Are Head Coverings for Women Biblical?

LittleDrummerBoy

I think people spend way too much time worrying about nitpicky stuff like this that doesn't make a lick of difference one way or the other, myself. I find it hard to believe that God has nothing better to do than sit up there keeping a hat/no hat list to drag out on Judgement Day.

Perhaps he's not keeping a sprinkling and dunking list either, but is that the same as saying it's not important?

Those saved by faith obey out of love of God and appreciation for what the grace of God has done for them. If you need to think an issue will come up on Judgement Day in order to obey, your perspective is skewed.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Perhaps he's not keeping a sprinkling and dunking list either, but is that the same as saying it's not important?

Those saved by faith obey out of love of God and appreciation for what the grace of God has done for them. If you need to think an issue will come up on Judgement Day in order to obey, your perspective is skewed.
Yet, 90% of religious proselytizing and preaching is geared much more toward the stick (or the godly smiting Zippo) than the carrot, and probably over that proportion of the Old Testament. I'd guess that fear of He!! is much more of a religious motivator percentage wise than appreciation of the grace of God.

And no, I do not think that either dunking nor sprinkling are important, unless as a personal symbol of affirmation.

LittleDrummerBoy

Yet, 90% of religious proselytizing and preaching is geared much more toward the stick (or the godly smiting Zippo) than the carrot, and probably over that proportion of the Old Testament. I'd guess that fear of He!! is much more of a religious motivator percentage wise than appreciation of the grace of God.

My experience has been that **** is not mentioned in more than 80% of sermons in most churches I've attended or watched significant sermons on-line. Personally, I'm more comfortable with closer to a 50-50 mix than 80-20 or 90-10 one way or another. As Scripture says:

"Be merciful to those who doubt; save others by snatching them from the fire;to others show mercy, mixed with fear—hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh."

And while the question of head coverings may not be important on Judgement Day, I expect the heart condition conveyed by a propensity to disobey instructions reckoned to be "less important" probably will be.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My experience has been that **** is not mentioned in more than 80% of sermons in most churches I've attended or watched significant sermons on-line. Personally, I'm more comfortable with closer to a 50-50 mix than 80-20 or 90-10 one way or another. As Scripture says:

"Be merciful to those who doubt; save others by snatching them from the fire;to others show mercy, mixed with fear—hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh."

And while the question of head coverings may not be important on Judgement Day, I expect the heart condition conveyed by a propensity to disobey instructions reckoned to be "less important" probably will be.
You for sure didn't grow up in the same time or area or going to the same churches that I did. That might be true for the more affluent urban or suburban churches where people wear suits and ties and the preacher doesn't run up and down the aisle and holler at the top of his lungs and people in overalls don't run around shouting at the top of their lungs and waving their arms in the air. Those are in the minority in the rural south. In all the churches I grew up in, the subject of 99% of the sermons was "Why YOU are going to He11 if you don't change your ways." Reasons might include anything from fishing on Sunday to women wearing britches to dancing, or, worst of all, drinking a Budweiser.

I had enough religion crammed down my throat in my formative years to do me for 150 lifetimes.

Personally, if I wanted to find God, I'd go to a mountaintop or a creekbank or deep in the woods among old, silent trees and growing things instead of a church full of Christians. I find the Cherokee ritual of "going to water" for spiritual purification and cleansing to be much more spiritual and honest and valuable than the time in my youth when I was held under the waters of a big hole in Jonathan Creek by two preachers who preached while they held me under until the bubbles about quit coming up, and then told me I was now going to Heaven instead of He11. If I didn't backslide.

I backslid.

And quit playing guitar and singing in church after I figured out that I could add electricity and get paid good money to do it in beer joints, and have a beer while I was doing it. :bounce:

LittleDrummerBoy

I had enough religion crammed down my throat in my formative years to do me for 150 lifetimes.

I backslid.

And quit playing guitar and singing in church after I figured out that I could add electricity and get paid good money to do it in beer joints, and have a beer while I was doing it. :bounce:

Sorry for your negative experiences with religious people.

Are you still playing guitar? Do you play out? My wife and I get a lot of joy and satisfaction playing in church on Sundays and Wednesday nights. I gave up the bar scene long ago. Even if we have a date night, my wife and I prefer to spend most Fri and Sat nights kicked back with a cold drink watching college football and/or just enjoying each other's company. We usually do have a practice run through of the songs planned for Sunday morning. We've checked out the local music scene a few times in person, and we keep our finger on the pulse of it keeping abreast of who's playing where by visiting the relevant web sites and YouTube channels. Maybe we're old fuddie duddies, but as far as we can tell, the best music locally is happening in churches on Sunday mornings.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry for your negative experiences with religious people.

Are you still playing guitar? Do you play out? My wife and I get a lot of joy and satisfaction playing in church on Sundays and Wednesday nights. I gave up the bar scene long ago. Even if we have a date night, my wife and I prefer to spend most Fri and Sat nights kicked back with a cold drink watching college football and/or just enjoying each other's company. We usually do have a practice run through of the songs planned for Sunday morning. We've checked out the local music scene a few times in person, and we keep our finger on the pulse of it keeping abreast of who's playing where by visiting the relevant web sites and YouTube channels. Maybe we're old fuddie duddies, but as far as we can tell, the best music locally is happening in churches on Sunday mornings.
I haven't played out in a band in over ten years. I got tired of never having a weekend and having to deal with irresponsible drunks and drug addicts, which, unfortunately, are the majority of the most gifted musicians you work with. I have indeed became a fuddy duddy too.

Madman

Is it a moral law or a cultural ordnance? I would suffice it to the vast majority of people in the current culture, men or women, would not know what head covering represents.

Many women in our church cover their heads with hats, scarves, or mantillas but it is not binding.

A lot of talking to the culture in 1 Cor. that needs to be studied.

Madman

...... the time in my youth when I was held under the waters of a big hole in Jonathan Creek by two preachers who preached while they held me under until the bubbles about quit coming up, and then told me I was now going to Heaven instead of He11. If I didn't backslide.
:cry:

LittleDrummerBoy

Is it a moral law or a cultural ordnance? I would suffice it to the vast majority of people in the current culture, men or women, would not know what head covering represents.

I suppose the angels probably know what it represents:

1 Corinthians 11:10 That is why a wife ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels.

LittleDrummerBoy

"Because of the angels" Angels in the Church such as messengers or lusting fallen angels?

In other passages, Scripture suggests the work of the church is expected to encounter both good angels and fallen angels. Since this specific passage does not resolve the ambiguity, I would keep an open mind regarding the possibilities. But I would also take care that the instruction for women to cover their heads is not for "in church" but rather when she "prays or prophesies."