Couple New Bear Guns

ChidJ

Not to hijack a thread but I'm bored at work. What are y'all looking for when you designate a gun a "bear gun"? Yesterday I was looking through the safes to see what I might call my bear gun but left undecided

chrislibby88

Not to hijack a thread but I'm bored at work. What are y'all looking for when you designate a gun a "bear gun"? Yesterday I was looking through the safes to see what I might call my bear gun but left undecided
For mountain hunting I like a shorter lightweight rifle, as in under 7.5-8 lbs loaded with a scope. There are a lot of factory guns weighing in the 5-6.5lbs range, that’s a good starting point for a “lightweight” rifle. Some folks like heavier guns though, they certainly shoot better, but when I hunt I tend to spent a walking/shooting ratio of 99:1. I prefer lighter stuff. Anyway, that’s my preference.

splatek

UAEC
Someone once told me anything in the 30 cal deer cartridge would take out a bear.
I also, like @chrislibby88 prefer something a little lighter. I am not able to do much preseason scouting right before the opener so I know I will be walking, a lot.
That being said, most bows are lighter than guns ;)

hambone76

Very Nice rifle! I like the fluted barrel on that model. I found a good deal on a Sako M85 Kodiak in .338WM. It will finally get to the range this coming week I'm hoping.

View attachment 1037202
That is a sweet looking rifle you have there. Good luck with it this season.
I’ve taken quite a few deer with it so far and my son shot 2 with it last year. It shoots lights-out at 100 yards with 168 grain Barnes TSX’s and that load is poison on deer.

Professor

It depends on what type of bear we are talking about. I carry a Ruger m77 Alaskan in 416 Ruger when doing anything in scary bear territory.