Are single shot cartridge rifles that much of an advantage over muzzleloading rifles?

lampern

Is distance or a faster follow up shot more of an advantage when deer hunting?

People say a faster follow up shot trumps longer range capability. Do you agree?

lampern

I tend to agree. A muzzleloading gun that can shoot 500 yards accurately will trump a single shot cartridge than can only shoot 200 yards.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Every gun that I deer hunt with can shoot 500 yards accurately but I can't hold accurately enough at 500 yards to shoot one that far off. 250 is about my limit an anything that I want to kill cleanly.

No wto the question posed by the OP. I love front stuffers and have several. I like to shoot them more than I like to shoot more modern weapons but -- Single shot cartridge rifles pretty well replaced muzzleloading firearms by out performing them on many levels.

Last edited:

RipperIII

single shot rifles are inherently more powerful than muzzle loaders, with far greater range and typically better accuracy...follow up shots don't really enter in the equation

lampern

single shot rifles are inherently more powerful than muzzle loaders, with far greater range and typically better accuracy...follow up shots don't really enter in the equation

Thats not what I've heard and read about the new 350 Legend cartridge thats gaining popularity.

Long range magnum muzzleloaders in 45 and 50 cal far outclass and out range it.

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
My answer: I got both Encore with 209x50 barrel and a .308 barrel. Switch them back and forth all the time. I shoot less than 100 yards anyway so I'm good with both.

RipperIII

Thats not what I've heard and read about the new 350 Legend cartridge thats gaining popularity.

Long range magnum muzzleloaders in 45 and 50 cal far outclass and out range it.
thats one cartridge...try your muzzle loaders vs. the tiny .243

Waddams

I think in terms of simplicity vs. complexity. A single shot break action modern rifle in a decent deer caliber, when the shooter does his/her job right, the rifle is superior. And you have a lot less stuff to deal with. You just put a properly selected round in and put it on target. And in the event you need a second, it's for certain more efficient.

As for range, effectiveness, etc. - I dunno about the rest of you, but where I hunt it's all woods. And I can't see out past 100-150 yards even when the leaves are all fallen. So for me personally, I have no need of longer range under just about any circumstances. If someone out there wants to offer me access to a nice big private land farm with longer regular shot opportunities, I will gladly change my opinion as related to shot distance I need to be prepared for!

Rich M

I was wondering cause some places have rules where you can use straight wall during ML - not exactly sure where you are coming from. Can't use rimfire for big game.

I'd go with a single shot if having to choose between ML or SS - 350 Legend (staright wall) 7mm-08, 6.5 CM (bottlenecks) - keep the recoil below 15# and it'll be fun to shoot. The 7mm-08 and 6.5 CM are basically equal to 500 yds and will kill out past those ranges. 350 Legend is a 200-250 yard gun.

I've also got a 357 mag single shot - it kills deer very well inside 100-125 yards.

I'd prefer a bolt action myself - the costs is gonna be similar to a decent single shot. ML is fun for a bit but then you start to want more and we only have a 1 week season...

As for calibers - think about the ranges you'd expect to shoot and go from there.

I've been hunting deer for over 40 seasons and if I had just the 357 mag and 125 yd range limit, could have killed 90-95% of the deer I shot. The 5-10% that were 150-350 yards. If I had a 350 legend, would have been able to get 97-99% of the deer. As it was, been using 243 and 3006 and missed quite a few early on with 3006 due to flinching from the recoil & noise. Trying to use 243 these days cause it is easier to shoot - that's why i suggested 7mm-08 and 6.5 CM - good power but not overpowered.

Nimrod71

Faster follow up shots are better. I don't believe in second shots but they can make for a quicker and cleaner kill sometime. Where I hunt second shots would be hard to make, I hunt in branches and swamps and most of the time you can't see over 25 to 30 yds. The tress and brush make a second shot a almost impossible. Therefore, as a professional I only shoot when I believe I can kill the prey with one shot. Even when I hunt open areas I shoot for a one shot kill. To me one shot kills make for better hunting, separates professionals from blasters. Don't get me wrong sometimes you must make multiple shots to bring the game down, but I don't plan for multiple shots. I know some don't agree with all this, but I am old and my father taught me to kill with one shot. His father taught him that lesson from the old days when ammo was to expensive to waste.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Faster follow up shots are better. I don't believe in second shots but they can make for a quicker and cleaner kill sometime. Where I hunt second shots would be hard to make, I hunt in branches and swamps and most of the time you can't see over 25 to 30 yds. The tress and brush make a second shot a almost impossible. Therefore, as a professional I only shoot when I believe I can kill the prey with one shot. Even when I hunt open areas I shoot for a one shot kill. To me one shot kills make for better hunting, separates professionals from blasters. Don't get me wrong sometimes you must make multiple shots to bring the game down, but I don't plan for multiple shots. I know some don't agree with all this, but I am old and my father taught me to kill with one shot. His father taught him that lesson from the old days when ammo was to expensive to waste.

I agree with you. Every rifle I use is a single shot, from my centerfire to both my traditional muzzleloaders.

rugerfan

I was also taught one shot one kill. Not to empty a firearm at what you are aiming at.

Was taught not to take the shot, unless you are certain that you can hit the target.

Bear10

I also believe in the one shot kill when hunting but it also depends on how many animals you are trying to kill at one time as I’m not always shooting at deer. I’ve killed multiple animals within seconds of each other with my encore rifle, I would not have been able to accomplish this with a muzzleloader.