Another successful youth opener

ssramage

Saturday found me and my two boys (Dawson - 8, and Coleman Tate - 4) sitting in a familiar powerline stand, looking to repeat our success from last year's opener. My son Dawson killed his first deer, a nice 7 pointer, last year on the opener.

On the way in to the stand that am, we ran off a group of hogs in the dark and saw 3 does but were holding out for a buck. We killed some time midday at BassPro and had lunch at Cracker Barrel before getting back in the stand about 4:45. I like to get in plenty early to give the kids time to settle down and get their snacks out of the way before prime time. :ROFLMAO:

That afternoon we saw the same 3 does and a hog WAY down the powerline that another club member shot. As darkness approached, my son was getting pretty discouraged when I saw a deer step out 70 yds away from the stand. It was too dark to see antlers with our eyes, but I could make out the rack through my binos and gave him the go ahead if he felt comfortable. The buck started getting nervous as we struggled to get the cheapo "package deal" scope situated on him in the dimming light. Eventually he turned broadside, Dawson said he was on him, and let it fly. He made a perfect shot with his .243 right through both shoulders and the deer made it 40 yds before expiring. He had no clue what he had shot because of the dim light and was ecstatic when he walked up on his 8 pointer. We're debating what kind of mount he wants now and he's been "researching" shoulder mounts for the last couple days. He's also been working on his mom for permission to hang it in the living room next to mine. I think he'll win her over. :)

These boys are turning into good little hunters and I thank the Lord for the opportunity to share my passions with them. Both boys have been going with me since they were very little and won't let me leave the house without them now. CT and Dawson Youth Opener 2021.jpgCT and Dawson Cracker Barrel.jpgDawson 2021 Buck 2.jpgDawson 2021 Buck 1.jpg

Duff

Priceless day Steven!! Absolutely priceless!

slow motion

Nice buck. Congratulations to your son and to his proud Dad as well.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Excellent, congrats on a great buck!!!!

bany

Excellent day for all three of ya!

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Congrats to the young man!

You better hope she dosent replace yours with his.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Congrats on a fine buck!

pjciii

He is fortunate To be able to experience And get excited about the outdoors. He looks excited with his trophy.

fatback

Congrats to the young hunter on a fine buck. Only person more excited I’m sure was proud dad. Awesome for both of y’all.

DSGB

Well done! Congrats to the young man on a fine buck!