Are single shot cartridge rifles that much of an advantage over muzzleloading rifles?

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Whether it's a single shot rifle or a muzzleloader, we are hunting. We're not laying down grazing fire so that we can advance on the deer's position and take his defended hill. One shot should be enough.

Nimrod71

I am taking my Thompson Center 7-30 Waters hunting in the morning. I know I will kill a big buck with it. Haven't hunted with it is over 20 years.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Whether it's a single shot rifle or a muzzleloader, we are hunting. We're not laying down grazing fire so that we can advance on the deer's position and take his defended hill. One shot should be enough.

Yeah but --

What if they is two of em?

What if you don't kill him quite dead and he is trying to get back up and leave?

What if they is a black panther?

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Yeah but --

What if they is two of em?-Pick the bigger one.

What if you don't kill him quite dead and he is trying to get back up and leave?-Track him.

What if they is a black panther?-Don't shoot him. It's not panther season.

There you go, answers above.

treemanjohn

Banned
Yep. Take great care before you pull the trigger. That includes the weeks leading up to the hunt

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Yep. Take great care before you pull the trigger. That includes the weeks leading up to the hunt
I think one of the greatest targets to test your effective range is a 6 inch paper plate. If you can hit that paper plate consistently at any range, that's the range that you can effectively take a deer providing you are shooting in the shoulder area.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I think one of the greatest targets to test your effective range is a 6 inch paper plate. If you can hit that paper plate consistently at any range, that's the range that you can effectively take a deer providing you are shooting in the shoulder area.

Back when Jim Carmichael took the reins from Jack O`Connor as a gunwriter, he stated that if you could take your favorite rifle, shoot 10 times at an 8 inch pie plate at 100 yards, offhand, and hit it every time, you could consider yourself a crackerjack shot.