Cold Feet

humblehunter22

Best advice would be this idk about you but I have the issue of if im not just hoping out of the vehicle and climbing the tree within eye sight of the truck or perching up next to it. If I have to walk any sort of distance my feet will sweat even using baby powder or gold bond they will still manage to do so and once I reach wherever it is I am hunting once I settle in for the hunt once my body's had time to cool down from the exercise of the walk in. Your bodies perspiration all it is going to do is cause you to freeze because it will work against you in lowering your body temperature. Thats why often times its wise to pack a spare change of clothes and change out once you reach your spot. Which for me means a fresh change of socks and powder. Ill change out and reapply powder and be just fine hunting in my sneakers if I feel like it no need for 500 plus dollar thermal insulated boots or battery powered heated socks etc.... granted I mean for basic hunting in this state not operating in sub zero temps of several feet of snow.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Best advice would be this idk about you but I have the issue of if im not just hoping out of the vehicle and climbing the tree within eye sight of the truck or perching up next to it. If I have to walk any sort of distance my feet will sweat even using baby powder or gold bond they will still manage to do so and once I reach wherever it is I am hunting once I settle in for the hunt once my body's had time to cool down from the exercise of the walk in. Your bodies perspiration all it is going to do is cause you to freeze because it will work against you in lowering your body temperature. Thats why often times its wise to pack a spare change of clothes and change out once you reach your spot. Which for me means a fresh change of socks and powder. Ill change out and reapply powder and be just fine hunting in my sneakers if I feel like it no need for 500 plus dollar thermal insulated boots or battery powered heated socks etc.... granted I mean for basic hunting in this state not operating in sub zero temps of several feet of snow.
You all need to try the foam pads, keeps the ground on metal leaching heat out, but this is sound advice

Kev

Wear normal socks and boots with not too much insulation. Put some crushed cayenne pepper in your socks when you get to your parking spot.

Hickory Nut

I was having the same problem with my feet and tried most everything. So last season I concentrated on keeping my legs warmer. I got a quality merino wool base layer and it made a big difference.

Gaswamp

I need to find a way to prevent my feet from getting so cold during the colder parts of deer season. Mostly morning hunts. I've took precautions against sweating, I used merino wool liner with merino wool socks last year and feet still froze. Insulated boots don't work for me. I researched a heater body suit but that seems like an awful lot of trouble to tote around. Has anyone used boot blankets? I want something I can throw on as soon as I get to the stand and stay warm. I could hunt a lot longer if I could keep my feet warm.
what kind of boots are you wearing. Also you need to wear at least one size larger to allow for circulation

reflexman

Snake Dodger
My wife wraps a cheap poly fleece blanket around her feet said it works great. Im talking the little ones keeps it at bottom of pack for cold sits.

flatsmaster

I don’t have great circulation and my muck boots arctic with thin liner and merino wool sock and a hot hands on real cold morning’s let me survive in the teens hunting the rut in Illinois … also I will stand up and flex ankles and move toes to try to keep blood moving … there’s about nothing worse then cold feet

cowhornedspike

I can almost guarantee you that your boots are too tight. Need to be 2 sizes too large and then wear quality wool socks and they STILL need to be a little loose. Made ALL the difference with me and I always had cold feet even in moderate cold temps. Now on the worst days in the midwest I may have to add a toe warmer but never get as cold as I used to before I went to larger boots.
If they fit right they are too tight!

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Rubber boots are badddd for cold feet. Especially if the person has a problem with cold feet. They hold moisture and don't breath. So my 1st suggestion is that if you are wearing rubber boots, stop or at least get a size or 2 bigger for winter hunts.

Others have said it, but you have to have good circulation. Do that with larger boots, dont tuck your pants legs in because it cuts circulation and dont wear too many pairs or too thick of socks. If you wear lace ups, dont pull em too tight.

Wear a single, quality pair of wool socks and a quality insulated pair of boots. Then if your feet start getting cold change socks and allow your feet to air out and dry a minute if you can. It's a pain sometimes, but is a lifesaver for cold feet. During the most brutal of days I usually change mine sometime around mid morning or midday and then I am good for the rest of the day.

Also if you are hunting multiple days in a row a boot dryer is a very good investment. It will pull all the moisture every night and start over fresh again. ESPECIALLY with rubber boots. Try pulling the insole after a long day and see how damp it is.

Finally dont forget hot coffee (or any hot drink) and food. Gotta fuel the body.

Makes for good photo opps too :rofl: Hope you get it figured out man. Nothing worse than cold feet!

20141030_151223.jpg20181107_112408.jpg20191116_125244.jpgfeetsies.jpgIMG_0049.JPGIMG_20141218_153240.jpg

Stonewall 2

I can actually get away with the toe warmers
That’s actually all I ever used till last year when my wife bought some of these to use at my sons football games.

I also put antiperspirant on my feet because my feet sweat so bad.

frankwright

Hot Hands or one of those companies make a full insole chemical foot heater.
I have used them for fishing and hunting and they work well.
I went fishing when it was at freezing in tennis shoes with the heaters.
I have bought them at Walmart,Academy and Amazon.
I also have a Little Buddy heater I use when hunting in a blind, probably work on a big ladder stand too!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Dont wear tight boots circulation plays a huge part in keeping feet warm.

This. ^ If you're wearing lace up boots don't lace them so tight. Also check the seat you are sitting on. If there is too much pressure on your hamstrings you're cutting off blood flow to your feet.

TurkeyKiller12

Thanks everyone for the tips. I can definitely say tight boots have been an issue. I am going to look into a bigger pair for the coming season. My cold feet have probably saved a deer or two because I was walking back to the truck.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree