Couple New Bear Guns

Buckman18

We have deer rifles, turkey guns, skeet guns... One thing I seldom see mentioned here is dedicated bear guns... Do you really need a dedicated bear gun because your deer rifle won't work? Well, no. Does dedicating a new gun to bear hunting have the potential to add a layer of enjoyment to your life? Certainly. Normally I bear hunt with either a Marlin 45-70 or a Marlin .35 Rem.

However this year, I've got a couple of new to me guns to add to my 'bear guns.' Thought I'd share:

NEF single shot in .450 Marlin
20200824_122831.jpg

Ruger .44mag semi auto
20200824_123320.jpg

Maybe we can have some fun shooting all sorts of critters with these rifles this season.

What kind of bear guns do you have?

Whit90

Good looking guns! I really want one of those Rugers, but they are not easy to find, or easy on the wallet these days.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
ezgif.com-resize (61).jpg

45-70 I bought two bear seasons ago. Couldn't hunt much with it last year with a new knee. Still looking for 1st blood, but muh gimp ain't gone....
Love carrying it even more than my compact .308...

Hillbilly stalker

We have deer rifles, turkey guns, skeet guns... One thing I seldom see mentioned here is dedicated bear guns... Do you really need a dedicated bear gun because your deer rifle won't work? Well, no. Does dedicating a new gun to bear hunting have the potential to add a layer of enjoyment to your life? Certainly. Normally I bear hunt with either a Marlin 45-70 or a Marlin .35 Rem.

However this year, I've got a couple of new to me guns to add to my 'bear guns.' Thought I'd share:

View attachment 1035013

Ruger .44mag semi auto
View attachment 1035018

Maybe we can have some fun shooting all sorts of critters with these rifles this season.

I have 2 of them .44 carbines, both tube fed. I love them. I wouldn’t take nothing for them. I use them on hogs. Their bad medicine. You might wanna look into getting a sling lug that goes "in" that front barrel band. Usually the ones mounted in the wood like that will pull loose and strip. Mine did.

Last edited:

TnHunter356

Banned !!
I tend to break them up into "deer" rifles and 'bear & hog" rifles, due to experience showing me that having a scope with illuminated reticle is a requirement for me. My deer rifles, however, also include any bear & hog rifles I might want to use...lol.

Rifles I've used on bear hunts include .358 Win, .450 Marlin, .35 Whelen, 9.3x74R and .444 Marlin.

Buckman18

View attachment 1035020

45-70 I bought two bear seasons ago. Couldn't hunt much with it last year with a new knee. Still looking for 1st blood, but muh gimp ain't gone....
Love carrying it even more than my compact .308...

Ive come soooo close to buying that same model many many times. One day I'll bite the bullet!

Buckman18

Got a little ruger 77/44 mag that does a fine job. It's also a dream to carry

I remember you telling me about that rifle. I think that's what got me to thinking about wanting one.

ScarFoot

View attachment 1035013

Ruger .44mag semi auto
View attachment 1035018

I shoot a marlin 1895 4570,
Im jealous of that ruger .44

chrislibby88

Not a “bear only” gun but I did buy and outfit this model 7 compact in .308 for mountain and deep public land hunting. It’s very light, short and compact, and carries well. I still need to christen it with a bear, but it has got me a few mountain deer.

Attachments

• 9D9F066C-6CF9-4B59-95CF-DFAFE65F04F1.jpeg
    9D9F066C-6CF9-4B59-95CF-DFAFE65F04F1.jpeg
    694.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 24D08D36-AC3F-4826-A309-5B75CFE3961A.jpeg
    24D08D36-AC3F-4826-A309-5B75CFE3961A.jpeg
    665.4 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Rabun

I've got a model seven laminated stock in .260 that I like very much. Got my Son the compact in same caliber. Like you said...very light and easy to carry in the gnarly mountains. The Marlin is just special to me as it was my Dad's. When I hunt with my Son, he likes to tote the lever and I go with the mod 7. Jealous of the can you have on it....what caliber? Fine looking mountain bucks!

chrislibby88

I've got a model seven laminated stock in .260 that I like very much. Got my Son the compact in same caliber. Like you said...very light and easy to carry in the gnarly mountains. The Marlin is just special to me as it was my Dad's. When I hunt with my Son, he likes to tote the lever and I go with the mod 7. Jealous of the can you have on it....what caliber? Fine looking mountain bucks!
I forgot to put the caliber. It’s .308, I edited it back in. Go get a can man, I believe the wait time on the tax stamp is around 6 months now. I waited 10 or 11 months a few years ago when I got it, but it’s a bit shorter now. It is still loud when you shoot, but it brings it down to hearing safe levels, so you don’t damage your ears, and when the adrenaline is pumping all you hear is a pleasant thwack.

DeucesWild

Keep us posted on how the 450 shoots. Ive got a Browning Lever action in 450 marlin and the factory loads will shake the fillings loose in your teeth lol

TnHunter356

Banned !!
Oh, it shoots very well. LE ammo in it took this decent Georgia boar at about 125 yds, full pass through...BOTH sides of a thick sheild.

Attachments

• thumbnail-370.jpeg
    thumbnail-370.jpeg
    358.5 KB · Views: 19