Ballistic Tip ???

pseshooter

I bought a 7mm08 and went to go buy some amo and all they had was Hornady Lite Mag Ballistic Tips in 139 grain. I have heard some negative press on Ballistic Tips but wanted to sight my rifle in. It was very accurate at 100 and 200 yards. My question is how are they at close range lets say 50yds. I will be buying some other rounds and taking out to the range asap but am I OK to hunt this weekend. Any help or commnts will be great. I believe I am going to try Federal Vital Shock Nosler Partitions but will be next week before they come in. Thanks in advance.

Randy

I shoot only ballistic tips in my 7mm-08. But remember they, as with any bullett in my opinion, should be placed in the heart lung region. If you have to shoot from one end to the other or through the shoulder or in the hams, shoot a partition. Put one in the boiler room and you will have nothig to worry about.

pseshooter

Randy

I only shoot in the boiler room. It must be because of my bow hunting training. I have never shot a deer anywhere but the heart and lung section. As with anything there seems to be alot of negative press with deer running off because of the ballistic tip. I am sure there is equally as many that run off using other style of bullets. I am going to give it a try in the AM. I have seen to nice bucks at about 50yds 3x now and I have had my bow. It's is now time to harvest.

pseshooter

D2d

Maybe I should have said I have a 16.5 barrel. D2D this Ruger Compact is a champ much better than the other we have been talking about. What do you think I should try?Thanks

pseshooter

Bullets

Is anyone making a Barnes X in 7mm08. That would be another choice I would try. I am not sure they would be as accurate as the Hornady SST.

Randy

You won't get 2800 fps out of a 16.5" barrell but don't sweat the small stuff. You will have plenty. Probably more like 2500 fps. but that is plenty. It takes a lot to get 2800 out of a 20 tube.

georgiaboy

I think you will actually benefit by being below the 3000fps mark when using ballistic tips. I have had great success with them in slower rounds and I do not use them for anything faster, like a 7mm RM. The best ballistic tip load I used in factory ammo was the 150 gr. CorBon load. Keep in mind I have never killed anything with my 7-08, but it is very similar to a .308!

J Gilbert

I second the post about Winchester Supreme FailSafes, they're my favorite bullets. Put one of these in the shoulder (my favorite shot on bucks) or in the boiler room and the deer is dead, no questions asked

Latest posts