Bear hunting when it gets cold

Caseypatton

This is my second season hunting the mountain for bears killed one Nov 5th last year missed a good one last week is my time running out due to the colder days or will they still move

kayaksteve

Been a tough year already for bears. Not for lack of bears. They just don’t have to move if they don’t want and can hide nearly anywhere and have all they want to eat. They’ll still be out and about but a little tougher to find than some years. The later in the year it gets, the harder they are to come by.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
They will still move, but if you have a lot of mast, they move less. Seen tracks in the snow of a sow and cub in December in the snow, plus more singles that same day, no real hibernation minus the pregnant females.

Our hound season runs to December 31st I believe, then a mountaineer heritage season that's open to bear, deer and turkey mid January with primitive weapons (side/flintlock rifles/shotgun, recurve/long bow)

tree cutter 08

Usually on bumper crop years like this you won't start seeing them until November. With that said seen sow and 4 cubs yesterday and my cams are starting to finally light up with bears. They will flat mess your deer huntin spots up over the next few weeks. Hot buck sign this week and will be full of bear mess the next.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Around here, the sows are usually denned up by mid-late December, but there are still some boars out moving if the weather is nice. Our late bear season here runs from the second week of December until Jan. 1, and there are always several killed during that time. Not as good as the early season, but if the weather is decent, there are still some moving.

crackerdave

I admire anybody who can hunt those hills and drag a fat bear out of there.
Gotta be in good shape!

KentuckyHeadhunter

Hunt em til the end. They will become slightly more predictable as mast declines in core areas. Eventually they will have to travel from their safe space and find more.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Up here with no mast, boars can den as early as October.
The bear season doesn't even open here until mid-October.

HunterJoe24

This is my second season hunting the mountain for bears killed one Nov 5th last year missed a good one last week is my time running out due to the colder days or will they still move
Weather that’s so cold and miserable you don’t want to go out in is a bears ideal weather. They will be out as long as there is food. They don’t dem because of the cold but because of the lack of food

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I admire anybody who can hunt those hills and drag a fat bear out of there.
Gotta be in good shape!

Like trying to drag a waterbed... The wrists and the ankles were too big to get your hand around so you could only reach down there and grab a fistful of fur.
Good thing it was all downhill to the truck.
Bad thing it was ONE MILE to the truck.
Not in wilderness though so was able to use the game cart...
Good buddy to come help at a moment's notice is worth its weight in gold.
:)
I wanted to get one more before my knees couldn't take it anymore. But did that and now I want to get one more...
:bounce:
I hope to put some more effort to it after Thanksgiving during the mountain rut...