Box turtle laying eggs

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
This one I put back in the woods as I do all live ones. Once the one you found dead dries out and the scales come off, it'll make a good caller. I detailed this past spring in the turkey section how I make mine. Killing a live one for its shell regardless of the illegality is bad mojo in my book. If the little one I found yesterday dodges trucks, woods fires, and stays out of gator holes, good chance he'll outlive all of us. Gil

wvdawg

Staff member
This one I put back in the woods as I do all live ones. Once the one you found dead dries out and the scales come off, it'll make a good caller. I detailed this past spring in the turkey section how I make mine. Killing a live one for its shell regardless of the illegality is bad mojo in my book. If the little one I found yesterday dodges trucks, woods fires, and stays out of gator holes, good chance he'll outlive all of us. Gil

Yep, they can survive and live a long time. We were heading to the beach last weekend for vacation and Jake spotted one crossing the road. Had to stop the truck and move him out of traffic before we could continue.

Your post prompted me to check out the shell basket in the garage. Looks like the little one is almost ready! I hadn't checked on it since winter time.