Any 243 users in here?

transfixer

I have used the 85gr BTHP for years but I am now down to 3 bullets and my daughter wants to hunt this year. I see this bullet has been discontinued so my question is what’s the next best bullet to use??
Thanks for any input[/QUOTE

Hornady has some 87gr bthp that I've used for a while, can't tell any difference between them and the sierra 85gr bthp.

transfixer

That's the only caliber deer rifle I own. I got my first Winchester Model 100 semiauto carbine when I was 12 years old. (1972) It was a used gun, owned by a friend of my family that had killed many, many deer with it. I liked so much, that I bought a brand new and last Model 100 rifle version in 243 that Winchester made. Those two Model 100's are still the only deer rifles I own or need. As years went by, my friends kept getting larger and larger caliber rifles. I never saw and still don't see the need.

I agree, I do own other calibers, but not because I feel its necessary, I just have a rifle addiction , lol,,, I've hunted with guys who will shoot a deer, have a hard time finding it, and then next week or two they'll have a bigger gun, and repeat it all over again, next year they have a 7mag, and still the deer runs off.

They can't seem to grasp, its not the gun, its the shooter that's at fault.

Headshot17

hornady

I have used the 85gr BTHP for years but I am now down to 3 bullets and my daughter wants to hunt this year. I see this bullet has been discontinued so my question is what’s the next best bullet to use??
Thanks for any input[/QUOTE

Hornady has some 87gr bthp that I've used for a while, can't tell any difference between them and the sierra 85gr bthp.

Where can I find the Hornady 87 gr BTHP? All I can find is for reloading and I don't have any reloading equipment.

transfixer

I don't know whether they load that bullet for a factory load or not? I thought you were looking for components, I reload all my ammo, I used to use the 85gr bthp, but switched over to the 87gr a few years ago.