Bow hunting with glasses... Problems

BonaireBuzz

Anyone besides me have issues wearing glasses and seeing your pins? I have progressive lens now and I'm having a heck of a time finding a happy middle ground. With my glasses on, the pins are blurry but I can see out away from me. Without my glasses, the pins are clear, but I lose the distance vision. Granted, my bow shots would be well within my range of decent vision without glasses, but the thought of taking glasses on and off does not appeal to me in the least. Getting older is not for the faint of heart.

Anyone else have this issue? If so, how have you dealt with it? Thanks!

Taco4x4

Contacts work for me. Sometimes I take the right one out so I can see up close with one eye and far with the other. If you have a spare pair of glasses maybe try taking the lens out of your peep site eye. You need to shoot with both eyes open for this to work.

IIICrkRepr

I changed over to contacts too. Between fogging them up on a muggy hot morning or a cold fall day, I hated glasses. After awhile, even the contacts were giving me issues, there seemed to be no happy balance between near & far sighted. I recently had my prescription changed to help with seeing far away only. I need reading glasses up close and the peep sight is nothing but a blur, but if I can see the entire sight ring and my pin is centered, my vision out past a few feet is 20/10.

Taco4x4

Me too. I carry reading glasses with me but for the peep site honestly I just push my right contact to the corner of my eye so I can see up close in that eye and shoot with both eyes open. Works for me.

Hillbilly stalker

There is a fix for that. I saw it on tv and tried it...it works for me. It’s called the equalizer. A small lens in your peep sight. They have different powers just like glasses. There are basically two types, one if you can’t see your pins or the other when you cannot see your target. T-bone was advertising then a couple years ago. Made my eyes about 10 years younger. There not perfect but its a huge improvement for me. I can’t hardly shoot sights without one. Any decent bow shop should have them. You buy the peep and the lenses can be changed to another stronger one later on if you need it.

Fishin & Hunting

One other problem I have with glasses is giving the deer the deer more of an ability to spot me because of the glare they give off.

bilgerat

Senior
There is a fix for that. I saw it on tv and tried it...it works for me. It’s called the equalizer. A small lens in your peep sight. They have different powers just like glasses. There are basically two types, one if you can’t see your pins or the other when you cannot see your target. T-bone was advertising then a couple years ago. Made my eyes about 10 years younger. There not perfect but its a huge improvement for me. I can’t hardly shoot sights without one. Any decent bow shop should have them. You buy the peep and the lenses can be changed to another stronger one later on if you need it.
I believe you are speaking of a peep lens Target Clarifier , I am thinking about trying one too, them pins getting a little fuzzy.

Last edited:

Hillbilly stalker

I believe you are speaking of a peep lens Target Clarifier , I am thinking about trying one too, them pins getting a little fuzzy.
Yep, that’s it. The clarifier is one, the verifier is the other. Same system, it works for me. But when it starts getting real low light..its tough.

TomC

The clarifier is one part of the puzzle that MIGHT help but also experiment with different sized peep sights (buy a peep kit that comes with different sized apertures) but the shape, size and quality of the progressive lenses also plays a BIG part or at least it did for me. I'm wearing progressive's full time after 35 years of wearing contacts . The shape and size of the lenses in your glasses matters. I've gone back and forth between some smaller frames / lenses and larger sized frames / lenses that also appear as if they have less curvature to the lens. The sweet spot in the smaller lenses is SMALL and if your head moves you go from clear to blurry with very little movement of my head. The larger frames have a much much LARGER sweetspot for lack of a better description and these are SOOO much better for daily wear and I have no issues shooting bows and my vision is BAD. I set up an indoor bow this spring to get back into serious shooting and for me it was a combination of using larger framed progressives and experimenting with peep size aperture. I've bought progressives from several places trying to find something that works and the best ones have been larger framed progressives from Costco. Even if you are not a member or have to drive a ways to one the membership fee plus the cost of the glasses with good lenses is still less than what a pair would cost at most other places. To be able to shoot well with progressive I also had to drastically change where I anchor the string from the tip of my nose to the side which required tweaking draw length.

Last edited:

strothershwacker

Having lasik surgery was the best $ I ever spent. Dr. Wolfson in the Sandy Springs area done mine. He's done bout 100k eyeballs. He likes venison too!?

Hillbilly stalker

Won't putting lenses in the peep fog up as well??
I haven’t had that problem. You don’t stay in the peep as long as you would think, full draw then settle in and release. It mite be different in real cold climates, but I used to bow hunt all season and never had it to happen.