Deer hunting vehicle?

GAHUNTER60

Being old and stupid, I just ordered and took delivery on a Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado to use as my all-round vehicle, which includes driving on my hunting lease. Not knowing any better, I bought one with the Quadra Track 1, 4x4 system. After the initial test drive (producing an impressive ride), I signed the paperwork and she was/is mine!

Later in the day, I came out and decided to try out 4-wheel-drive. I got in and started looking for the transfer case switches -- and there weren't any!!! My first thought was that I had bought a vehicle that said it was 4-wheel-drive, but, in reality, wasn't! I immediately took off for the dealer.

When I got there, they informed me that the Larado comes with the Quadra Track 1, 4x4 system, which is engaged by the vehicle automatically when a wheel starts to slip. With this system, the driver has no control over the 4-wheel-drive!

Now, I've owned 4-wheel-drive vehicles for the last 40 years, and never seen one that engages automatically. They swear that it's a true 4x4 system, NOT an all-wheel-drive system). The problem is, there are times when I want to use 4-wheel-drive to prevent wheel slippage, such as when I'm crossing my landowner's wet pasture after a rain storm so as to not cause any rutting! With this system, the four wheel drive doesn't kick int until after slippage, and rutting, occurs.

I'm not real happy right now, but I guess I only have myself to blame due to my lack of proper research into the different 4x4 systems.

Anybody else have any real experience with this 4x4 system on a deer hunting vehicle? Does it fulfill your off road needs?

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Is there not a buyer's remorse grace period?

delacroix

BANNED
If the differentials don't lock it ain't 4×4. Is it even rear wheel drive? I thought most of those soccer mom suvs had gone to front wheel only, engaging the rear when you need the power. That's how my Explorer is. The Explorer I had before was real 4×4 but they don't make them like that anymore. It is OK in wet grass using the appropriate mode on he selector dial. Don't know about mud because I don't use it for that.

ucfireman

It will engage faster than the wheels cause rutting. It is something like 1/4 spin. I read up a little just the other day on Jeep Wrangler/Gladiator. And Cherokee.

that system has been around forever, the old jeeps in the late 70s used that system
Wagoneers I believe.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I’d say go try it out! Sounds like you’re planning on getting it dirty anyway. You may be impressed, but if you still hate it, then seek replacement options.

My ‘08 ridgeline is front wheel drive and the rear kicks in pretty quick When needed, but it does allow me to engage if I want. Still, I’d think that a new Jeep 4x4 would be SWEEEET! Test that sucker out and let us know how it goes!:rockon:

chrislibby88

I have a girly Jeep Liberty, pretty sure it has the same kind of system, but I do have a little tab I pull to engage 4x4 (I don’t know or care to know much about cars) and it does fine in mud and slippery terrain, I rarely even need 4x4. The short wheel base and low weight keeps it from sinking bad even in super saturated ground. I could use more ground clearance for going down rutted roads, but other than that I love it. Thing turns on a dime, so I can turn around on narrow roads that full sized trucks can’t. Go run it for a year before you condemn it.

ucfireman

Auto start/stop engine technology. Sounds like the same tech that is causing engine problems wit the V8s in the F series.
Hope they get it figured out because it looks nice, just don't like the new tech.
Jeep is tried and tested.

jdgator

My LT model z71 has a knob on the dash that you turn to engage 4wd. Not a fan of electronically controlled transfer cases. They look good on paper, make for fancier interior, and prevent idiots from engaging power at the wrong times. But they are vulnerable to shorting out when wet, losing signal to the pcm when the control harness becomes weighted with mud, and failing when exposed to the kinds of inclement conditions in which you need 4x4 most. My next truck will be a 2500 series work truck with 6.0 engine and manual 4wd control on the floor.

treemanjohn

Banned
I have always been of the school in using 2wd first until I get stuck then switch to 4wd. Its always gotten me out of rough spots

I assume the jeep system works on that premise.

strothershwacker

Being old and stupid, I just ordered and took delivery on a Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado to use as my all-round vehicle, which includes driving on my hunting lease. Not knowing any better, I bought one with the Quadra Track 1, 4x4 system. After the initial test drive (producing an impressive ride), I signed the paperwork and she was/is mine!

Later in the day, I came out and decided to try out 4-wheel-drive. I got in and started looking for the transfer case switches -- and there weren't any!!! My first thought was that I had bought a vehicle that said it was 4-wheel-drive, but, in reality, wasn't! I immediately took off for the dealer.

When I got there, they informed me that the Larado comes with the Quadra Track 1, 4x4 system, which is engaged by the vehicle automatically when a wheel starts to slip. With this system, the driver has no control over the 4-wheel-drive!

Now, I've owned 4-wheel-drive vehicles for the last 40 years, and never seen one that engages automatically. They swear that it's a true 4x4 system, NOT an all-wheel-drive system). The problem is, there are times when I want to use 4-wheel-drive to prevent wheel slippage, such as when I'm crossing my landowner's wet pasture after a rain storm so as to not cause any rutting! With this system, the four wheel drive doesn't kick int until after slippage, and rutting, occurs.

I'm not real happy right now, but I guess I only have myself to blame due to my lack of proper research into the different 4x4 systems.

Anybody else have any real experience with this 4x4 system on a deer hunting vehicle? Does it fulfill your off road needs?
It's a newer version of what's been around for 40 years. The old wagoneer, j-10 pickups, and even a few CJ-7 had it. It's a true 4wheel drive. The system was way ahead of it's time back in the day. As a jeep enthusiast I can assure you that you have a very capable 4 wheel drive! The late Granville King, author of the Jeep Bible (who was a true off-road guru & gearhead) spoke highly of the qaudra-trac. Having owned a CJ-7 and a 79 j-10 with it I can honestly say that it impressed me & others greatly in the woods. My older brother is a grand Cherokee guru who also holds the system in high regards. Yes sir, make no mistake about it, you have a machine capable of doing a lot more than you'll probably ever need it to. Enjoy your Jeep! (I'm now a Toyota convert but that's a whole nuther story ?)

GAHUNTER60

Thanks for all the input. As the old saying goes, "the proof is in the puddin'." I'm not going to put her through her off-road packed for a little while yet. Once I dp, I'll report back!

transfixer

I have not worked on or driven one of the new Jeep systems yet, but many manufacturers are going that direction, I guess the theory is the average consumer isn't savvy enough to know when they need 4wd so they decide it for them ?

One thing I do know is you will have to keep your tires rotated and air pressure equal in them at all time, if one tire wears down more than others to a noticeable amount, its circumference will be smaller, it will complete a revolution faster than the other tires, and the computer will interpret that as slipping and keep the 4wd engaged, it knows this because each wheel has a speed sensor, keeping it engaged can prematurely wear out your transfer case and affect your fuel mileage, same scenario if one tire is low on air.

Tight Lines

Jeep Quadra-Trac is a good system, and like others have said, has been around forever. It is a real 4WD system. The only downside I see to those is that I like to have 4 low, and be able to lock the differentials.

My wife's last Acura MDX was AWD, but I could lock the diffs and it was a 4.88 gearset...so it would do great in anything resembling mud...my current Yukon XL I hate because it does not have 4 low due to the axles. I will sell it someday and get one with 4 low. It is my hunting vehicle and also our beach, mountain, road trip vehicle. So great on gas, not great in mud but I don't need much.

I also think once the Jeep is in 4WD that the viscous clutches in the transfer case can transfer power to the different wheels as needed and it happens very quickly i.e. you can't tell it is so fast. I might be wrong but that is the same system that Audi use on the Quattro and Subaru uses, etc. If so, it is basically bullet proof...

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
My LT model z71 has a knob on the dash that you turn to engage 4wd. Not a fan of electronically controlled transfer cases. They look good on paper, make for fancier interior, and prevent idiots from engaging power at the wrong times. But they are vulnerable to shorting out when wet, losing signal to the pcm when the control harness becomes weighted with mud, and failing when exposed to the kinds of inclement conditions in which you need 4x4 most. My next truck will be a 2500 series work truck with 6.0 engine and manual 4wd control on the floor.
You can still get a shifter on the floor?

Latest posts