Question about braided line

Darkhorse

Please answer a question for the ignorant

What’s the point of using braid if you’re gonna top it off with a mono leader?

Not everybody uses a mono or fluoro leader on their braid. If the water is a little stained I fish straight braid but I do color the last 4 or 5 feet with a black magic marker. I have fished with a leader in the past and have noticed no difference in the strikes I get so why bother?
If the water is clear many use fluoro leaders because it's harder for the fish to see than braid. That is a legitimate use if it gives the fisherman confidence.
In saltwater I tie a fluoro leader that's heavier than my main braid line as it will handle the sharp teeth and sharp oyster shells and barnacles better.
I fish Nanofil on a couple of rods, an ultralight w/6 lb. for bluegills, and a medium spinning reel with 8 or 10 pound for wacky and similar baits. I use no leader and so far the fish haven't minded a bit.

Richf7

There's no question braid casts like a dream. Reeling it in is a nightmare.

Sorry...couldn't resist.

;)

James12

Love me some braid. Straight to the hook on most setups and 10lb with an 6lb fluoro leader on the UL

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
How do you handle wind knots with braid?

Richf7

My problem wasn’t wind knots it was the leader and braid becoming entangled. Probably operator error, but I like keeping things simple.

ghadarits

I like braid on my spinning reels. I have some reels that the braid is 4 years old and it just gets better the more you use it in my opinion. I converted a hard core floro/mono guy last weekend. He couldn't believe how much more feel you have with braid. It made a big difference in him detecting bites and therefore catching more fish. Is braid necessary? No not really. Is it a better product than mono or floro in most cases and does it last longer than mono or floro? Absolutely it last me 25 times as long and I really like that a lot. I caught the below Flathead on a shaky head that I was using a 12lb floro leader and 15lb braid as my main line.

Attachments

• Big Flathead catfish Hartwell 2021.jpg
    Big Flathead catfish Hartwell 2021.jpg
    547.1 KB · Views: 12