1911 holsters

chase870

Possum Sox
My carry gun when I work is a 1911. The story with it is, I bought it sometime in 2000 from my gun dealer when he was just getting started, probably one of the first 100 or so guns he sold. It was stolen out of my truck on a job site in Dalton ga in 2001 when I was building a Family Dollar store. A couple of years later the ATF called the gun dealer and wanted to know who he sold the gun to, it had been used in a crime in NYC and recovered, and they figured it was a straw purchase. Low and behold I had a police report etc. and after many months of dealing with a bunch of gun hating liberal Yankee police officers, I got my gun back. The fine folks in NYC engraved the case number in the slide, and the gang bangers had modified it with a sheet metal screw and a rubber band in place if the take down pin, this allows it to be carried inside the waist band without a holster. I had it put back in proper working order, take down pin replaced, and the case number buffed out of the slide. I kinda wish I had left the case number on the slide. Its not a pretty 1911, but it has a special place with me, and it will go bang every time, clean, dirty. rusty, frozen, wet, dry, or any condition it's in. Cocked and locked, ready to rock is the only way I carry it.

Dub

Why not an M3 shoulder holster?

(ducks)

Sometimes shoulder holsters are a solution for some.

I know a guy who uses a wheelchair to get around. Belt holsters simply don’t work for him.

He can transition from driving his car to his wheelchair without having to move a gun around.

Good to know he is carrying at all times. (y)

I’ve personally never given one a fair try. Feel odd knowing I‘d be fanning my offside arm on each draw, as well as pointing it at whoever is behind me when drawing (Horizontal rig ).

Jester896

Senior Clown
when I first started carrying I used a Bianchi Scorpion...pretty comfortable rig with other cover and it doubled as a thumb break OWB when off the harness. Don't know that I would today unless it was a wood thang

Reactions: Dub

lampern

Sometimes shoulder holsters are a solution for some.

I know a guy who uses a wheelchair to get around. Belt holsters simply don’t work for him.

He can transition from driving his car to his wheelchair without having to move a gun around.

Good to know he is carrying at all times. (y)

I’ve personally never given one a fair try. Feel odd knowing I‘d be fanning my offside arm on each draw, as well as pointing it at whoever is behind me when drawing (Horizontal rig ).

Oh he could try a 1916 flap holster as well.

I mean looking 'retro' has its appeal even if your pistol is slow to draw in self defense and costs your life.

• Haha

Lilly001

Oh he could try a 1916 flap holster as well.

I mean looking 'retro' has its appeal even if your pistol is slow to draw in self defense and costs your life.
I’ve considered this but it’s not really concealable.

Lilly001

Also I would like the security of the flap holster.
In my 32+ years as a Deputy I never was real concerned about weapon security reducing my draw time.
(Within reason)
I wrestled with perps who tugged at my gun much more often than I had to draw quickly.
And I did practice a lot so my draw from a level 3 security holster was still pretty quick.

menhadenman

Well I skipped work today to haul some gravel… and @Dub got me thinking about 1911s so I grabbed one of my Custom IIs and ran two boxes of S&B through it. They shoot so nice and those steel plates were thumping.

Also turns out I forgot that I gifted my paddle holster to my brother… so need to go through this thread again and figure out which one I need to buy.

E73DD629-DACB-47F7-8DAE-5121D02F3939.jpeg

Last edited:

Dub

Well I skipped work today to haul some gravel… and @Dub got me thinking about 911s so I grabbed one of my Custom IIs and ran two boxes of S&B through it. They shoot so nice and those steel plates were thumping.

Also turns out I forgot that I gifted my paddle holster to my brother… so need to go through this thread again and figure out which one I need to buy.

View attachment 1227947

Well done.

Running that .45 on steel probably had you grinning bigly.

(y) (y) (y) (y)

On the occasion that OWB is the method of carry....I've found the 55BN model to work nicely.

The rear loop helps to pull the grip in closer so it improves concealment under a cover shirt or jacket.

IMG_6858.jpegIMG_6857.jpegIMG_6703.jpeg

menhadenman

Hey dub, reading through this it sounds like the summer special is the ticket? I’m 6-2” and 200 lbs, often carry 4 o clock IWB with my Glock 43. Have also carried OWB with a FN 9 and GP100.

In the woods I use an Gunfighter Inc chest holster (either my GP100 or Glock 19, both loaded with buffalo bore).

Strange as it sounds I just shoot the 1911 a lot better than most of my other pistols. I think your point on weight and size with a crisp trigger is why.

pacecars

I good quality boned holster on a good quality gun belt is very secure

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
I have 2 for commander length 1911 that I got from Smokewagon leathers. He used to post here a lot but not so much any more,
10430.jpeg

This was the first of this design he built. Carries nice and tight!!!

Then I had him build me an OWB and it's just as nice.
KIMG0475-585x1040.JPG

Dub

Strange as it sounds I just shoot the 1911 a lot better than most of my other pistols. I think your point on weight and size with a crisp trigger is why.

Getting your hand up as high as you can sure helps in every aspect, too….fast target acquisition, recoil control, comfort , etc.

Never understood why some ruin all that by using finger-groove grips on a 1911.

menhadenman

Well @Dub you are almost as bad as @Jester896 making me buy stuff ::ke: :rofl:

Drinking coffee after a slow morning and pulled the trigger. Looks like they have a monster backlog so lucky to see a 5” model in stock.

Any recommendations on mag holsters for 1911? Better grab some now before my credit card cools down.

119678E6-1ED5-4EAF-BD98-5D71C7655D18.jpeg

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
Hey dub, reading through this it sounds like the summer special is the ticket? I’m 6-2” and 200 lbs, often carry 4 o clock IWB with my Glock 43. Have also carried OWB with a FN 9 and GP100.

In the woods I use an Gunfighter Inc chest holster (either my GP100 or Glock 19, both loaded with buffalo bore).

I love mine. Classic

If you want to explore modern materials I really like stealthgear. It has less of a cool factor, but it is plenty secure and in my opinion more comfortable than SS if you are getting in and out of cars. I also wear it in wet environments. I actually have two so I can alternate and wash and dry em out.

If you can afford a SS2 then go for it and you will be very happy. Just another quality option.
0F37AB61-0AD3-4143-A33C-A976EA841B14.jpeg
Made by stealthgear. Quality stuff. Comfortable in blue jeans and short