Crossbow Bolts?

blackbear

I have a few walmart 20"Carbon Express bolts,i`am wondering with a 100grain practice tip,will it be good to go in a 185# crossbow?
What should they weigh and what do i look for when i buy bolts?
Are some bolts more accurate and which brands are best and which ones are worst?
Thanks for any help.

whchunter

Arrows are often different weights measured in grams. Many manufacturers often indicate a straightened tolerance. You can expect to pay around $60 for 3 quality arrows. If you buy lighted nocks and broadheads you can have quite a few bucks in each arrow.

shdw633

Is 20 inchs the proper length bolt for your crossbow? I use both Barnett Hunter and Carbon Express bolts and watch for them to come up on sale to buy them. Both have performed well in both my Barnett and Ambush Bruin crossbows.

blackbear

Yes four 20 inch bolts came with the crossbow from the factory and have coalition stamped on them with one white and 2 orange vanes.
The crossbow is a PSE Coalition 185#.shooting 385 FPS.
TheWalmart Carbon Express bolts have the white vane with 2 green vanes.
I never thought the color of the vanes really mean anything but i never fooled with crossbows much.
Why should i "not know "what the arrows weigh,its like a secret that its not marked on the arrow..LoL..really weird.
From what i understand 400 to 425grains weight counting the broadhead should be used with crossbows shooting upto 400 fps?
How much do the carbon express cost on sale?I think i paid little under 6 bucks each.
I just do not want to shoot a under weight bolt or arrow in anything.

shdw633

The color does mean something. The white vane is loaded into the channel of the crossbow while the 2 green vanes run along the top of the rail. If you are shooting what came with the crossbow you are fine as they try to match them pretty close. Have you shot the bow with the bolts you have? Watch for xbow bolts to go on sale after the season is over, especially in the box stores. You can also watch Ebay for good prices on bolts as well, especially around XMAS. As far as 400 to 425 that is stating that depending on your broadhead weight, 100 grain to 125 grain, you should stay around a 300 grain weight arrow to include nock and vanes. Broadhead weight is personal preference usually depending on which shoots better in your bow. I like 100 grain broadheads personally, but that's just me and what I have experienced with my xbow.

blackbear

Yes i shot the walmart bolts,they shot just fine with field tips.I have not tried broadheads yet.
If i pack a box full of news papers do you think it will stop a broadhead?
I need to figure a stop,i hate to shoot broadheads in the dirt...
Thanks for the help bigtime.

shdw633

With a crossbow as big as yours a cardboard box full of paper won't cut it. I would recommend a target like the The Wedge or some other high speed crossbow target. If you still choose to use a box then get two cardboard pieces to fit inside the box to create four chambers in the box and stuff as much old clothing in those chambers as you can fit and that should at least slow down the bolt if not stop it. Getting it out may be a hassle but that's usually the case anyway even with a target.

BowanaLee

Most crossbows are capable of 3” groups at 60-90 yds. You can’t do it with mismatched arrows of different spine and weight. Manufactures have a minimum weight for arrows. If you want your bow to be quiet and last, I’d stay well above it. About all you can adjust on a crossbow is your cams so arrows are much more important over a vertical bow. I got a cheap bow for a back up on sale. It grouped on a 3” tennis ball sized dot yesterday at 90 yds. “90 yds” It’s all in the arrow. I built spine indexed matching custom arrows. Just depends how far you want to go ? You may be good with 30-40 yd groups ?

BowanaLee

Also, with a 100 gr point, I have a 437 gr arrow shooting 331 fps with a ghost 360. I'm adding 25 gr to my main xbow and 25 to 50 on my back up bow. Its louder. My idea is, it does no good to have a great grouping bow only to have a deer jump the string. It has to be quiet if you want the deer to be there, when the arrow gets there. On my chrono, my bows lose 8 fps adding 25 gr. Very minimal. My bow is slower than most because of all the silencers I have on it. I have 4 string and 6 split limb silencers on them. You'd do good to silicone a bubble level on back of it too. Especially for longer shots. This bow is drilling with 100 gr 4 blade Muzzys.

Attachments

• 18318FAE-8F77-4A8E-8214-01E3A54AE8BF.jpg resized (1).jpg
    18318FAE-8F77-4A8E-8214-01E3A54AE8BF.jpg resized (1).jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

blackbear

Do you use bow string wax on all the string except the serveing like a compound bow?
Your Bow looks serious!
I need more silencers!
Thanks

transfixer

I learned real quick the difference in " quality " bolts versus what you find at Walmart or even Academy, my Centerpoint came with factory bolts that shot ok,, I tried some Carbon Express from Academy and they shot differently, had to rezero for them, but none flew as straight or grouped as tight as the Black Eagle Executioners I ordered online, I got the ones guaranteed straight within .001 and even though they weren't cheap, it definitely makes a difference in the way they fly and stack, I basically can't shoot more than two at the same spot on the target for fear of ruining a bolt. they group that tight.

BowanaLee

Do you use bow string wax on all the string except the serveing like a compound bow?
Your Bow looks serious!
I need more silencers!
Thanks
I get the 2 oz jar of Trident pure silicone grease. And yes, I put it on the string and rail. The only serving that really needs it is the center serving unless you serve the cables under the rail like me. Mine are served for protection.

blackbear

Has anyone tried the Ten Point bolts with the Alpha-nocks if yes do you recommend them?
Also does anyone recommend any type lighted nocks?
I wonder how long the nock batteries last and can they be replaced ?Do you like them?
Has anyone rigged a light on a crossbow for night varmint hunting?
Do you guys use a shoulder sling of some kind and do you only carry slinged uncocked?
Its a long hike to my treestand,i could get a shot on the ground slipping in so i will be loaded with a bolt,when i climb in my stand i will be pulling up with rope my crossbow cocked but no bolt loaded,should i wrap a small rope around the string and butt in case the bow tried to go off and dryfire for some reason?
What do you guys do that go in hunting all the way to the stand then climb high?
Thanks bigtime for the help!

shdw633

Love lighted nocks, I don't even remember the name of mine but I bought them when Gander Mountain closed all their store, you will love them as far as seeing where the bolt flew and finding it after the shot. I hike it, unbolt and just pull my to my seat via rope. Even if I am just walking to the stand with an uncock crossbow, I cock it at the base of the stand and pull it up unbolted. All my nocks are still going strong after 2 season.

Wayne D Davis

Dropped off my xbow at Backwoods Bowstrings today for new string and picked up some lighted nocks....3 pac $39.95. I forget the brand. They have them for me when I get my bow next week. First time I've ever tried them

transfixer

I tried using lighted nocks on a previous crossbow I had, but found they added a significant amount of weight to the rear of the bolt, I would have had to increase my broadhead weight in order to keep the weight forward balance needed for good flight, which would have made the bolts much heavier,,, and thus slower .. I chose not to go that route.

BowanaLee

Has anyone tried the Ten Point bolts with the Alpha-nocks if yes do you recommend them?
Also does anyone recommend any type lighted nocks?
I wonder how long the nock batteries last and can they be replaced ?Do you like them?
Has anyone rigged a light on a crossbow for night varmint hunting?
Do you guys use a shoulder sling of some kind and do you only carry slinged uncocked?
Its a long hike to my treestand,i could get a shot on the ground slipping in so i will be loaded with a bolt,when i climb in my stand i will be pulling up with rope my crossbow cocked but no bolt loaded,should i wrap a small rope around the string and butt in case the bow tried to go off and dryfire for some reason?
What do you guys do that go in hunting all the way to the stand then climb high?
Thanks bigtime for the help!

I've got a light that fits on my picatinny rail. I've never used it but its easily bright enough for 40 yd shots. I have regular slings on both my xbows. I don't load until I'm setup in tree only because I don't shoot off video.

whchunter

Also, with a 100 gr point, I have a 437 gr arrow shooting 331 fps with a ghost 360. I'm adding 25 gr to my main xbow and 25 to 50 on my back up bow. Its louder. My idea is, it does no good to have a great grouping bow only to have a deer jump the string. It has to be quiet if you want the deer to be there, when the arrow gets there. On my chrono, my bows lose 8 fps adding 25 gr. Very minimal. My bow is slower than most because of all the silencers I have on it. I have 4 string and 6 split limb silencers on them. You'd do good to silicone a bubble level on back of it too. Especially for longer shots. This bow is drilling with 100 gr 4 blade Muzzys.
I assume the level is to keep the limbs on the same level so not tilted. I've heard about this on compound but not thought of the similar importance on CBS. When you speak of longer shots what is long? My hearing isn't that good so is there a way to measure the sound and have you ever measured your before and after?

BowanaLee

I assume the level is to keep the limbs on the same level so not tilted. I've heard about this on compound but not thought of the similar importance on CBS. When you speak of longer shots what is long? My hearing isn't that good so is there a way to measure the sound and have you ever measured your before and after?

Long to me is 40 and over. Sometimes I shoot at home 90 to 100 yds. Canting your bow can make you miss left and right. It shows more the farther the shot is. I don't hear to good these days either. I can hear the difference in most bows though. If you want to get technical on it, theres a meter for it.