Church Switchers

georgia_home

as a cautious, suspicious, wary ex Catholics Christian, who went to one of THOSE catholic schools and Churches, and had friends chased around the school and church, i watch some and pray some now. Understand how man corrupts religion.

i guess churches want to pick how they worship faithfully. If the real message is there, great! That’s how it should be. how do they deliver.

sit in nice pews, hold the prayer book and hymnal.
stand, sing, maybe hands in the air. Rock n roll church
old school hymns.
far and brimstone
small group preaching to complement the main service.
outreach
recruiting

is far and brimstone in a pew more right or wrong then standing and singing the same message in a hymn? Or with a rock and roll sound?

i dont know, but moving churches doesn’t make you A malcontent. Just you change. from youth ministry to adult contemporary to old school presentation of the exact same message.

presenting, marketing! Your church as here is who we are, what we do and how we do. makes sense

and corruption of the church is always something to consider. Lord knows we’ve seen enough examples over time

indulgences, gay priests, ignoring all 10 commandments, amendments, all at one time!

BeerThirty

All the business model talk about an individual church does it also follow that the individual church is as in business competition, so in church competition with other individual churches? Or are they each targeting a need that an other church cannot meet?

I've never been part of a conversation about starting a church. However, it seems logical to assume that a proposed church would go through the exact same kind of analysis as a business to determine needs. And, of course churches are in competition with each other, especially in bigger cities where you may have multiple churches of the same denomination.

The church I attend is now a very large church and they've "planted" two other churches in neighboring communities. The goal is to branch out and bring people to Christ who might be too far away geographically to attend the main campus. This strategy allows the planted churches to have the nearby support from the leadership and membership, kind of like franchising.

Also, the church I attend started out from literally nothing. As it is told, the lead pastor moved back to GA after seminary and started a small bible study in his home. As they grew, they rented space and began the transition from a bible study to an actual church service. Eventually, they were able to buy property and build their own complex. If I had to guess, it is all part of our lead pastor's post-seminary plan to start and lead his own church. I suspect many churches started out similarly?

gordon 2

as a cautious, suspicious, wary ex Catholics Christian, who went to one of THOSE catholic schools and Churches, and had friends chased around the school and church, i watch some and pray some now. Understand how man corrupts religion.

i guess churches want to pick how they worship faithfully. If the real message is there, great! That’s how it should be. how do they deliver.

sit in nice pews, hold the prayer book and hymnal.
stand, sing, maybe hands in the air. Rock n roll church
old school hymns.
far and brimstone
small group preaching to complement the main service.
outreach
recruiting

is far and brimstone in a pew more right or wrong then standing and singing the same message in a hymn? Or with a rock and roll sound?

i dont know, but moving churches doesn’t make you A malcontent. Just you change. from youth ministry to adult contemporary to old school presentation of the exact same message.

presenting, marketing! Your church as here is who we are, what we do and how we do. makes sense

and corruption of the church is always something to consider. Lord knows we’ve seen enough examples over time

indulgences, gay priests, ignoring all 10 commandments, amendments, all at one time!
I think your view is more exact than perhaps any other. I think that your description is why some completely give up on the church ( all churches) and as well reason for those who church switch. It would explain the behaviors of many even that have not given up on God, but on "church" yes.

There are things outside of natural bonds that are spiritually upsetting when we find them and uncover them and when we admit them to be sinful. This is how we operate. Yet in a business model a multinational auto and arms maker is not quit because the executives do business travel with their mistresses nor do we sell all our stocks ( equity and employ) in the entity employing these powerful men and women. Why would it be different for the church? Do we decide that it must not be the "real" church if such things which are upsetting happen to it?

PS. Thanks for your input on the subject of this tread.

Last edited:

gordon 2

I've never been part of a conversation about starting a church. However, it seems logical to assume that a proposed church would go through the exact same kind of analysis as a business to determine needs. And, of course churches are in competition with each other, especially in bigger cities where you may have multiple churches of the same denomination.

The church I attend is now a very large church and they've "planted" two other churches in neighboring communities. The goal is to branch out and bring people to Christ who might be too far away geographically to attend the main campus. This strategy allows the planted churches to have the nearby support from the leadership and membership, kind of like franchising.

Also, the church I attend started out from literally nothing. As it is told, the lead pastor moved back to GA after seminary and started a small bible study in his home. As they grew, they rented space and began the transition from a bible study to an actual church service. Eventually, they were able to buy property and build their own complex. If I had to guess, it is all part of our lead pastor's post-seminary plan to start and lead his own church. I suspect many churches started out similarly?
This is very interesting on the origin of a present day church, from bible study to church franchise. At what point do you think the bible study stopped being a bible study only and became a church? Do you know? Did the bible study get to be a church when it obtained affiliation, for example?

Last edited: