Cataloochee NC elk

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
One of these days, one Of them bulls is gonna act crazy and it will be a bad day. I say we all meet up at hillbillies place and take out a few.
They've already about killed a couple idjit tourons.

lampern

Elk hunting is discussed in the recording of the NC wildlife game meeting

Looks like there is not going to be any according to the recording

transfixer

Last time I was up there was about 7yrs ago, saw a few then in the valley, but it appears they have quadrupled or more in numbers since then, with the way they're roaming in amongst the people and in town, I don't see a "hunt" being much more than shooting fish in a barrel, or trout fishing in a pay pond ! No way I'm paying money for shooting an elk that is that used to seeing people ! that would be "killing", not hunting !

I mean I've eaten elk steak, and elk medallions (tenderloin) and its absolutely delicious ! but I don't want it that way

basshappy

BANNED
Last time I was up there was about 7yrs ago, saw a few then in the valley, but it appears they have quadrupled or more in numbers since then, with the way they're roaming in amongst the people and in town, I don't see a "hunt" being much more than shooting fish in a barrel, or trout fishing in a pay pond ! No way I'm paying money for shooting an elk that is that used to seeing people ! that would be "killing", not hunting !

I mean I've eaten elk steak, and elk medallions (tenderloin) and its absolutely delicious ! but I don't want it that way

It would be like shooting deer at a bait pile / feeder!

The property my girl was at for a long weekend had elk all over it. She shot video I'll see if I can upload some.

transfixer

It would be like shooting deer at a bait pile / feeder!

The property my girl was at for a long weekend had elk all over it. She shot video I'll see if I can upload some.

Deer at a feeder will run if they see you , these elk don't run from people, or cars either, try driving a car up to a feeder/bait pile with deer around it and see if they hang around ,,

Robust Redhorse

My theory is that Eastern Elk were not as large as Rocky Mountain Elk, because of the lack of food in old growth forest.

I've read that the last one was killed in Pennsylvania in 1877.

Does anyone have insight on the Eastern Elk?

(and Rocky Mountain Elk have been the best N.A. game mammal that I have ever eaten, but I haven't eaten moose or caribou)

Robust Redhorse

Just MO, but I'm not crazy about the idea of hunting animals that have been transported from where they are supposed to be.

I would hunt them, but I don't think that I would pay big money to hunt African game in Texas, Asian deer anywhere in America, or fish for world record trout in the southern hemisphere.

(Just my opinion)

If someone wants to foot the bill, perhaps I could be persuaded...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My theory is that Eastern Elk were not as large as Rocky Mountain Elk, because of the lack of food in old growth forest.

I've read that the last one was killed in Pennsylvania in 1877.

Does anyone have insight on the Eastern Elk?

(and Rocky Mountain Elk have been the best N.A. game mammal that I have ever eaten, but I haven't eaten moose or caribou)
More food here than out west. And the idea of the southeast as an unbroken virgin old-growth forest is an extremely incorrect myth. All the written accounts of the first European explorers to our region describe it as much more open than it is now. You could ride horses about anywhere, lots of savannah-type land. The Indians burned the crap out of the land for hundreds or thousands of years to manage it for game and farming.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

All the elk here aren't like that. They originally sourced them from different areas, one of which was elk that were used to people. Those are the ones that hang around Maggie, Cherokee, and the fields in Cataloochee. The ones living back in the mountains are wild as deer. The town and roadside elk came from a different place. And you can't hunt in town or the national park. Any hunting would be for the wild ones that act like deer. It probably wouldn't take long for them to get the picture, either.
I see plenty of extremely tame deer and turkeys and bears hanging around town here too, that have no fear of people. That doesn't mean they are all like that, by a long shot.

transfixer

All the elk here aren't like that. They originally sourced them from different areas, one of which was elk that were used to people. Those are the ones that hang around Maggie, Cherokee, and the fields in Cataloochee. The ones living back in the mountains are wild as deer. The town and roadside elk came from a different place. And you can't hunt in town or the national park. Any hunting would be for the wild ones that act like deer. It probably wouldn't take long for them to get the picture, either.
I see plenty of extremely tame deer and turkeys and bears hanging around town here too, that have no fear of people. That doesn't mean they are all like that, by a long shot.

That is good to know , it wouldn't be hunting if it included those around that valley

sprewett

Been awhile but decided to make the trip to the Cataloochee Valley and see if I could see any elk. Saw a few including a big 6 x6 male

View attachment 1256526

Have a video of the bull but not sure how to upload it.

I guess I saw around 18 total
That one must have escape outta someone's backyard. It has a collar did you see if it had a name and number to call to return to rightful owner. :rofl:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That is good to know , it wouldn't be hunting if it included those around that valley
Not much different from the ones out west that pile into Jackson hole and other towns every winter.

NCMTNHunter

Like hillbilly said the forest we have now are not natural or at least not historical. What we have now is the result of people not allowing any kind of major disturbance. We put out fires instead of allowing them reset large sections of woods. The eastern elk and Eastern bison didn’t survive off of laurel leaves.

Also the elk that were introduced here are not Rocky Mountain elk like most think. They are Manitoban elk which is genetically the closest to the old eastern elk.

Last edited:

transfixer

Not much different from the ones out west that pile into Jackson hole and other towns every winter.

I've been to Jackson Hole quite a few times, you pass a big field when you leave the airport headed into town where they feed the Elk during the winter, part of the preserve, I've never been out there except in winter, there are hundreds of them out there in that field, and a lot of HUGE bull elk !

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
On the meeting video the elk are said to be almost all on private property
On the actual earth, the majority of them spend most of their time in the national park. They do venture onto private property and game lands, and I see them outside the park now and then, but by far the vast majority are in the park most of the time.