An 870 for every occasion

kingfish

Bought mine in 1977 at JM Fields. First gun I ever bought, and still got it. I think I've taken at least 1 of everything possible with it. 2 3/4 improved cylinder. Shoots number 1 buckshot as good as anything I've ever had. Man I've killed some ducks with it too.

furtaker

Me to.

My current go to is 870 Express with a Buckkicker Xtrafull choke and 3 in. 15 pellet 00 buck. It will put all 15 pellets in a 8 in pie plate at 50yds. I love the Buckkicker chokes.

I also shoot a 760 in 30-06 one of the best deer rifles Remington produced in my opinion.

Congrats on the buck, thats a nice one.
Sounds like a good choke. I've been thinking about ordering one for my 835 for coyote hunting with #1 and #4 buck. Right now I'm using a Carlson's.

georgia_home

Mostly, I am not a buckshot guy. Mostly, I prefer slugs. But… buckshot did earn its name. I’ve known people that swear by buck. Under the right circumstances… it’s killer. One place I hunted until last year, the owner required buck on drives. Stand was hunter choice. It was shotgun only… until the last few years with straight wall rifle.

i generally use 2 3/4 slugs for deer, when smooth bore. The old sluggers or brenneke ko. My 1187 is good reliably to 80y, mod choke.

For rifled, it’s been a long time. the old brenneke gold was a full diameter slug. 3” for these. they changed model names several years back. i think the old copper solid sabot loads are no longer around. They were good too. Still have some laying around.

Other companies make similar. You just need to find what shoots well from your gun. Finding what your guns likes is the most important thing. Imho

also, know your range limits. Buck, or slug, make sure you know how far you can shoot and reliably hit with enough energy to drop. It is not rifle range.

Sweet! I have never deer hunted with a shotgun but have always been interested in it. Do you guys shoot slugs or buckshot?
I see one vote for buckshot on here already.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
There's a lot of reasons the 870 is the most popular selling pump shotgun of all time. Your buck is one of them. :rockon:

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I love shotgun hunting. I don’t do it as much as I used to but that’s what I started out with and learned to hunt with. It don’t get any sweeter than busting one with a slug. I like buckshot too but my favorite is a slug.

Good looking gun set up and nice deer!! Congratulations!!

Hillbilly stalker

I have always wanted to rig up a scoped 870 slug gun with an 18" barrel...
Ive done that. I bought a used barrel off gun broker. I put a “ B square” scope mount on it. It was a 18 inch barrel with a smooth bore and a “ cylinder bore” plus rifle sights. With a standard Remington rifled slug it would cloverleaf 3 rounds at 50 yards, The newer B square are some type of flexible plastic, mine was an older one and it was machined aluminum. If you try it, trust me and use the steel scope rings instead of aluminum. Your shoulder will appreciate it. I used mine for hogs. Mossberg used to make a package deal…a Remington barrel, cantilever scope mount and a 3x9x40 scope. It was the only barrel they made for another brand name gun. The first one I bought was $149. I’m sure those days are gone, but that was a rifled barrel also, not smooth bore.

Just found it, looks like they still offer it, price changed of coarse.48FF2B59-30BE-4429-8B7A-A23BB8CF08F9.png

TomC

I don't think my teeth could take the recoil from a slug throwing 12 gauge 870 but I love my little 870 youth 20 gauge for turkey hunting. Expensive shotguns have been put to bed for that little thing. I will say she ain't that refined and needs lots of TLC and CLP to keep the pump smooth and free from lock ups. Maybe the older 870's were built a little better?

Hiccup

My son killed his first buck with my 870 Police Magnum 12. I remember going to the stand that day, my son commented, Dad, people don’t hunt deer with shotguns. I just chuckled and said, well, you’re going to use this today and we’ll see what happens. As we stood there looking at his buck on the ground, I said, that shotgun worked pretty good didn’t it? He said, it sure did!

ghadarits

Nice buck. I agree I’ve taken a few with a shoty myself. That’s a good looking looking yellow dog too.

chase870

Possum Sox
Thanks for the kind words on the Buck. He's one of the better ones I have killed, I'm a deer hunter so horns are not the prime driving force for me, but I like killing a good one as well as the next guy. Had deer moving a bunch on the edge of a swamp near a property line pretty thick area "privet hedge" I love privet hedge they feel safe in it. I wanted to be sure I killed what I was shooting at and a 12 Ga. slug is pretty devastating, shot these deer with the old school Remington solid copper slugs. Its a excellent "Brush Gun" if your worried about hitting small branches and such don't be.

Attachments

• 69116396201__12FA542A-E554-48BF-B78B-E4D9EC289DE5.JPG
    69116396201__12FA542A-E554-48BF-B78B-E4D9EC289DE5.JPG
    452.5 KB · Views: 10