Big Timber Rattler

LTZ25

Those rattlers are the reason we moved out of Greene Co. We killed an average of 6 every summer in the yard. Last July our dog got bit by one in the yard. A $600 anti vemon shot and 4 days in the animal hospital was the deciding factor!
They don't live around Milledgeville do they .

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I don't make a habit of killing rattlesnakes these days, but the two largest I ever dispatched had 15 and 16 rattles respectively. The 15 was 52" minus his head and I found him crossing the AT in Suches. I've had those rattles on a necklace hanging from my rearview for years. I once had a girl riding with me and it suddenly dawned on her what they were and she tried to leave the truck!

The 16 was just a few weeks later while I was doing some early season deer scouting and he was in the old logging road I was walking. I didn't measure him, as I had nothing to tote him in and didn't want to carry a squirming, stinking snake all afternoon, but he was bigger than the first.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
If you get a 5 foot canebrake-timber, you got a big snake. You get a 6 footer you got a one about as big as they get. Biggest one of them I ever got was a shade over 5 feet.

Vivian

A few years ago we had a six foot Diamondback visit us where I grew up in Dade Co . Ga . , it had 23 rattles and a button....

keithsto

Someone on the book of faces posted about this one which was killed in Bostwick (Morgan County).

38459104_10214743959465145_6013431080323907584_n.jpg38459104_10214743959465145_6013431080323907584_n.jpg

Argent11

We had a five foot ring tail last month on our porch, that thing was very aggressive. Hissing, rattling striking in the air at the dogs. Moving a lot, it was hard to get a good bead on its head with a 22. It wouldn't even try to get away it kept coming at us. Three shots I finally got it, sometimes you just gotta kill em.

Argent11

At our age you get hit by one of those you might not make it. Then there is the dad gum black widows and the brown recluse. I have an Apache buddy who got nailed by a recluse on the shoulder. That really messed him up.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
We had a five foot ring tail last month on our porch, that thing was very aggressive. Hissing, rattling striking in the air at the dogs. Moving a lot, it was hard to get a good bead on its head with a 22. It wouldn't even try to get away it kept coming at us. Three shots I finally got it, sometimes you just gotta kill em.

The rattler was coming at you?

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
At our age you get hit by one of those you might not make it. Then there is the dad gum black widows and the brown recluse. I have an Apache buddy who got nailed by a recluse on the shoulder. That really messed him up.

I just got over a brown widow spider bite on the finger a little over 3 weeks ago. It wasn`t as bad as I`ve heard they are.

Argent11

Skunks under the house also. Cat food laced with anti freeze takes care of that problem. B12 carb cleaner for all the bad insects like spiders.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
But I didn't want it on the property. So to us it appeared as aggressive.

Reason I was asking is because I`ve never run into an aggressive snake of any kind. Defensive, yes, but never aggressive.

georgia357

Cat food laced with anti freeze takes care of that problem.

That sounds kinda cruel, I've heard that that is a real painful way to die.

Latest posts