Arrow set up

NSU1984

Was wondering what kind of arrows you guys are using. I currently have the Eason Axis in a 340 with 9.5 GPI. I am running low though so i need to replenish for the upcoming deer season. Also, mechanical or fixed broadheads? I am currently using shwackers but am contemplating on switching things up this year. Any suggestions?

ssramage

I tried a set of heavy arrows this summer and just couldn't get them to tune worth a darn out of my bow. I got a deal on my old arrows last year and still have a pile of them, so I went with what I knew.

GT Hunter 340 spine, cut to 28.75" with 100gr up front. Total arrow weight is right around 400gr, but they fly really well. I have been using Grim Reaper Whitetail Specials but am still thinking of switching to fixed blade this year. Likely the Slick Trick Razor Tricks.

burkehunter

I've been shooting Beman ICS Hunters for a couple years now. Blazer vanes. Standard inserts and nocks. Im switching from rage to exodus broadheads to start with. I may switch between rage 2 blade, exodus, and wac em 2 blade. All 100 gr broadheads. The setup is around 415 grains. I may switch to a little heavier and smaller diameter shaft after this season.

HabershamHunter85

I found some Carbon Express Adrenaline 250 spine on sale so I bought 12 of them. I've always shot 250's, but this year I added a 200 grain insert and 100 grain Magnus 2 blade buzzcuts. Over 500 grains right now, been tuning all weekend and man they are hitting good. Had to buy a new target, my bag target couldn't stand it.

Bubba_1122

It matters what arrow you shoot with the bow that you have (kind of hard to translate what others shoot into what you should be shooting).

Decide what arrow you want to shoot. Then go to the arrow manufacturer‘s site and see what spine you need for the bow you’re shooting (function of draw weight and a number of other factors).

Here’s a good starting point for Easton: https://eastonarchery.com/hunting shaft selector/

I shoot a Triax set at about 57 lb. I shoot Easton FMJ‘s with a 400 spine. Shooting 3 degree right helical with a 100 grain Ramcat Hydroshock on the tip.

Last edited:

Ihunt

I found some Carbon Express Adrenaline 250 spine on sale so I bought 12 of them. I've always shot 250's, but this year I added a 200 grain insert and 100 grain Magnus 2 blade buzzcuts. Over 500 grains right now, been tuning all weekend and man they are hitting good. Had to buy a new target, my bag target couldn't stand it.

Carbon a Express rates their spines differently and a 250 is a weaker spine. If you have that much weight upfront I would assume you way under spined unless you’re shooting a very low DW and a short DL.

Ihunt

I've been shooting Beman ICS Hunters for a couple years now. Blazer vanes. Standard inserts and nocks. Im switching from rage to exodus broadheads to start with. I may switch between rage 2 blade, exodus, and wac em 2 blade. All 100 gr broadheads. The setup is around 415 grains. I may switch to a little heavier and smaller diameter shaft after this season.

I doubt you’ll want or need a heavier arrow after using those Exodus

HabershamHunter85

Carbon a Express rates their spines differently and a 250 is a weaker spine. If you have that much weight upfront I would assume you way under spined unless you’re shooting a very low DW and a short DL.
Yea I figured that out after the fact, I got some 300 spine Gold tips in the mail today i'm going to set up.

Lumpkin Hunter

I'm shooting a GT velocity 29.25", 50 grain added weight to the tip for around 12% FOC, Fob fletched, Nocturnal nock or a Nap lighted nock and a Black Hornet serrazor 100 gr with bleeder blades total arrow weight is 467 g. Can't wait to send one through the rib cage of a deer come Sept.

ssramage

I tried a set of heavy arrows this summer and just couldn't get them to tune worth a darn out of my bow. I got a deal on my old arrows last year and still have a pile of them, so I went with what I knew.

GT Hunter 340 spine, cut to 28.75" with 100gr up front. Total arrow weight is right around 400gr, but they fly really well. I have been using Grim Reaper Whitetail Specials but am still thinking of switching to fixed blade this year. Likely the Slick Trick Razor Tricks.

I couldn't leave well enough alone. While the above arrows flew really well, I had it stuck in my head that I wanted a heavier arrow. Found out most of my tuning issues were related to an older rest that was failing. Replaced it and went with the below setup.

Gold Tip Hunter XT .300, cut to 29"
2" Blazer vanes (3)
100gr Ethics Insert
Nocturnal nock
125gr Slick Trick Razortricks

Should put me right around 535gr and flies very well in my setup.

benellisbe

I am running Easton Axis 5mm 300 spine, 75 grain brass insert, 125 gr head with FOBs. 530 total grains. They fly extremely well out of my RX3.

hambone76

Easton 2018 with 190 grain TreeSharks from a 55# Hoyt Dorado. Total arrow weight is around 630 grains.