Anyone spotted a Bald Eagle at Hollis Q Lathem?

Cherokee

Dad and I were fishing Hollis Q Lathem reservoir this past Saturday. Picked up about 10 small bass, nothing big but the highlight of the day was I saw a bald eagle fly over the lake. It came right over our boat white head solid white tail feathers I know it was a BE, just curious if anyone else has seen one in that part of Cherokee/Dawson counties or near the lake?

hopper

I will be on the look out, fish there alot. I could of sworn me and the wife saw one over Lanier last year while waiting for the kids bus.

Andy O

I see them at Lanier all the time, there is a nesting pair near Long Hollow. Also see them at Bear Creek often. Truly majestic birds!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I see them around almost every large body of water I've fished for the last decade or so.

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
I am with the Hillbilly, they are everywhere there is a big body of water. We have a substantial population on West Point, been seeing them since the early 80's.

PappyHoel

I havent seen any up here before. However, i just did a little research on your fishing hole. I think i might take the girls there soon. Looks like a nice spot and its only like 10 min from the house.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I saw three on Clarks Hill last weekend and saw two fighting over a fish on lake Chatuge last month.

One spot I know on Clarks's Hill, there is a bald eagle nest, osprey nest, and crow nest all within 300 yards of each other. Plenty of drama going on there. :)

The mtn man

I see them on all the mountain lakes.

Cherokee

I havent seen any up here before. However, i just did a little research on your fishing hole. I think i might take the girls there soon. Looks like a nice spot and its only like 10 min from the house.

It is a big lake Pappy around 334 acres and has a beautiful waterfall in the far back part of the lake. Along with the bass they are some real PIG bream and shell crackers. I think your girls would enjoy the trip! Maybe the bald eagle will make another appearance!

spkoli

Yup, I saw that Bald eagle Saturday while I was there.

PappyHoel

It is a big lake Pappy around 334 acres and has a beautiful waterfall in the far back part of the lake. Along with the bass they are some real PIG bream and shell crackers. I think your girls would enjoy the trip! Maybe the bald eagle will make another appearance!

Does the lake get a lot of traffic? I’m thinking about taking a job boat with trolling motor.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
West Point is absolutely covered in them now. When the carp got up shallow in March it was common to see anywhere from 10-12 in certain areas feasting on them. I tried to get some decent pictures of them, but they didn't turn out great.

3ringer

Not near you but always a treat to see one. This photo was taken at Jackson Lake.

Attachments

• 499A8430-E5A1-4DF7-B3A2-8B4DD388BDCD.jpg
    499A8430-E5A1-4DF7-B3A2-8B4DD388BDCD.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 310

Rabun

I see them on all the mountain lakes.

Here's one of the pair that have reared three eaglets last year and returned to the nest this year and presently raising two....NE GA lake. The nest is within viewing distance from the water, but well protected...very cool to watch the development through the year. Toward the end of last summer, two of the three youngsters hung around the nest for weeks before departing...no sign of Mom or Dad at that time. We'll see if they are millennial eagles and return to the nest.

Attachments

• Baldy1.JPG
    Baldy1.JPG
    194.2 KB · Views: 273

Cherokee

Does the lake get a lot of traffic? I’m thinking about taking a job boat with trolling motor.

It is a trolling motor only lake, no boats with outboard engines allowed. Here is a pic of a huge shell cracker I caught last year; as stated earlier they are some big bream and shell crackers, as well as bass in the lake.

Attachments

• gon.JPG
    gon.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 253

Rabun

It is a trolling motor only lake, no boats with outboard engines allowed. Here is a pic of a huge shell cracker I caught last year; as stated earlier they are some big bream and shell crackers, as well as bass in the lake.

Holy cow...that thing's a meal!