Blue crabs

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
This is what we use for the set it and forget it. View attachment 1218103
Careful where you store it. We had a bunch of stray kittens get in it and couldn't get out. We keep it in the shed now. :bounce:

I set one of those out in the flats one time not realizing how much the tide would go out. I looked out there the next morning to see a small raccoon stuck in it, I had to figure a way to get that rascal out :oops:.

Waddams

We always had good luck growing up when we set 'em in the tidal marshes, particularly near where side channels flowed into the bigger channels. Near where the tide changes showed the most usually worked well too.

Then we'd go fish the rising tide at the same spots. The ocean flowing in brought stuff to nibble, the little brackish fishes and crabs came out, and that brought flounder, striper, and reds (among others) to nibble the little fishes. Would action on falling tide too but not as much usually. We'd usually go home with big buckets full of crabs and a nice haul of fish for a big old crab picking and fish fry at my grandparent's how.

When the tide change lined up at sunset we to watch out, we'd be really tired from fighting fish on the line non-stop. Something about dusk made the light underwater shimmer more on the bait. The fish couldn't resist.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
What guidance do y’all have regarding the larger “set it and forget it” kind of traps? Too many choices, do they all work really?
image.jpg
These with chicken necks. (The big one in the back is just for holding til you get enough to eat.)

pottydoc

Got to have a FL saltwater fishing license, and a bluecrab stamp for the ones you aren’t monitoring. Just the license and stamp for the ones you’re actively watching

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I set one of those out in the flats one time not realizing how much the tide would go out. I looked out there the next morning to see a small raccoon stuck in it, I had to figure a way to get that rascal out :oops:.
Just reach your hand in there and grab ahold to it. It knows you won’t hurt it lol

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
There ain’t none in Eastpoint. Can’t catch one to save my life. Strange.

slow motion

There ain’t none in Eastpoint. Can’t catch one to save my life. Strange.
None in the bay but traps everywhere from Ochlockonee Bay seaward. Like running a slalom course in the boat. No trout that I could find though.