yards, lol. The 6.5 Creedmore is heavier to tote (hence only 10 rounds), but ruthless accuracy to over 400 yards, easy. Also suppressed.

The Vor-TX 110 TAC-TX is what I'm shooting as well. Not much expansion at close shots, but their insides don't feel well after a hit. I'm not interested in shots much passed 100 yards anyways, but if he's big enough I'm taking a shot at least. It would have to be a late fall hunt with little to no leaves for me to even get a shot longer than 100 yards from my stand. I've always been a .308win fan, but an AR10 is just too much to pack into the woods for me.