Best Grill Under $200

Dub

One thing to keep in mind.....Academy carries the line of Old Country Pits.

They have a number of interesting styles....ranging from vertical to traditional Texas-styled offset. They also display them (at least the two local stores do) outside during the Summer. These get some minor surface rust in places and they will discount them right about now until they move out.

I picked up their Pecos model offset for a steal last year.

Took it home and hit the very minor rust spots with a wire brush and then painted the grill with Rustoleum Grill Paint.....a couple coats over a few days....let it cure up in the garage and then seasoned it all over with canola oil.

It is a super fun grill to cook on.....however, it's a big weapon if all I want to do is a small cook...that's when I'll break out one of the kettles.

Bream Pole

seasoned my Char Griller Wrangler his afternoon and decided to raise the coals and cook a steak (wife at an eating meeting) after an hour or so of seasoning heat. Steak was very good. Then threw on a couple of pieces of oak I had dried out to provide an aroma to the grill. Used Weber charcoal briquettes that are glued together with natural vegetable stuff.

Reactions: Dub

Dub

Burned the new smoker in this morning, going to put some ribs on in a few

Awesome !!!!!

Now.....you know the rules.....kindly take us along for the ride.....let's see that new grill at work. :)

Wycliff

Awesome !!!!!

Now.....you know the rules.....kindly take us along for the ride.....let's see that new grill at work. :)

Got to find out how to resize photos, it runs a little hotter or more even than my stick burner. I did tried 3-1-1 and almost made rib soup at 225. So I guess I’ll be trying 2-1-1 next time

But there's a catch. 8 years on the hardware is a significant amount of time for rust and other issues to arise. You'd have to be able to distinguish between typical crazing and real cracks by attentively inspecting the lid and base.
The internals will be easier to inspect......look at the internal ports and edges...this is where the cracks will start.

Check to see if Primo offers replacement parts for the model, and if so, what the pricing are.
By no means am I trying to frighten you away...just sharing my experience with ceramic kamado grills. At some time, parts will fail. I've had them fixed fast thanks to my warranty, and I've never been without power on a weekend.
A well-functioning kamado grill, in my opinion, is the ideal grill for any little household.

The main disadvantage is its lack of mobility, as well as the nature of ceramics (which have amazing cooking properties....think pizza oven....but will break at some point....could be 5 months or 5 years).

It heats up rapidly and, as previously said, can cook anything. You can easily cook it in a kamado if you can cook it in an oven.

Last edited: