Arrow choice

NSU1984

Looking to swap arrows for this upcoming season. I currently use the Gold Tip Hunter HT arrows with a 340 spine. I shoot a Mathews V3X at 60-62lbs.

What’s your arrow of choice?

Hunter922

GoldTip Velocity Pro 340S or Kinetic Platinum pierce..

James12

Shoot same bow but the previous year’s model….used to shoot Easton Hexx’s, just switched to VAP TKOs. Went with Gold Tip originally and had a bad customer service ordeal, oddly bad, so returned em’.

James12

Having now shot the VAP TKOs (4mm) for a minute, they’re becoming my favorite. A much different flight and overall difference from the Hexxs (6mm) I loved n shot so long. The weight is more distributed in these with my setup.

1Gabowhunter

Sirius Orion is what I’m going with this year.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I’m gonna be shooting my same Walmart box arrows with a .350 spine, but I did get another box of the Blood Hunters, also .350. I’ve used them before and like them as much as the mossy oaks.
I’m gonna have to get set up as a first timer this year, since I’m switching from righty to lefty. I just had my wife measure my wingspan and using the “divided by 2.5” method, my DL should be 27.2. Even though I am starting from scra, I’ll be using these same arrows.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
I’m gonna be shooting my same Walmart box arrows with a .350 spine, but I did get another box of the Blood Hunters, also .350. I’ve used them before and like them as much as the mossy oaks.
I’m gonna have to get set up as a first timer this year, since I’m switching from righty to lefty. I just had my wife measure my wingspan and using the “divided by 2.5” method, my DL should be 27.2. Even though I am starting from scra, I’ll be using these same arrows.
How long are the arrows?

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
How long are the arrows?
Bloodsports are 31”, but typically I buy the 29 & 31” Mossy Oaks, then cut the tips down to +/- 26.5”, and add new inserts, lighted nocks and fletchings. My draw length has only been like 26 since I’ve been shooting improvised. I won’t do anything with the new arrows again until I’m shooting the new bow, proper like. I’m not pulling with the new shoulder, just holding the bow. I’m hoping I can max out my limbs at 60#, and then build arrows. Until then, I’ll have it down to 45#(lowest setting) and will just shoot box arrows…..a lot of maybes and hopefuls.
I’d like to add another 25 gr to either my tips or inserts and then I’ll be at about 510-515…..but not sure I’m shooting fast enough

notnksnemor

Bloodsports are 31”, but typically I buy the 29 & 31” Mossy Oaks, then cut the tips down to +/- 26.5”, and add new inserts, lighted nocks and fletchings. My draw length has only been like 26 since I’ve been shooting improvised. I won’t do anything with the new arrows again until I’m shooting the new bow, proper like. I’m not pulling with the new shoulder, just holding the bow. I’m hoping I can max out my limbs at 60#, and then build arrows. Until then, I’ll have it down to 45#(lowest setting) and will just shoot box arrows…..a lot of maybes and hopefuls.
I’d like to add another 25 gr to either my tips or inserts and then I’ll be at about 510-515…..but not sure I’m shooting fast enough
Just going from memory, and I admit it's been a while, I think you are over spined with 350 shafts at 26.5" for your 50 lb. set up maybe even 60 lb.
A 400 -500 spine would sound closer.

ddd-shooter

Just going from memory, and I admit it's been a while, I think you are over spined with 350 shafts at 26.5" for your 50 lb. set up maybe even 60 lb.
A 400 -500 spine would sound closer
Agree.
No need to be that heavy with a short draw and low poundage

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
A 400 -500 spine would sound closer.
Certainly won’t disagree , but available spines were 500 & 350. With the added 100gr insert(vs 13ish) upfront those 500s we’re all over the place! The 350s fly true as I can tell.
If I’m adding weight up front that’s gonna require a stiffer spine right? Like I said, I’ll be starting from scratch, but might(should) have a 27” DL. While y’all are helping me figure this out, I’d like to add even more weight upfront. I’d like to add another 50gr maybe, but at least 25 upfront. But I don’t want to sacrifice too much speed……trying to find that happy medium! Currently my arrows are 484 gr with a high FOC, but I forgot what it was.
BTW- thanks for all the info!

notnksnemor

If you really want to see how your arrows are flying, shave the fletching off one and shoot the bare shaft at about 10 yards.

It should fly the same or similar as a fletched shaft.

ddd-shooter

Certainly won’t disagree , but available spines were 500 & 350. With the added 100gr insert(vs 13ish) upfront those 500s we’re all over the place! The 350s fly true as I can tell.
If I’m adding weight up front that’s gonna require a stiffer spine right? Like I said, I’ll be starting from scratch, but might(should) have a 27” DL. While y’all are helping me figure this out, I’d like to add even more weight upfront. I’d like to add another 50gr maybe, but at least 25 upfront. But I don’t want to sacrifice too much speed……trying to find that happy medium! Currently my arrows are 484 gr with a high FOC, but I forgot what it was.
BTW- thanks for all the info!
Why do you want more weight? It’s not needed, and with a short draw and low weight, you’ll only suffer performance.
I’d wanna be around 400-450 max at your specs.
My wife shoots 50# 27.5” draw and she’s hitting hard at 400

ddd-shooter

Also, highly recommend trying a bunch of different shafts. You used to be able to buy one shaft at a time at Lancaster archery.
Might look into that if you’re on the fence

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Why do you want more weight? It’s not needed, and with a short draw and low weight, you’ll only suffer performance.
I’d wanna be around 400-450 max at your specs.
My wife shoots 50# 27.5” draw and she’s hitting hard at 400
So at 484gr arrow weight, you think I’m as heavy as I should be, maybe too heavy? My heavier arrows stick in my target further than stock ….seems like they should penetrate better in a deer. That would be my main desire for a heavier arrow. I believe I’ve had less tail wiggle with the heavier inserts too. I did the calculation a while back and I think my FOC s on the favorable end.

If you really want to see how your arrows are flying, shave the fletching off one and shoot the bare shaft at about 10 yards.

It should fly the same or similar as a fletched shaft.
I’ve done this into paper, adjusting the nock as I try for a perfect hole. But I am guilty of not doing it every time like I should if I’m gonna make an arrow. I’ve gotten close, but no perfect holes. I blame that on the shooter though.