Book Loads and Velocity

furtaker

Just curious as to what everyone's experience is regarding actual chronographed velocity vs. published velocity of your handloads.

Nosler seems to really embellish their velocities on their site. I've found many loads to be 150-200fps slower than advertised. Yeah I know barrel length can make a difference, but not that much unless it's maybe 4-6 inches. And I've found that data can sometimes be backwards. In my 240 Wby, a mid-range load of Magnum shoots about 150fps faster than a max load of 7828 and Nosler lists 7828 as giving more velocity.

From what I've noticed, Hodgdon seems to be more realistic with the velocities they list. Several loads I've chronographed with their data is pretty close.

I generally just try to match factory load velocities in my guns and stop there as long as accuracy is good. That's plenty to kill a deer and my rifle and brass will last longer.

What are your experiences and expectations?

I load near the top of published spec for most rifles. As for matching published velocities, it's not something I dwell on. Some barrels are simply faster than others. You know the saying about the man with one rifle usually knows how to use it. That's only the one's that shoot that one rifle though.

It's rare for me to shoot more than 200 yards. Honestly I've lost a bit of my confidence as I don't practice like I once did.

For me a chrono is more for finding a consistent velocity. With a 100 grain .243 Win the difference between a consistent 2800 fps and 3000 fps usually isn't a big deal at shorter ranges.

furtaker

There is a lot of variation in book data too. Some manuals show a couple or three grains different max loads for the same powder and bullet. Every rifle is different.

deerslayer357

Have been using Alliant online data and the Hornady No 9 manual. Picked up the Lyman 50th edition with my recent Dillon purchase and was shocked at the differences in max loads and velocities. Lyman had much lower max loads than Alliant and Hornady

trial&error

Remember your not shooting everything out of a 24" barrel, or whatever length they used. Factory ammo comes up short to.

rosewood

In my experience, lots of load manuals and bullet manufacturers lie about their velocity. Helps sales. Every now and then, I find a load that meets the advertised velocity and on rare occasion, a tad faster. I think the manufacturers have had the habit of lying for years, and the availability and pricing of chronographs has shined a light on them. I have also seen some load data is from a longer barrel. For example, see lots of 38 special data measured from a 7.5" barrel. I mean, who shoots 38 specials in a 7.5" barrel (yes I know they are out there). Most guns are 3" or less. So that data leaves you guessing what you might get out of the shorter barrels.

Does seem more modern load data (usually for newer powders) has been closer to reality though.

Rosewood

rosewood

Have been using Alliant online data and the Hornady No 9 manual. Picked up the Lyman 50th edition with my recent Dillon purchase and was shocked at the differences in max loads and velocities. Lyman had much lower max loads than Alliant and Hornady
I find Lyman is always conservative on their load data. Not sure why, maybe they have a paranoid lawyer working for them.

Rosewood

rosewood

Remember your not shooting everything out of a 24" barrel, or whatever length they used. Factory ammo comes up short to.
And many times, they are using a test barrel, not a real gun barrel. Betting they have better sealed chambers and some may may even be smooth bore.

Rosewood

Dub

Somewhere around here I have the current Speer manual.

It does not suck.

The charges & velocities listed appear to be more along the lines of the full-flavored variety compared to the other bullet maker manuals which seem to be throttled back.

bighonkinjeep

Only 4"-6"??? That's a lot when it comes to barrel length. Also a different powder may achieve a more complete burn in a shorter or longer barrel explaining why your results may vary from published book numbers. When you start changing factors in a rocket science equation, results often differ.

furtaker

In my experience, lots of load manuals and bullet manufacturers lie about their velocity. Helps sales. Every now and then, I find a load that meets the advertised velocity and on rare occasion, a tad faster. I think the manufacturers have had the habit of lying for years, and the availability and pricing of chronographs has shined a light on them. I have also seen some load data is from a longer barrel. For example, see lots of 38 special data measured from a 7.5" barrel. I mean, who shoots 38 specials in a 7.5" barrel (yes I know they are out there). Most guns are 3" or less. So that data leaves you guessing what you might get out of the shorter barrels.

Does seem more modern load data (usually for newer powders) has been closer to reality though.

Rosewood
Yeah, most factory ammo is short of advertised velocity. Some of them are pretty close though and I've shot a couple that actually exceeded advertised speeds. Federal Fusions get pretty honest speeds from what I've seen. Blue box Federal on the other hand is slow, as are Remington CoreLokts.

The worst one I've ever seen is 270 CoreLokts 130gr. They are advertised at 3060 and they just barely broke 2800 in my 700.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I'm not sure what some expect from the manuals.
the results they give are produced under carefully controlled conditions...something many can't do outside of a lab
they reported in their "manuals" what they found safe and the results of what they found under the test conditions with the equipment they used. I'm not sure any of them say you should expect the same results they got in your equipment under not so controlled conditions.

Reactions: rmp

furtaker

I'm not sure what some expect from the manuals.
the results they give are produced under carefully controlled conditions...something many can't do outside of a lab
they reported in their "manuals" what they found safe and the results of what they found under the test conditions with the equipment they used. I'm not sure any of them say you should expect the same results they got in your equipment under not so controlled conditions.
A chronograph is a good investment for anybody who enjoys reloading. Most people will be very surprised at what they see.

Reactions: rmp

RFWobbly

And many times, they are using a test barrel, not a real gun barrel.
Exactly. If this is what your hunting rifle looks like, then you can believe every velocity you read in the manuals....

88VVNEpl.jpg

dImXmnNl.jpg

Jester896

Senior Clown
I think Hornady tells you in the front of each section what they used was.
I do look at other data when loading but I don't try to use Sierra bullets with Hornady load data...sometimes it just works out to be close.

bighonkinjeep

As far as expectations, I tend to load for accuracy not really caring much where the velocity numbers fall.
Pretty much any centerfire rifle cartridge in what I consider a suitable bore diameter for the game I hunt Is going to put em down with one well placed shot be it at 2200fps or 3200fps. I start with listed start load and let my rifle tell me what it likes. High velocity is a good thing, just not my number one reason to pick a certain load. I've found the most accurate load tested in the Nosler manual and accuracy loads in the Sierra manual to be a very good place to start trying to find what I'm looking for more than once.

Darkhorse

I've also noticed in 7mm Rem.mag. and 300 Win. Mag. the Nosler numbers haven't changed in several years. Not really uptodate testing there.
However I like the Nosler load data and do most of my loading from it.

furtaker

I load for both accuracy and velocity in my hunting rifles. I don't hotrod any cartridge but I do try to chronograph a factory load or two of the same weight if I have it and match that velocity with my handloads. Or at least use it as a reference. If it's slow approaching max load I'll try another powder. Of course the accuracy has to be there too. That's just my practice. Others may be different.

To me, there's really no point in toting a 26in 7RM to the woods if you're getting 7-08 or 7x57 velocity from it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dub