Blackston

I say we settle it once and for all. Hoover round demolition derby

Attachments

• IMG_0094.jpg
    IMG_0094.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 311

shdw633

I say we settle it once and for all. Hoover round demolition derby

Had to use one with a basket didn't you!! Too lazy to carry anything, got to have a basket!! Soooo not "old school" ::ke::bounce::bounce:::ke:

swamp hunter

And a Kill Switch too in case you fell over and could'nd get up..what a Newbie..

I’m 66 and killed one yesterday afternoon. O D green field Jacket, Blue jeans and a 1917 enfield 3006. Killed my first one in 1967

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Thermacell? Don't leave home without it! So yes I use some modern technology, but not so much that I feel like I'm a slave to it. I don't have a GPS - I use maps, many hand-drawn with notes and pictures relevant to hunting.

:bounce: Some need kerosene rags tied around their ankles. And one of those apps so they don't get lost in the camo closet. Candyland Outdoors probably comes on tv at 9.

Jack Ryan

Do they still make the fuel sticks? I can remember lighting them up on the gas stove before I'd go hunt. And you just made me remember the fluid ones. Forgot about them. I saw they got ones now you charge up with the phone charger and it charges your phone. haha

Yep, you can find the fuel sticks on Amazon I think. I bought some last year.

I don't use that one near as much as the ones with lighter fluid.

I bought out an old hardware store when they were selling out. Bought their whole shelf of those lighter fluid ones and he threw in a couple of those "other things". Took me a couple years to even figure out for sure what those were or how to use the ones with sticks.

8pointduck

Not bragging about a 5 mile drag, just saying back in the day we didn’t have the technology, as for hunting 70 yards behind my house? Yup! Not ashamed either, after years of doing it hard, we now have a house with land and by scouting, I found that my ideal spot for a stand was 70 yards behind my house. As for what I have for firearms? I use what is appropriate for the game. I have safari rifles, why? Because ive taken them on safari. I feel as though the ones that replied by calling me an “Obama supporter”, “gotta get my boots”, are those that I struck a nerve with. My intent was that the “art” and “skills” have declined because technology has made it easier. And again, hunting behind my house. Why would I PAY a club or lease when I have free land to use? I’ve been here about 3 years and this season was the first ive hunted because of all the generous land owners that have hundreds of acres that nobody hunts, but, won’t grant permission... unless you pay them. (The deer I dragged 5 miles through the night? I was alone, to quarter and do multiple trips was not an option, after the first trip the local wildlife would have gotten the rest). I need not defend what I do now, I’m getting older, put in my time, and learned by making mistakes, and trial and error. And say what you will, you’d put a stand in your backyard if you had the setup that I have. As far as hunting clubs? Any place that puts antler restrictions, areas that are for special members, and QDMA aren’t worth me forking over 1000-3000 dollars a season for the “price ledge” to do what I do on my own land. Will I hunt the way I used to? Yes, I’ll be going back up to Caribou next November for deer and bear, same place all those years ago, it’s still the same, and I’m looking forward to all the cold, misery, being uncomfortable just for that few seconds all of that goes away and it’s time to pull the trigger, got my rope all set and ready to drag.

Some of the words and attitude made you look like a Obama supporter. Glad you got the money to be a world hunter and can do it like you used to. It would be nice if I could hunt the way I use to, but that is not happening anymore. But ,when I got camo, I wore it. When I could upgrade my weapons, I did. When I got a 4 wheeler, I used that to. Got an old camper too. So I guess I am not so old school as you say anymore. I bet you there are more like me than you. Am I lazy? Not one bit.

across the river

I'm old school as they come but these days at 66 years old I'm all about hunting smarter, not harder.

I'm with you. I don't understand why people think you have to kill a deer in appalachia with a stone spear you carved yourself, or you are a "real hunter." I wonder if these same people have jobs tarring roofs, hand digging ditches, hand picking cotton, or working for minimum wage at a restaurant, rather that working at other more highly skilled jobs that pay well, because the money just comes too easy for them in those other "new school" jobs.

Bucaramus

I used to drive a 73 Monte Carlo that used more oil than gas, if that's possible! Had to read a paper map when I went on trips too with no AC. Got me a nice Z71 now with heated seats and a GPS. I guess I don't know how to drive now.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
I'm with you. I don't understand why people think you have to kill a deer in appalachia with a stone spear you carved yourself, or you are a "real hunter." I wonder if these same people have jobs tarring roofs, hand digging ditches, hand picking cotton, or working for minimum wage at a restaurant, rather that working at other more highly skilled jobs that pay well, because the money just comes too easy for them in those other "new school" jobs.

You just have to take it all in with a grain of salt. Everyone is different. Some don't change. Sometimes situations make people change. Like age or disability. Some love primitive skill sets. As much as I used to rough it, not anymore. Rambo done died. Give me some good camo to improve my chances when I'm serious. If I was rich I'd hunt out of towers and all Millineum Monsters stands. lol. Enclosed electric buggy too. With AC. Before I'd drag one a mile anymore, I'd start a fire right there and invite my buddies for a BBQ.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Gave my dad a hard time for using a baja bug to get us to the stand in the 70’s

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Since I can't pull a bow back because of a bone spur and use a crossbow,I guess I am simple trash to some people.Howeva I did use leaves to finish up#2 yesterday.Does that count?

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Since I can't pull a bow back because of a bone spur and use a crossbow,I guess I am simple trash to some people.Howeva I did use leaves to finish up#2 yesterday.Does that count?

Your not trash to me. :D
Leaves , have worked for me.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Caribou Maine?????????? Wow that's tough huntin!
I was born there. Cary hospital I think???? I can't remember.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member

Poke sallit leaves are preferable when in season. ;)

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Poke sallit leaves are preferable when in season. ;)

I used some leaves from a vine that were growing up a tree.They were soft.:rofl:
then a few days later I was itching something bad.:banginghe thought it was from my hemms acting up.
later I figured out not to do that again.Only use leaves that are growing on plants not vines.

Last edited:

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
I started deer hunting in the early 60's. If there were any deer hunting gadgets out there, I didn't know of any. It was a challenge just to stay warm.

Most of the folks that I hunt with today would tell you that I am old school. I have adopted the newer things that lower the misery index though. I do wear camo mostly and the appropriate under garments to allow for my comfort. I use an ATV when necessary. I purchased a compound when they became legal. A buck grunter is as necessary as a hunting knife. I don't believe in scents but I use to. I don't own a feeder or a game camera. Scouting and boot leather still puts me on game. When it gets right down to it, the challenge is what keeps me going and that is what I enjoy. I do believe that hunting skills and woodsmanship are on the decline.

I say " do it your way". Whatever brings you the most enjoyment, have at it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Mullein is the "Charmin" of natural materials.

:bounce:

We have those umbrella magnolias here with pliable leaves about two feet long. :)