Comparing 1911s

rosewood

I am waiting on a RIA frame to come in I ordered from SARCO for $119. I had 2 complete slides given to me with nothing to put them on. One is a Colt and the other is a Remington Rand. Both with NM barrels and bushings. Ordered the frame parts kit from SARCO also and it came in yesterday. I can't wait for the frame to get here so I can put this thing together and see how it shoots.

Hard to find a frame locally and at the price of $119, can't beat that.

Rosewood

rosewood

I sure enjoy my full size Springfield.

Am I reading correctly...you found the best price at a LGS but ordered it on line?
Maybe he meant lowest transfer fee??

snuffy

When you request a quote from GOG. They send you price quotes from a number of dealers in your area. You pick who you want it delivered to. Pay GOG a fee mine was like $231.00

snuffy

And pay the balance when you pick the gun up.

snuffy

This is what they sent. I like it so far.

Sale Price: $731.00
Add'l Fees: $14.99
Tax: $51.17
Sub Total: $797.16
(Less Deposit:) $231.00
Balance due Retailer: $566.16

pdsniper

Well I have a STI 2011 PERFECT 10 and I dearly love it's really well made and stupid accurate and never a problem with it and STI are great people to deal with from my experience, I also have a RIA 22 TCM and its not a bad gun for what I paid for it but the 9mm barrel that came with it as well totally would not feed I worked on it for hours and finally got it working flawlessly but it should have came that way If I was not an armorer for my Dept I probably would not have been able to figure out the problem it was just that jacked up

Reactions: Dub

rosewood

Buddy ordered the RIA 22TCM9R barrel for a Glock 17. Had cases get stuck with factory RIA ammo. Betting a chamber polish would fix it or there was an issue with the ammo being too hot one, but my buddy is going to send back to RIA and let them fix it since he just got it.

Rosewood

snuffy

Grove Pawn gets the $566.16

Ordered it yesterday and supposed to get it tomorrow.
Went to the gun show last weekend looking for one and nobody there had it.

snuffy

Very dissapointed. Picked up the gun Friday. Shot it about 100 times and had 4 or five failure to extract. Heard it might be an extractor tension problem.
Got home and disassemble instructions are NOTHING like in the manual. Never did get the guide spring or barrel out.
Now cant get it put back together.
PS. I am not familiar with 1911's

sbroadwell

I've had pretty good results from a Remington R1. I know, Remington is having all kinds of problems, but I heard the R1 was ok. So far, about 150 rounds, only one feed issue and I think that may have been limp wristing.

Robert28

Yeah 1911’s aren’t even beginning to be broken in until 200 rounds, so what you’re experiencing is normal for the first 100 rounds. Try different ammo next shooting session and see how it does. I only shoot 230 ground FMJ Winchester white box throw mine. Not that it won’t feed hollow points but I do prefer ball ammo at full power in my 1911, I’m old school. I have a 9mm I can shoot hollow points out of, I like a big fat 850-900 FPS moving slug coming out of my 1911!

Reactions: Dub

snuffy

Got the thing apart and adjusted the extractor some, but still doesn't hold the shell in place.
now having a problem getting the slide stop back in. I can get the pin in but can't get it to snap in place.

snuffy

Finally got the aggravating thing put back together.
Went outside and fired a few rounds and everything went well. Will shoot it more this weekend.
Any advice to make assembly easier next time will be appreciated.

Robert28

Finally got the aggravating thing put back together.
Went outside and fired a few rounds and everything went well. Will shoot it more this weekend.
Any advice to make assembly easier next time will be appreciated.
Practice is the only thing that’ll make it easier. 1911’s are notorious for being tough to get the hang of taking them down and re-assembling them.

Jester896

Senior Clown
what is the guide rod like? Is it a 2 piece type like the full size? I have to unscrew mine with an Allen wrench or it won't even push in far enough to turn the barrel bushing. I like to relieve the tension of the recoil spring before I take it apart.

snuffy

what is the guide rod like? Is it a 2 piece type like the full size? I have to unscrew mine with an Allen wrench or it won't even push in far enough to turn the barrel bushing. I like to relieve the tension of the recoil spring before I take it apart.

It is one piece. It came with a bent rod to stick in the hole in the rod. Only mine was boogered up on the end, so I had to bend a paper clip.

Don't think I will have a problem with anything now but re installing the slide stop. It is a booger.

rosewood

It is one piece. It came with a bent rod to stick in the hole in the rod. Only mine was boogered up on the end, so I had to bend a paper clip.

Don't think I will have a problem with anything now but re installing the slide stop. It is a booger.

You just have to have the link in the right place, and if the plunger is hanging up, you can use a small screw driver to push down the plunger to make it easier. Just be careful, most folks end up leaving an "idiot" scratch on the frame installing the slide stop.

I got mine up and running well after about 3 trips to the range. Of course, I took a bare frame and had to fit frame parts and slide to it. Have taken it apart probably 10 times in the last few days, polishing and tweeking. It gets easy the more you do it and the parts start to slide together easier after you start knocking off the rough spots by disassembling and reassembling.

I now have a RIA/Colt. Rock Island frame, Colt NM slide and barrel. Have nice wood Colt grips that were give to me with the slide. Wouldn't feed hollow points to start with, but after doing some polishing on the throat, they slide in like butter. So far, I only have about $260 in it, if you don't count my labor.

Rosewood

Attachments

• 125201965726.jpg
    125201965726.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

snuffy

Ordered a Wilson Combat extractor. Heard they were one of the best.

Read about the shake test and even after bending the extractor the shell still falls out easily.