Crawfish Farm Progress...

Mexican Squealer

thanks for the interest y’all….it’s go big or go home this year. Got a boiling seasoning and a lowcountry cajun seasoning at the co-packer now that I hope folks will like as much as we have. 90 acres seeded in crawfish, one festival booked and a whole bunch more learning to do. Had a crawfish boat in the works but due to the height of my levy’s we have decided to run 3 mud boats instead. 2,000 traps, 3 boat rigs bait, labor and prayers….what could go wrong???…..you can bet something sure will…stay tuned!

Mexican Squealer

Do you have a harvest season? I’ve been following along without posting, but I def enjoy seeing an idea growing and working out.
Yes Sir, generally March-June. We could be running and selling now but the difference in the size and catch in March is so much better. Louisiana is facing an absolute crawfish disaster that could affect them for many years. I hope not though. Everything I have learned, my equipment and my crawfish all come from my cajun friends in Louisiana who depend on crawfish for their living.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Yes Sir, generally March-June. We could be running and selling now but the difference in the size and catch in March is so much better. Louisiana is facing an absolute crawfish disaster that could affect them for many years. I hope not though. Everything I have learned, my equipment and my crawfish all come from my cajun friends in Louisiana who depend on crawfish for their living.

Good deal. Is that season driven by temperature or is it when they are the biggest size?

Hate to hear about the disaster in Louisiana. Is there a disease like what happens in other livestock?

Mexican Squealer

Yes Sir, the warmer it is, the more active they feed….then the longer you let them grow (into March) the bigger the crawfish. Early prices are always higher but crawfish size is often considerably smaller. Louisiana had a bad drought that made the crawfish go super deep. The word from LSU is that they burrowed so deep that the burrows caved in and they couldn’t get out. Farmers have been pumping for months and not even able to get the rice fields to hold water due to the low water column. The long term issue is that the harvesting of surviving crawfish will compound the problem, possibly making it years for a comeback. This has combined with salt water intrusion to create a major problem. Many of the farmers in the south/southwest pump out of canals. Crawfish can’t take much saltwater. Canals we catch crappie and other freshwater fish were full of redfish and crabs in September…. Crawfish prices are through the roof and the whole industry is suffering. It’s bad.

Toliver

Yes Sir, the warmer it is, the more active they feed….then the longer you let them grow (into March) the bigger the crawfish. Early prices are always higher but crawfish size is often considerably smaller. Louisiana had a bad drought that made the crawfish go super deep. The word from LSU is that they burrowed so deep that the burrows caved in and they couldn’t get out. Farmers have been pumping for months and not even able to get the rice fields to hold water due to the low water column. The long term issue is that the harvesting of surviving crawfish will compound the problem, possibly making it years for a comeback. This has combined with salt water intrusion to create a major problem. Many of the farmers in the south/southwest pump out of canals. Crawfish can’t take much saltwater. Canals we catch crappie and other freshwater fish were full of redfish and crabs in September…. Crawfish prices are through the roof and the whole industry is suffering. It’s bad.
Things you would never know or give any thought to if you didn't read it here. I wonder how many people make a living along the whole process of producing crawfish and how many will suffer financially due to a drought.

DannyW

For some unknown reason, I find this thread to be fascinating!

I heard about the Louisianna problem. I feel sorry for those who make their living off of crawfish.

But probably a good thing for your business. Kind of like Forrest Gump being one of the only shrimpers to not get destroyed in the hurricane. The demand should be greater than the supply this season, and you know what that means.

Good luck, keep us updated.

Mexican Squealer

Should already be running….test traps and dip net surveys show good young crawfish and plenty of last years crop. Goal next season will to be cranking a week or two before the Super Bowl. Few thousand traps and skids of bait scheduled for delivery last week of Feb. Boat bottoms being painted with gator glide and two new mud motors to be delivered last week of March. Got several gators to contend with. Tags come first week of March. Boiling seasoning and Cajun seasoning I developed were finished up at the co-packer today and are in the mail. Pending my approval, FDA nutritional panel to follow and hope to bring to market in two weeks.

ED808FDA-EBB3-472F-935F-185B895A6950.jpegD8616C98-6F3A-48D7-BD9C-6F75B5E89E8E.jpeg175029DE-3FFF-468F-82D2-50AD2487AD3A.jpeg7D33F537-84F0-4471-9A81-F06215790F4A.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts