Braid dia.

hipster dufus

Gon rig my only spinning setup w braid. Use 8# mono now. Was gonna use braid of same or close to same dia. Looks like it will be 30# braid w a floro leader. Opinions?

AceOfTheBase

Go for it, all my spinning rigs have a bunch of 30# braid.

I also use mono leaders 6 - 10 ft, and a surgeons knot to couple them.
If you use a leader, learn an easy-to-tie knot that you can tie in the dark.
JimBo on Lanier taught me the surgeons, and its easy to add more turns if needed.

Only down side of braid for me is my line release finger gets sore after a long day of casting. Have used a band-bid to help, with mixed results. I tend to load up the rod and cast further than most, so it may not be an issue with others.

Last edited:

Headshot

Mel's fishing place line diameter chart may help with your choice. Has monofilament, flourocarbon and braid info.

doomtrpr_z71

All depends on which braid you want to use, Japanese and us braid diameters don't match up, the stated diameters on the box usually aren't even right. I prefer fireline ultra 8 for spinning gear since it's a little stiffer.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Curious the reasoning for wanting to stay the same diameter. I use braid on spinning reels so I can get a smaller diameter and increased capacity. I use 10-12 lb braid and add a 6-10 lb leader depending on application. The only time I use say 20-30 lb braid is some inshore setups where I'm fishing for redfish, etc.

hipster dufus

Capacity on my reels never been my issue. I use a mono backin, elec tape, then prolly 60-80 yds of line. Makes backlashes less troublesome. Juust sick of dealin w line twist on my one spinning reel.