Best 243

delacroix

BANNED
Thee best
.243 to drop them is one you shoot well on perfectly selected shots. You do that with anything, even a .223.

The best for what people can generally get out of a .243 is a 6.5 Grendel. The best for what people expect out of a one is a .260.

Core Lokt

There may be a better bullet than a 100 gr CL in .243 but I have never had a reason to try to find it. It has preformed very well for many years for several people I know.

You can shoot a deer with a 300 mag and it still run off. Shot placement is the key here.

Jim Boyd

Barnes TSX is the most lethal projectile I have ever seen.

Any properly constructed bullet will serve well, IF you do your part.

Deer are, generally speaking, a pretty fragile animal.

The proof is this is shown in the fact that they are so easily taken by an arrow.

Best of luck this year!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
100 gr Power Points

sghoghunter

Barnes TSX is the most lethal projectile I have ever seen.

Any properly constructed bullet will serve well, IF you do your part.

Deer are, generally speaking, a pretty fragile animal.

The proof is this is shown in the fact that they are so easily taken by an arrow.

Best of luck this year!
I tried the tsx's a few yrs ago in my 243 and I lost two of the three that I shot with them due to no blood trail. I could see where they would do good going through bone but I like to shoot mine like the pic below.

Attachments

• IMG_7445.PNG
    IMG_7445.PNG
    427.8 KB · Views: 28

Jim Boyd

I lost two of the three that I shot with them due to no blood trail. I like to shoot mine like the pic below.

With the shot placed at your dot, that is most assuredly a dead deer and within not very many yards.

Doubled lunged, most deer are not going to go far.

I have even seen gut shot deer with a Barnes go no more than 20 yards.

If you have better luck with another projectile, then that is the one for you!

I have not gun hunted in several years now, but in the last 6-8 years I did, I used the Barnes exclusively and every deer was DRT.

Admittedly, those were shot with a 7-08 - which is a close cousin to a .243.

We have some doe thinning to do this year so I will likely test the Barnes out again.