Consequences of Sexual Sin

LittleDrummerBoy

Do you agree with Jentezen?

Artfuldodger

What verse is he reading from at the first of the video where they took someones eyes out? Judges 16:21 concerning Samson?
Also in Jeremiah 39:7 and 2 Kings 25:7 concerning Zedekiah.

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

I thought it was more about spiritual blindness or vision. Jentezen said sin causes a loss of vision. I think any sin could do this or a bunch of sins could do this. Flesh causes more than sexual sins. Samson's lust was caused from his heart as well as his physical eyes.
With those gone, he gained his spiritual vision.

It could have easily been gambling, hate, anger, over-eating, or a combination of sins that causes a loss of vision.

gordon 2

He's trying to fit all believers into a Samson type according to his understanding of the scripture he is using. ( Nothing new.) I never thought that this way of using the bible was smart ( types), but hey that's me.

On the other hand I don't agree with his assessment, from personal experience and from other biblical narratives. I have found that if you are sincere in your faith, sexual sin will deeply affect you perhaps by crushing you, but it will not cut you off from your faith or spiritual vision as a given or by default. Besides who has perfect spiritual vision consistently throughout the life span?

You will have enough spiritual vision to repent and seek forgiveness if you loved and trusted God to begin with-- it might take time but as long as you are living you can return to the place where God will no longer know your sin as it is with you and Him forgotten and so never was.

So that means I don't agree but not for reason of doctrine as is the case with the disagreements of others. :) The consequences of sexual sin is not a one size fits all-- in my experience.

Last edited:

Madman

Not a fan of that type of message, but it draws many to hear him speak.

I do see a warning throughout Holy Scripture that warns us to be vigilant and I Do see a general connection between Samson and Matt. 12:29.

Perhaps the preacher was moved by the Spirit to speak on that specific topic, there are no heresies I heard in only one listening.

The message could have spoken to sin in general.
It does blind us to what is right, the more we dwell in it the easier it becomes, etc., etc., etc.

gemcgrew

I never thought that this way of using the bible was smart ( types), but hey that's me.
The Scripture testifies of Christ, as I see here with Samson. The types are not perfect, just as the paschal lamb. Although I find them to be wonderful, they are not as wonderful as Wonderful Himself.

His name shall be called Wonderful.

gordon 2

The Scripture testifies of Christ, as I see here with Samson. The types are not perfect, just as the paschal lamb. Although I find them to be wonderful, they are not as wonderful as Wonderful Himself.

His name shall be called Wonderful.

To each his own. But I never appreciated my God coffee being percolated through the filter of the bible to begin with. But hey, like I said, that's me. Type hunters ( usually types used from the old testament to shore up the new) are poor man theologians in my estimation. But hey. If it fits someone...good on them.

The new faithful should have, due their new faith, enough elbows within and without finding types for them in the old testament to point them out.

Last edited:

LittleDrummerBoy

Perhaps not on every point, but I do on the broad outline:

Some consequences of sexual sin do include a loss of mission, vision, common sense, healthy fear, and a loss of God's favor.

gemcgrew

Perhaps not on every point, but I do on the broad outline:

Some consequences of sexual sin do include a loss of mission, vision, common sense, healthy fear, and a loss of God's favor.
To assign any of those things to Samson, only shows that what you do not know... is what Samson's father and mother did not know.

All of this is according to the Lord's purpose.

LittleDrummerBoy

To assign any of those things to Samson, only shows that what you do not know... is what Samson's father and mother did not know.

All of this is according to the Lord's purpose.

Why can't God's consequences be accomplished through those consequences for sin?

Are there other examples in Scripture of sexual sin leading to a loss of God's favor? I can think of a number of them.

Madman

To each his own. But I never appreciated my God coffee being percolated through the filter of the bible to begin with. But hey, like I said, that's me. Type hunters ( usually types used from the old testament to shore up the new) are poor man theologians in my estimation. But hey. If it fits someone...good on them.

The new faithful should have, due their new faith, enough elbows within and without finding types for them in the old testament to point them out.
It makes my wife want to kick me when I say this, because she says most people do not understand what I am saying.

I have always taught my sons that I do not want them to know the Bible, I want them to know the God of the Bible and there is a big difference.

gordon 2

It makes my wife want to kick me when I say this, because she says most people do not understand what I am saying.

I have always taught my sons that I do not want them to know the Bible, I want them to know the God of the Bible and there is a big difference.

I've always trusted the HS pointing to Christ over theologians pointing to God. I'm really more at home in a Holy Ghost Revival meet where the demonstration is God's love, just as at home as when I was on my mother's knee, and less so with bible theologians who what to inquire if and how they can be saved. The God of the first kind is my guy. While both sides work for a balance, I think my mom's knee was a good place as to the direction I would cleave to.