Question about fishing with braided line.

JonathanG2013

I bought a new spinning reel a week ago from Cabelas. I bought a Daiwa BG 3000 and put 30 pound braid on it. I would mainly be fishing for bass and striper. Can I get away with just using braid, or should I use a leader also? I did find out that I do not get as good of action on finesse bait like a trick worm with just the braid. thought about maybe tying 12 fluro as a leader.

Lilly001

I almost always use a leader.
I carry everything from 6-50 lb.
It’s pretty easy to do, so why not?

ghadarits

I use braided line exclusively on spinning reels. I use 15lb braid with a leader appropriate to the fish I’m targeting. For bass or stripers I’ll use between 8-12lb mono or floro also depending on what I’m fishing with live bait or artificial. All of the below fish were caught with 10-15lb braid with a 8-40lb mono or floro leader. The junction knot posted above is gold so learn it and use it.

Attachments

• IMG_2218.png
    IMG_2218.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2216.png
    IMG_2216.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1740.png
    IMG_1740.png
    810.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1781.jpeg
    IMG_1781.jpeg
    307.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1795.jpeg
    IMG_1795.jpeg
    198.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2054.png
    IMG_2054.png
    286.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0544.jpeg
    IMG_0544.jpeg
    266.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3004.jpeg
    IMG_3004.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2213.png
    IMG_2213.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 14

JonathanG2013

I use braided line exclusively on spinning reels. I use 15lb braid with a leader appropriate to the fish I’m targeting. For bass or stripers I’ll use between 8-12lb mono or floro also depending on what I’m fishing with live bait or artificial. All of the below fish were caught with 10-15lb braid with a 8-40lb mono or floro leader. The junction knot posted above is gold so learn it and use it.
Thanks for the advise. I just learned the Alberto knot a few days ago. Been using it. From the pictures above. Looks like you had some great fishing trips.

JKat81

Top water, punching and frogging I’ll use straight braid. Not punching or frogging with a spinning rod though. I have three spinning rods on my deck right now and they are all set up with 10 pound braid to an 8 or 6 lb leader.

ghadarits

Thanks for the advise. I just learned the Alberto knot a few days ago. Been using it. From the pictures above. Looks like you had some great fishing trips.
I’ve been very fortunate to have had some really great fishing experiences but don’t be fooled that’s probably 10 years from oldest to most recent picture.

basshappy

BANNED
My boy and I fish straight braid on spinning for many species and waters. We also tie fluoro leader on for some species and waters. So it is water and specie dependent.

doomtrpr_z71

Alberto knot and fluro leader are the way, that way you get good abrasion resistance, I like a copoly shock leader when fishing top water plugs, the only thing I fish straight braid is frogs.

Jdmb123

How’s that Alberto compared to the uni to uni? Never tied the Alberto always use uni. I don’t break it on fish but its what will break first usually when the baits hung and I pull to break it off. One day I’ll learn the dang fg.

Last edited:

ASH556

About half of my main setups use braid: all Power Pro and all Seguar Red Label Fluoro. Baitcasters are 40lb braid with 20lb Fluoro for Texas rig and 40lb braid with 10lb Fluoro for wacky Senko. Spinning setups are 30lb braid with 20lb Fluoro on a size 4000 Nasci for saltwater jigs and freshwater shakeyheads, and 20lb braid with 8lb Fluoro on a size 2500 Nasci for drop shot.

To me the braid is all about the sensitivity. I use the FG knot for joining the leader to the braid.

Last edited:

Ihunt

Depends on abrasion resistance. Braid basically doesn’t have any.
If you need some, tie on a leader.

menhadenman

How’s that Alberto compared to the uni to uni? Never tied the Alberto always use uni. I don’t break it on fish but its what will break first usually when the baits hung and I pull to break it off. One day I’ll learn the dang fg.
Alberto is like a Chinese finger trap… you can trim the tag ends all the way down and it’ll still hold. Makes casting easier if your leader gets short.

menhadenman

Man those are some nice snooks!

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I think thirty pound braid is overkill on bass and stripers.
My bed ten to twenty pound would do just fine.
You will get great action on braid in general because there'snear zero water drag on the line.
My thirty pound braid rigs took the place of fifty to sixty # mono.