ATV / UTV Food Plot Attachments

snooker1

My new lease has 2 areas that have been food plots in the past but have not been touched in over a year. I would like to get them back up and going again. I do not have access to a tractor, but I do have a 500 side by side and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on attachments for my side by side to help me turn the soil. I have read a bunch of reviews on different pieces but the reviews seemed to be mixed as far as if they are worth the money. Not looking to spend a ton of money. The areas are not big they are about 1/2 acre each. Looking for something to tow behind a Polaris 500 side by side.

Gaswamp

buy a sprayer attachment and make u a pull drag and forget turning soil. then hand spread wheat

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
I'd get a soil test done first. That can tell us where you are starting from. When you do send the sample in, tell them you're going to plant clover and cereal grains. Broadcast their lime recommendations, now.

I assume you have a fair amount of shade? Any pictures?

What type of soil do you have? Is it heavy clay or more sandy loam? That answer will help others here make some suggestions on ATV/UTV equipment.

Do you have a pull behind spreader now?

If you don't have a sprayer, I think that would be the first thing that I would invest in. A 25 gallon sprayer + glyphosate can nuke a lot of what is probably there and start cleaning up the soil.

If you don't buy any other equipment this year, I would buy the sprayer and spray the 2nd week in September and then broadcast just the seed & fertilizer on top of the ground, in early October, before a rain. I'd choose wheat, crimson clover, arrowleaf clover, Durana white clover and maybe Dwarf Essex Rape.

If your property has never been limed, this might give you an idea of you soil ph. What does it look like to you?

soil ph map.JPG

Do you have any mineral sites there now?

Do you have any water sources close by? If not, dig a small pond in a low spot?

There are a lot of people who plant using the "throw and mow" method.

https://forum.gon.com/threads/throw-and-mow-plots-update.929798/#post-11439124

https://forum.gon.com/threads/a-new-planting-technique.877545/

B. White

Get the forestry service to plow it. It sounds high, until you see how much they can do in an hour. UTV and ATV do ok to drag it after sowing, but that is about all I would try to do with it.