Coon problem

Hillbilly stalker

Ain't freeze won't kill a horse fly any more. They changed the formula of ingredients to make it safe.

treemanjohn

Banned
Get a havahart trap, dig a hole in the dirt under the triger and put a honey bun in it. Then stake the trap down so they can't slide it around. Flip a marshmallow into the back for good measure

across the river

Get a havahart trap, dig a hole in the dirt under the triger and put a honey bun in it. Then stake the trap down so they can't slide it around. Flip a marshmallow into the back for good measure

You can buy several dog proof traps for what you would pay for one have heart trap, and you don't have to deal with getting them out of the trap.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Yes, that would be illegal. However, in that situation you could easily call DNR game management and get a permit to trap and kill it out of season. Relocation spreads rabies and other diseases to new areas where natural spread may not have occurred.

How long does it take to get a permit after you call? Cause, my wife is going to make one call and it won't be to the DNR if a Coon is in her attic. It'll be to me and my next call is to my 10 year old boy to get a trash bag.

How many varmints do you think get taken out of season due to being troublesome animals?

Feeders on the other hand are going to attract all kinds of critters. If you run a feeder you should just get use to it and trap Coons during trapping season.

frankwright

On the land we pig hunt they are a terrible problem. I have done everything, tack strips, greased legs,shark teeth,pepper spray.
Coons won't stop. Last year I got a permit and started putting out the dog proof traps with marshmallows. I could only do it for a few days at a time when I was at camp but I caught eight in two different times with four traps.
I will get a permit and do it again this year.

DAVE

Ain't freeze won't kill a horse fly any more. They changed the formula of ingredients to make it safe.
Ethylene glycol which is what almost all antifreeze sold uses is just as poisonous as ever and will kill most anything that drinks it. Propylene glycol is less toxic and is used in some coolants. The formula change was a few states, but not most require adding a substance to make the coolant taste bitter which can deter adults from drinking it but studies have shown kids under 5 and animals will still drink it. Most antifreeze sold is the deadly ethylene attractive type.

one hogman

I would be berry careful handling any coon dead or especially alive, if they scratch you or bite you you better get the Rabies shots!!

Hogwild80

On the land we pig hunt they are a terrible problem. I have done everything, tack strips, greased legs,shark teeth,pepper spray.
Coons won't stop. Last year I got a permit and started putting out the dog proof traps with marshmallows. I could only do it for a few days at a time when I was at camp but I caught eight in two different times with four traps.
I will get a permit and do it again this year.
If you need some help thinning them out I have dogs and would be more than willing to help

REDMOND1858

If the deer are hungry, they’ll come eat.
My guess is your deer ain’t that hungry. We’ve had a good bit of rain this summer, compared to other years. They’ve got plenty of fine eating everywhere they walk. Probably why your not seeing as many at your feeder.

rosewood

Not sure the coons keep deer away. I have seen deer chase coons and kick at them. The coons usually get out of the way. However, they no doubt increase the feeders corn consumption.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Not sure the coons keep deer away. I have seen deer chase coons and kick at them. The coons usually get out of the way. However, they no doubt increase the feeders corn consumption.

I got a pic of a whacked out coon this weekend.. Even had my old man a little worried..

Attachments

• IMG_1839.JPG
    IMG_1839.JPG
    253.3 KB · Views: 19