Braves 2019 Spring Training

DannyW

I guess I am being overly pessimistic but the amount of injuries coming out of the gate, especially on the pitching staff, concerns me with a 162 game schedule coming up.

BornToHuntAndFish

While Braves mgmt. was scrounging around for leftovers, looks like they found something they wanted to pick up. Hope he can help.

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/josh-tomlin-signs-with-braves

Braves add veteran Tomlin to pitching mix

Braves signed Josh Tomlin to a Minor League deal on Thursday.

Tomlin, 34, will start Saturday afternoon’s game against the Mets.

Tomlin, who was released by the Brewers on Wednesday.

Tomlin surrendered 25 home runs while posting a 6.14 ERA over just 70 1/3 innings for the Indians last year. He allowed 12 hits (three home runs) and eight earned runs over 15 innings for the Brewers this spring.

biggdogg

He probably starts one or two games in April and ends up in either the pen as long relief or AAA as emergency insurance. Look for an outfielder to get picked up on the cheap in the next week or so. Duvall won't get more than 10 more ab's as a Brave...

BornToHuntAndFish

Yep, as ST winds down now with less than a week before the season opener & teams are forced into cuts to get down to their roster minimum, reckon some cheaper deals may come available soon.

Nice having some AAA emergency insurance available if needed.

Thursday's game surprised us with Duvall being the only Braves player with 2-hits. He also may be having some impressive AB's during batting practice to keep him around this long.

Nice having Riley hitting HR in 1st inning for the only Braves run scored.

1st inning - Riley homered to right.

20-seconds

Looks like Kyle Wright experienced a dose of reality starting Thursday's game to get roughed up & being pulled before the 1st inning ends with only 2-outs (2-K's/SO's), giving up 6-runs, 4-hits which included 2-HR's (pair of 3-RUN HR's), & 2-BB/walks. Of course, he's been the biggest good surprise of ST before that game, and obviously any player can make mistakes & have a bad game sometimes.

TB Rays - Bottom 1st

WRIGHT PITCHING FOR ATL

Duffy struck out looking.

Pham walked.

Robertson singled to right, Pham to third.

B. Lowe homered to left, Pham scored and Robertson scored.

García singled to center.

Zunino struck out swinging.

Heredia walked, García to second.

N. Lowe homered to right, García scored and Heredia scored.

ROWEN PITCHING FOR ATL

Coats grounded out to shortstop.

25-seconds
Friday RED OUTS Are Happening
Atlanta Braves

Published on March 22, 2019

EVERY Friday Night at SunTrust Park we'll be rockin' the red jerseys, we need YOU in your red Braves gear too!

Last edited:

BornToHuntAndFish

Could today's Braves lineup be a test run for next Thursday's season opener against the Phillies???

15-seconds

19-seconds

62-seconds
Video quote about Teheran: Had the 2nd most walks in the NL last season with 84.

Last edited:

BornToHuntAndFish

I like the fact that the pitchers that look to make up the majority of the ML staff are pitching very well. Julio is looking pretty good and Fried, Wilson, Wright and Toussaint have all looked fantastic. Newcomb has looked shaky, but I believe (hope) that is more a product of him working on a second breaking pitch (slider I believe) and his change-up. His fastball and overhand curve have been pretty devastating. Hopefully Folty comes back strong and Gausman gets straightened out. Sooner rather than later. Gausman has looked BAD.

Nice that the Braves have options for flexibility until hopefully things smooth out by the end of the 1st month of the season.

Looks like Julio had a slow start as usual as expected in the 1st on Friday but gave up little after that thankfully, except for several hits that resulted in no runs.

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/aj-minter-on-mend-following-car-accident

Just one of the seven runs Teheran allowed over 17 innings this spring was tallied after the first inning. He produced a 6.97 ERA in the first inning last year and a 3.27 ERA over all other innings.

“I don’t believe there is anything to it,” Teheran said. “Obviously, you can see it, but the last game I didn’t give up any runs in the first inning. This just happened, and it’s happened to me in the first inning.”

4-seconds

23-seconds

24-seconds

Last edited:

BornToHuntAndFish

I guess I am being overly pessimistic but the amount of injuries coming out of the gate, especially on the pitching staff, concerns me with a 162 game schedule coming up.

I count myself in the overly pessimistic category about the Braves, but look forward to others on the forum to be optimistic.

80-seconds

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/aj-minter-on-mend-following-car-accident

The Braves have continued to monitor Craig Kimbrel’s market in the event the veteran closer eventually becomes willing to accept a one- or two-year deal. But even with Opening Day less than a week away, Kimbrel continues to make it clear he is only interested in a long-term deal. Thus, the two parties have not shared any serious discussions.

Last edited:

BornToHuntAndFish

He probably starts one or two games in April and ends up in either the pen as long relief or AAA as emergency insurance. Look for an outfielder to get picked up on the cheap in the next week or so. Duvall won't get more than 10 more ab's as a Brave...

AA weighs in on new acquisition Josh Tomlin below, similar to the Braves website news item about him like you were saying.

53-seconds

BornToHuntAndFish

BornToHuntAndFish

BornToHuntAndFish

Looks like Braves really stunk up the place in their last game at Disney before moving to their new ST West Florida Gulf ballpark tomorrow as Touki gives up 6-runs in the 5th & Winkler gives up 4-runs in the 6th.

Swanson gets a hit today to keep his consecutive game hitting streak alive while Acuna & Wilkins each get a HR for the only Braves runs while getting blown out by the Mets scoring 12-runs.

Nice having new acquisition Josh Tomlin doing OK starting today & not giving up much in 3-innings.

5th - Acuña Jr. homered to left.

9th - Wilkins homered to right.

29-seconds

26-seconds

13-seconds

21-seconds

BornToHuntAndFish

Braves grab up another leftover rejected by both Indians & Giants, as outfielder Matt Joyce joins Atlanta, his 3rd team this Spring, for the last 3 games of ST the next 3-days.

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/braves-add-matt-joyce-adam-duvall-choice

6:46 PM EDT

Saturday, when the Braves acquired Matt Joyce from the Giants for cash considerations.

Joyce does not necessarily stand as an obvious upgrade as he prepares to join his third organization since the start of Spring Training.

When Joyce was released by the Indians Wednesday, he signed a Minor League deal with the Giants, who then decided to go in another direction after just a few days. The 34-year-old outfielder will audition for a spot on the Braves' Opening Day roster over the next three days.

While there's a chance Joyce could earn a spot on Atlanta's Opening Day roster, he told the Braves he would be willing to begin the regular season with Triple-A Gwinnett.

Joyce tallied a career-high 25 homers and produced a .808 OPS for the A's in 2017. But he battled a lumbar strain as he homered just eight times while constructing a .675 OPS over just 83 games last year. He went 7-for-35 with no extra-base hits while playing for the Indians and Giants this spring.

EDIT UPDATE below . . .

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/kyle-wright-bryse-wilson-make-braves-roster

With Mike Foltynewicz and Kevin Gausman set to begin the season on the injured list, the Braves’ rotation to begin the season will be Teheran, Wilson, Wright, Sean Newcomb and Max Fried. Atlanta wanted to start three right-handers against the Phillies and save its two lefty starts for the Cubs, who will serve as Atlanta’s first home opponent.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D2ibtZcW0AAmMWh.jpg

D2ibtZcW0AAmMWh.jpg

Last edited:

BornToHuntAndFish

Braves 5-run 2nd-inning made the difference in getting the win, but unfortunately Venters giving up 3-runs & 5-hits in the 3rd-inning almost gave away the win.

More highlights in tonight's win include Swanson's solo HR & 2-RBI's, Albies' 2-hits & 1-RBI, Joyce gets 2-RBI's, Donaldson's wall hitting double to collect 1-RBI, & Freddie delivers 2-hits.

6th inning - Swanson homered to right (355 feet).

33-seconds

26-seconds

23-seconds

D2iqnR0X0AAK1Gd.jpg

D2irs-PWoAAUJ0e.jpg

D2iqe9LXgAIahw9.jpg

Last edited:

biggdogg

They looked good last night. Fried is really starting to shine as well. It is going to be difficult to weed out some of these young pitchers with so many having so much potential. May make for some interesting trades the next couple years.

BornToHuntAndFish

Pedro Florimon's walk-off Grand Slam for the come from behind win was a great way to close out ST to overcome Kyle Wright's 6th-inning giving up 3-runs & 3-hits to fall behind the Reds. Other highlights include Swanson's 2-hits which include his back-to-back 2-RBI HR while Kazmar also gets 2-hits.

34-seconds

41-seconds

44-seconds

D2nIhQ0XQAEWvpa.jpg