Beauty Is In The Eyes Of The Beholder OR

Nimrod71

A funny thing happened to me today. My wife would say I shouldn't tale this but things do happen. This morning I decided to ride up to the LGS looking to see what bullets, gun powder and new rifles may have come in. Like most hunters I am getting ready for deer season and I need to load up some 308s to check my rifle and practice up. My bullet of choice is Sierra 150 gr. Pro Hunters. When I got to the store and started looking around my eyes were drawn to the reloading isle, I could see some bullets and powder had been added since last Saturday. As I started looking I noticed the prices were lower than what I had seen last week. When I got to the 30 Cal. section there appeared 12 new boxes of Sierras. I was excited since last week there were none. They were 125, 168 and 150 grain. I was excited I picked up the 150s and they were Pro Hunters. I started walking to the checkout with a box when a friend ask me to look at a scope with him. He was looking at both Trijicon and Nightforce and was having a hard time deciding which one to get. We talked for about and hour and he ask me to help him mount the scope, a Trijicon 5-20. I walked out of the store with him got in my truck and drove off without the bullets.

When I got home my wife ask what I bought at the store and why I was late getting back. I told her about mounting the scope an then I remember I had forgotten the bullets. So, I got back in the truck and drove back to the LGS went in, the bullets were still on the counter where I had left them. I picked them up and handed them to Willie to ring out. I told Willie I was glad they had gotten them in and that I really needed them. Then he ask, what kind of 8 mm do you have. WHAT??? Willie said these are 150 gr. 8 mm. My heart sank, my Beautiful box of Sierra 30 cal Pro Hunters turned into a old box of 8 mm.

This kind of proves there is something to the eyes will see what the mind wants to see. Beauty is truly in the eyes of the Beholder.

Darkhorse

Funny how that works.
Some years ago we bred my black arabian stallion to one of my black mares. We got a beautiful black filly and that would prove to be the last time we would breed him.
This little girl was the most precious baby horse we have ever had. I imprint all my foals at birth and it really took on this one. She almost seemed to worship me, just walking up to me to get some attention then pressing her head against my chest. She was my shadow.
And yes, we spoiled her. She got special attention in all things. I hated to see the day my little filly would grow up.
Then one day early this year the wife and I rode back there to feed the horses. Little Windsong was walking away from the round bale and the 3 geldings she ran with. I knew immediately something wasn't right, then I saw the copious amounts of bright red blood gushing from her ankle. It's hard to believe how much blood a horse holds. The ground was soaked from all the rain and the mud was deep but she limped right through it to get under shelter.
It tore me up to see that little horse in that condition and I dropped everything and started rounding up padding and stretchable tape and salve. I've doctored many horses and knew just what to do. First thing was to call my step son for help. I have a center stall used for foaling but it was sitting empty. So we moved some fence panels around and cleaned the floors while Windsong just stood there looking at me.
I pulled back a panel to give her access and she came right to me. A young filly walked through that opening and a grown one came out the other side.
I didn't take time to dwell on it right then as I had to concentrate on what I was doing but later the more I looked at her the bigger she got.
I asked my wife "When did she get so big she's still just a baby?" My wife said "I've been trying to tell you she's not a baby any longer, she's 19 years old."
It took me several days to come to grips with it. All this time I had been seeing little more than a foal. Really, honestly, seeing her as a young horse. For years my mind saw what I wanted it to see. If it hadn't happened to me I wouldn't have believed it.
This is what she really looks like. The photo was taken several weeks after she got cut. You can still see the remnants of the bandage on her foot.
It's obvious now she's no baby horse.
IMG-7698.jpg

chuckdog

With all the stuff we look at, all the labels and fine print, it's a wonder we don't make more mistakes.

Being a handloader you're likely one of the more cautious label readers. We're all human, so it does happen.

Sounds like my kind of shop. Instead of just ringing you up, you have a fellow interested enough to ask what you're loading .323" in?

Reactions: Dub

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Seeing what you want to see must work with dogs too. Mine still think I am the greatest thing since sliced bread.

rosewood

Guilty as charged. I went to load up some berrys 180 gr in my 40 S&W last night. Loaded up the entire 250 round box. Noticed when I was loading the primers in the drop tube, I had taken primers out of 2 sleeves and was wondering why. Got those finished and converted press over to .223, started looking for the CCI small magnum rifle primers and couldn't find that partial sleeve. Then it hit me. Dug through trashcan and realized I had loaded about 70 of those 250 round with small magnum rifle primers. These new CCI primer boxes are not so different. The small pistol has red mark with small pistol and the small magnum rifle is just a slightly different shade of red.

Well, I checked my loads and am a full grain below max with power pistol. Since these are plinking loads, they are just gonna ride. Ain't gonna pull 250 rounds and toss 250 primers at todays prices. May have a few snaps from light primer strikes, but we will have to see.

Rosewood

rosewood