Bullet Opinions

I'm hoping to get the two new Henry rifles I own to the range next week. I'm pretty set on what I'll want to use in my 45-70, but still wondering what the best deer hunting or black bear(?) hunting load would be for the .45 Colt rifle. I'm looking at 265gr WFNGC, or 300gr Hard cast GC, or 300gr JFN. Velocities of about 1800 FPS from the 265s and very close to 1700 for the 300s.

Not sure if the JFN will open at these velocities, but pretty sure they will. (Bonded bullets made by Hawk) Looking for full penetration on any rifle cartridge or bullet I choose. Thanks in advance for any insight...0403191425a-1.jpg0318191336-1.jpg

Last edited:
What did you decide on that 45/70 ammo? I am going with Hornady Leverevolution in 325 FTX

Same, Same here. I killed a BIG Georgia Boar (300+/-) with a very thick, tough shield in 2018, using a BLR/.450 and LE ammo. The range was about 125 yards, and the bullet, through and through that big boar's shield.

There's no doubt I'd trust it on anything up to (not including) Grizzly.

leoparddog

I use the 265gr WFNGC in my .45 Colt M92. I tried the Speer 300gr bullet and the didn't care for that load when pushed to 1600fps. I can run the 265gr WFNGC up to 1725fps over my chrono and the recoil is pretty sharp as well.

Since i also have a 45 Colt Redhawk and want to have one load for both, I've dialed it back to something more reasonable. About 1000fps in the Ruger Redhawk does about 1350fps in the M92. I haven't kilt anything with it yet, but I have no concerns about the hole it will punch on the way through

I use the 265gr WFNGC in my .45 Colt M92. I tried the Speer 300gr bullet and the didn't care for that load when pushed to 1600fps. I can run the 265gr WFNGC up to 1725fps over my chrono and the recoil is pretty sharp as well.

Since i also have a 45 Colt Redhawk and want to have one load for both, I've dialed it back to something more reasonable. About 1000fps in the Ruger Redhawk does about 1350fps in the M92. I haven't kilt anything with it yet, but I have no concerns about the hole it will punch on the way through

Thanks, that's just what I was looking for. That Wide Flat Nose on the 265s is pretty impressive, noticeably wider than that on the 300gr GC loads I also have.

leoparddog

The 265gr WFNGC 1725fps load in the Colt was an H110 load, but Lil'Gun will do about the same. I don't think that was a maximum load but probably close. My M92 has a 20" barrel and metal buttplate and is a very light rifle. If your Henry has a pad that should help.

Reactions: Dub
The 265gr WFNGC 1725fps load in the Colt was an H110 load, but Lil'Gun will do about the same. I don't think that was a maximum load but probably close. My M92 has a 20" barrel and metal buttplate and is a very light rifle. If your Henry has a pad that should help.

Thanks! Because of the VERY dark ebony stain on the stocks it's hard to see in that pic, but there is a pretty decent pad on the buttstock.

Last edited:

deast1988

325 jelly tips in the .45/70

I’d go with a xtp or gold dot in the colt

325 jelly tips in the .45/70

I’d go with a xtp or gold dot in the colt

I plan on using the FTX 325/Hornady in the 45-70, it's proved it's worth to me in both .444 (black bear, hog and bucks) and .450.

XTP will be high on my "want to use" list, but I've not seen a load using Gold Dots. I have used Gold Dots (270gr) in a .44 mag on game and think them a fine bullet.

Reactions: Dub