Cold Feet

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Side note derail:

If I were to go 2 sizes over on boots that would require size 16. It’s hard enough to find the size 14 extra wide.
Yep I have been called Bigfoot a time or two.

Gap53

I need to find a way to prevent my feet from getting so cold during the colder parts of deer season. Mostly morning hunts. I've took precautions against sweating, I used merino wool liner with merino wool socks last year and feet still froze. Insulated boots don't work for me. I researched a heater body suit but that seems like an awful lot of trouble to tote around. Has anyone used boot blankets? I want something I can throw on as soon as I get to the stand and stay warm. I could hunt a lot longer if I could keep my feet warm.
Hot hands works best for me. Put 1 each in front of boots

Gbr5pb

Put a pair of foot warmers inside my boots Outside of socks a couple of years ago! Had to get boots off and get them out after about a hour still got scars on my ankles! Don’t know if defective or what

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Yep I have been called Bigfoot a time or two.

See? They really are real. Some of them clean up pretty good and walk amongst us and we never know they are there.

jrickman

I stopped having an issue with cold feet when I just gave up and started wearing my regular old boots. I figured, if they are going to be cold they can at least be comfortable. I do stand up at least once an hour for a few minutes, and have mostly switched from stand hunting to blinds as I've started to feel the effects of age. Now I wear thick merino wool socks with regular old 6 inch lace up leather boots (Thursday Presidents my wife got me a few years ago, resoled with Vibram Trentos) that look like they'd be just as at home under a pair of suit pants as duck overalls. I felt like an idiot having tried all sorts of combos and contraptions. I can see my grandfather just shaking his head and grinning.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I have always had poor circulation and my feet and hands suffer in the cold. When I get on stand I untie and partially unlace my boots. This works for mildly cold weather. When it is really cold I take boot blankets. I put a hand warmer in each before I leave camp. When I get on sand I remove my boots completely and put my feet into the boot blankets. That works like a charm for me.

nix03

I have always had poor circulation and my feet and hands suffer in the cold. When I get on stand I untie and partially unlace my boots. This works for mildly cold weather. When it is really cold I take boot blankets. I put a hand warmer in each before I leave camp. When I get on sand I remove my boots completely and put my feet into the boot blankets. That works like a charm for me.
I do the same if it's real cold!

grif

Been there. Done that. Arctic Shield boot warmers. Don’t know what they’re made of but they work. Decent (not expensive) pair of shoes one size too big, any old socks that aren’t cotton, and the boot warmers. Throw a small handwarmer in there when it’s really cold.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
It stinks when you are comfy cept your feet are freezing! I did get wool socks last year and a set of merino base layers. For colder weather I have thinsulated boots and they are usually good enough with the new socks. I ALWAYS open a big(18hr) hot hands and have it in my hoodie pouch. My hands are usually good sharing one of those.

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
Best advice would be this idk about you but I have the issue of if im not just hoping out of the vehicle and climbing the tree within eye sight of the truck or perching up next to it. If I have to walk any sort of distance my feet will sweat even using baby powder or gold bond they will still manage to do so and once I reach wherever it is I am hunting once I settle in for the hunt once my body's had time to cool down from the exercise of the walk in. Your bodies perspiration all it is going to do is cause you to freeze because it will work against you in lowering your body temperature. Thats why often times its wise to pack a spare change of clothes and change out once you reach your spot. Which for me means a fresh change of socks and powder. Ill change out and reapply powder and be just fine hunting in my sneakers if I feel like it no need for 500 plus dollar thermal insulated boots or battery powered heated socks etc.... granted I mean for basic hunting in this state not operating in sub zero temps of several feet of snow.

I always carry my insulated bibs and jacket to the stand. If using a climber I usually wear an orange t shirt and carry the bulk of my clothing in. Dress in the stand once I am settled in.

If climbing a ladder I dress at the bottom of the tree.

humblehunter22

I always carry my insulated bibs and jacket to the stand. If using a climber I usually wear an orange t shirt and carry the bulk of my clothing in. Dress in the stand once I am settled in.

If climbing a ladder I dress at the bottom of the tree.

Yes sir, i cannot say how many times this method has saved my rear end especially hunting public land. I like to hike deep in wherever I can and usually after the first 200 yards or so thats when I start to pouring sweat even in it being 20 degrees out my body is like a natural heater. So once I reach my destination I'll just strip down place my worn clothes in a trash bag synch it down tie it up and put it in my pack and wipe down with a towel I carry and change over then Im right as rain for however long I choose to hunt for the day. I know folks tend to think oh Lorttt what about the deers smelling ya stanky clothes or this or that but I learned that if you dont hunt the "wind" in the 1st place it dont matter if you smell like a fricken aspen or pine tree head to toe this or that the deer will always find a way to pick ya out because you're a guest in their home and they know all the goings on in their house. So I say play the wind and focus less on the scent killers or paranoia about being scent free and focus more on comfortability for the hunt.

j_seph

A little pricey but I have a pair of Lenz heated socks for my Kansas trips later in the season. They have a Bluetooth feature that allows you to keep them off while walking in then turn on when get set. They have settings from 1-9, so can control the level of heat. Batteries last a long time, never had them run out during a hunt. All done with your phone. They were designed for snowmobiles but work great for hunting. I put them on with a thin wool sock over the top. May work for you. Good luck. Will post a link if I can find them.
What happens if someone close by hacks into your sock bluetooth and says
4vP-6nq4A7XrXmc5cDSN9feqjIUO3y_J84efWX134MvF2mvHhFKurhdSPGQZdIhQQ4DC

tdw3684

I've used a small camera sleeping bag for decades. Works great for 10 to 45 degrees windy or not. My mom sewed a carry strap on it and some black elastic to keep it rolled up fior toting..