Another Broadhead Question

Hamer174

I know there is some talk about broadheads on here right now, so Im going to add to the questions. Has anyone ever used Grim Reapers?? I'm looking at the mechanicals either 1.75" or 2" whitetail specials. Just seeing if anyone has some reviews on them, like how the fly, penetrate, open etc....

Thanks in advance for any info

Flaustin1

Thousands of deer have been killed with them but I personally will not, under any circumstance use a "over the top" expanding broadhead. Aint happening. Just don't make sense to me.

fountain

I use them and love them. Have shot all of the regular grim reapers heads and they fly well. Penetration hasn't been an issue. You wont be disappointed with their performance
Just for extra insurance, I always put a dental rubber band for braces around mine and it doesn't affect anything. I actually do that to about all the heads I shoot.

The only difference in the 1.75 and 2" model is the collar. The black collar is the smaller cut and the shiny one is the bigger. You can take the 1 3/8 head and make a 1.5 with it by swapping collars. Same for the others. The 1 3/8 head is also really good. It shots really well and will make a nice hole. I usually keep both in my quiver

Blooper

Grim reaper is all I shoot currently. Amazing holes in the ones I have taken with them. I haven't failed to have all three legs deploy on the 2" cuts on anything it has hit. Went through everything I have shot like butter (71lbs at 28.5" draw ~305 fps) and they can fly like a field tip even out of a slightly out of tune bow due to having basically the same profile as a field tip. They will "plane" a LOT less from the head steering the front like a fixed blade.

I don't have any pictures currently saved on this phone to post or I would.

I really want to get my hands on the new four blade (carni-fours) though when they come out. I like the increased entrance wound size they are supposed to offer.

Hamer174

Thanks for the info. I think I'm gonna try them this year. I'm shooting 71lbs 28" draw at around 295fps with 430gr arrow should be around 81lbs ke. So I should get good penetration. Not really sure if this make a difference but I've always shot straight vanes.

Hunting 4 Him

I've shot a coyote and a buck with them and was able to "watch them drop" like they claim. My only negative comment was that the blades came lose on the others that I had in my quiver. May have been something I did not really sure but it caused me to look elsewhere for broad heads.

Blooper

You will have zero penetration issues. Our specs are similar and after passing through on a properly placed shot, all my arrows were barried 4-5 inches in the dirt at 30'ish yards. If I was the shoot my arrow into the dirt with a field point I get 6-7 inches of burial at the same distance. Really at our specs, it's a matter of how deep in the dirt you want it to be after blowing a hole through the deer. :bounce:

Honestly, unless your under 40 pounds, over 700 grains AND under 140 fps or some other similar combination a pass through is doable with any head on a well placed shot but, that is a topic for a whole other thread on a different day.

Blooper

I've shot a coyote and a buck with them and was able to "watch them drop" like they claim. My only negative comment was that the blades came lose on the others that I had in my quiver. May have been something I did not really sure but it caused me to look elsewhere for broad heads.

I don't know how the blades would have came "loose". If they are threaded all the way into your insert there is basically no way for the tension spring to allow the blades to be "loose". I would say you forgot a piece in the assembly process when putting them on (most likely the little tension collar- it could have even been turned to where the little notch didn't line up on it which would have made it possible to not be able to thread the head all the way into the insert). Perhaps the spring itself was missing or damaged in some way?

The fairly fool proof tension system they use is what sold me on them. Didn't like the rubber bands or toothpicks that some over the top mechanicals utilize.

countryboy27012

I have been shooting Reapers for the last few years... I really like them :)

Look up McNasty on this forum. He shoots them and has plenty of pictures of the carnage they do. It made me a believer lol.