Any “old school” hunters around?

The mtn man

Yes! My cousins and their huntin buddies don't even know or care what I'm talking about when I go to Northern Maine and get excited like "awwww cool man that's gotta be a 140's maybe 150 inch buck man!!!!!"
They respond....."Oh he was 280 pounds there him!!!!"
That is how they compare bucks amoungst family and friends

Yep, it's foreign to us, but they don't care if it's a spike buck, as long as it's dressed weight is 200pounds, your in the big buck club. When I worked up there I saw lots of huge racks just thrown in woodshed, when I asked about them, folks would always , every single time without fail tell you what it weighed.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The folks in Maine hunt a lot like the older folks I grew up hunting with here in the mountains. That's where I formed a lot of my thoughts about hunting, from those old guys. I don't give a flip what a deer scores, never measured one, never will. I do appreciate a big body on a deer, though.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I do, if I'm with you and a booger gets after us, I'm hoping I can outrun ya :D

I'll warn you, if a booger gets after me, I'm pretty quick. Ain't nothing like being chased by a booger in the dark to make a fella light on his feet.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
It's like moving to North ga mountains from Florida and telling everyone they don't know how to live, everything needs to change to how things are in florida.

I hear there's a lot of that going on up there.:rolleyes:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

I'll warn you, if a booger gets after me, I'm pretty quick. Ain't nothing like being chased by a booger in the dark to make a fella light on his feet.

Y'all should take me with you then. I ain't skurred a no booger and I never met the booger I couldn't grin to death.:bounce:

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
I wish I could still stalk the creek and river bottom privet swamps, the days of carrying a buck over my shoulders are long gone.
Nowadays, I have to think, can I get him out with a four wheeler or a tractor. The last three I shot, I could not even load in the bed of a pick up by myself.
I am tickled to sit in a shooting house and enjoy my sport, my way. It beats playing checkers at the VFW.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'm a big-bodied deer hunter. Do you appreciate that?:banana:

If we're all out huntin' and a booger gets me first, he'll be a little slower when he's after y'all because he'll be totin' ten 7.62x39s or four .300WMs and twenty-seven .40 S&Ws, and will have three or four knives stuck in him, too. :D

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
If we're all out huntin' and a booger gets me first, he'll be a little slower when he's after y'all because he'll be totin' ten 7.62x39s or four .300WMs and twenty-seven .40 S&Ws, and will have three or four knives stuck in him, too. :D

I got a buddy you'd like. You might meet him sometime on a fishing trip. He says, "you may find me dead in a ditch one day, but by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass."

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I got a buddy you'd like. You might meet him sometime on a fishing trip. He says, "you may find me dead in a ditch one day, but by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass."

:bounce:

We gotta hit the creeks again when it warms up. Liquid water doesn't exist here right now.

Jack Ryan

What's wrong with old people? We know how computers work. We started with punch cards. lol I don't think he's what you call old. Takes a smart older person to look at the profile.:) When you want to learn BASIC and actually give a machine a command instead of clicking a mouse, I will take us back to the 80s. haha

I believe people older than ME sent men to the MOON and BACK with a slide rule and a piece of chalk. Has "gen x" ever been ANY WHERE they didn't just buy a ticket for?

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
I believe people older than ME sent men to the MOON and BACK with a slide rule and a piece of chalk. Has "gen x" ever been ANY WHERE they didn't just buy a ticket for?

They will get the candy out of their pants when they gain some experience. lol. They will have some respect then. We may have to go Outlaw Grandpa on them.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Although I have no issues with folks hunting like they did 50 or 100 years ago, I have evolved with time and I really, really enjoy how I hunt these days. Much more so than how I hunted 30 years ago.

The actual thrill of the hunt or of the kill or the missed opportunities or just seeing the world in front of and behind me has never changed and in fact grows stronger in me every season and maybe every hunt...but I am a heckuva lot more comfy while experiencing it all.

Theres several things about todays hunting that I might change if I could, but not enough to make me lose a minutes sleep.

hornhunter79

Lol. I knew the old comment would get y'all out of your rocking chairs. Lol. I'm just joking. I think people as a whole are way to dependent on modern technology. Not many people left that know how to cure their meats and can their vegetables. I would love to learn how to build and work a smoke house or how to salt cure.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Lol. I knew the old comment would get y'all out of your rocking chairs. Lol. I'm just joking. I think people as a whole are way to dependent on modern technology. Not many people left that know how to cure their meats and can their vegetables. I would love to learn how to build and work a smoke house or how to salt cure.

We claim to be older, not prehistoric. lol. My mother is still kicking. She's the last around our family canning veggies. We leased a place from 3 to 5 yrs ago that had muscadine and scuppadine rows. I brought them to her in 5 gallon buckets. She made some good jelly. It's good knowledge to have.

Killer Kyle

We claim to be older, not prehistoric. lol. My mother is still kicking. She's the last around our family canning veggies. We leased a place from 3 to 5 yrs ago that had muscadine and scuppadine rows. I brought them to her in 5 gallon buckets. She made some good jelly. It's good knowledge to have.

My mama still makes awesome muscadine jelly and juice every year. It is fit for the gods. I'd do my self good to get her recipes and methods before she's gone. Don't know why I never bothered to learn before.