AR, AK or bolt for 762x36?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Keep the SKS's
Shoot the snot out of em and enjoy them.

If you must have something different and want an AK maybe look around and find a MAK90.

7.62x39 and bulk cheap steel case ammo probably isnt going to impress or be a whole lot more accurate in a bolt action than an SKS or AK.
You do realize that you can get good, accurate, brass cased American 7.62x39 ammo? And yeah, my AR in x39 is a lot more accurate than my SKS or AK, so I would expect a bolt gun to be even more accurate.

Robert28

To get any of the 3 type guns you listed you wont have to sell but one SKS. If you shop around and can be patient you can get the PSA 103 ak on sale, sometimes they bundle stuff with it like a Dagger or something.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Why has mine run for a decade and thousands of rounds without a hiccup? And, it’s infinitely more accurate than my AK. I don’t really see the point of a bolt 7.62x39.
because you don't abuse it:huh:

if I was going to have a bolt gun with a similar case it might be a 6.8 SPCII
I and old Boat Paddle M77 in the X39.
think they only made that 1 year...that one might be too high

Bobby Bigtime

I have two Chinese ak rifles, both polytech. they have been the most reliable autos I have ever seen and both are accurate (seen some that were not) they have taken a pile of deer and a half dozen antelope. Out of curiosity I picked up some ppu round nose. One of them can really place those things tight and they are stellar on deer.as of your plethora of steel cased ammo most of the ak rifles will devour them without a hitch.

bighonkinjeep

You do realize that you can get good, accurate, brass cased American 7.62x39 ammo? And yeah, my AR in x39 is a lot more accurate than my SKS or AK, so I would expect a bolt gun to be even more accurate.
Yeah most sold is just cheap steel case blasting and plinking ammo. Most folks dont splurge for top quality X39 unless they need a few rounds for hunting and theyll still keep an ammo box full of Wolf, Tula or other cheap FMJ or HPs
I contend that the reputation that SKS and AKs "arent accurate" primarily comes from rudimentary factory sights and the bazillion cheap sub standard mounting systems and optics in use. When combined with com bloc ammo theres no surprise no one is shooting benchrest with them.
A quality side mount or gas tube scout mount, a decent optic, and ammo they like and most com bloc semi autos will hold their own in the accuracy dept and excel in dependability.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I contend that the reputation that SKS and AKs "arent accurate" primarily comes from rudimentary factory sights and the bazillion cheap sub standard mounting systems and optics in use.
I think the SKS has a better reputation for accuracy than the AKala
I think I have 2 tools for adjusting the sights on one. My SKS is plenty accurate for what I use it for.

bighonkinjeep

One other thing to consider for the future if youre looking at getting an AK is the Chinese and Russian SKS's and AK variants seem to hold their value and appreciate in value over time. The AK rifles with US receivers on parts kits, not so much.
I like the Chinese MAK 90s because of their 1.5mm stamped receivers and high quality steel throughout. I never thought I'd say that about a Chinese product but Norinco steel is super hard top shelf stuff.

Something else I havent seen mentiined in this thread yet. Laquer coatings on a lot of the cheap steel case ammo is often documented as problematic for causeing sticking and extraction issues in rifles with tighter chamber tolerances and leaving sticky crud behind in those chambers.
I hope you.find something that you enjoy.

transfixer

I think the SKS has a better reputation for accuracy than the AKala
I think I have 2 tools for adjusting the sights on one. My SKS is plenty accurate for what I use it for.

yes, sks's seem to be somewhat more consistent than the majority of AK's, people need to remember those rifles were not made as hunting rifles, which generally require a certain level of accuracy, they were mass produced the cheapest way possible, to be man killers, thus the rudimentary sights , and the ammo made for them was the same way, cheap bi-metal bullets and steel cases, much of the ammo years ago was loaded with corrosive propellant, some still are, which unless cleaned religiously would further deteriorate accuracy

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
If I had a ton of 7.62x39, I'd pick up one of the bolt actions and practice with it braced, off hand, opposite handed, prone, kneeling, and every which way until I could shoot 1 inch groups with it blindfolded. That amount of practice is bound to make you a better marksman with every rifle you own and then if you want to hunt with it, you'll have complete confidence in it.

ChidJ

Zastava M70 is the best buy in AKs right now. Can be had for less than 1k, are a true import AK, have excellent build quality.

Darien1

I have the CZ 527 Carbine, the Ruger American and the Mini 30. I love the cartridge and shoot it a lot but the vast majority of what I shoot is shot in the CZ. That gun is a wonder.

Mars

I did the AK conversion on a Russian built Saiga. It the only AK I have any experience with but I really like it.

Mars

Those things are worth gold now
Yeah. I've been tempted to sell it but I know I'd regret it later. I bought it new for $400ish around 2010 if I remember correctly. Most of the ones on gun broker are listed for $2000+. Mine also had a factory threaded barrel which I've read is more rare since a threaded barrel is one of the no-no features for an import.

B. White

I need to quit reading these. Plenty of brass, primers and 6.5 projectiles makes me want to look at the Howa with the wood stock for the Grendel.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Appreciate all the input.

apstephen

Ruger Ranch rifle in 7.62X39. Very good shooter, the rifle I use for deer the most. I use Hornady Black for hunting rounds. Very accurate.

Windham Weaponry 7.62x39 SRC. This the 7.62X39 in an AR platform. This rifle has been flawless. Unfortunately Windham went out of business last month. I am sure there are some new 7.62X39 SRCs still floating around. Unsure of the current price point. Also very accurate

PSA AK GF4 MOEkov. No issues with this rifle at all. Enjoyable rifle. Accurate rifle

Yugo M58. Everyone needs at least one SKS! Accurate rifle

Comm Bloc sights just leave a little to be desired...

I've managed to get deer with all but the PSA (never hunted with it). 7.62X39 really a great and under appreciated caliber.

Last edited:

transfixer

Ruger Ranch rifle in 7.62X39. Very good shooter, the rifle I use for deer the most. I use Hornady Black for hunting rounds. Very accurate.

Windham Weaponry 7.62x39 SRC. This the 7.62X39 in an AR platform. This rifle has been flawless. Unfortunately Windham went out of business last month. I am sure there are some new 7.62X39 SRCs still floating around. Unsure of the current price point. Also very accurate

PSA AK GF4 MOEkov. No issues with this rifle at all. Enjoyable rifle. Accurate rifle

Yugo M58. Everyone needs at least one SKS! Accurate rifle

Comm Bloc sights just leave a little to be desired...

I've managed to get deer with all but the PSA (never hunted with it). 7.62X39 really a great and under appreciated caliber.

Tech sights makes a rear peep sight that is fully adjustable for the sks , attaches at the rear of the receiver cover, giving you a longer sight radius as well as a better picture , i have one on a beater sks I have, definitely improves accuracy