Deer stand close to public road

Buford_Dawg

So, according to GA Hunting regulations, it is unlawful to discharge a firearm within 50 yards of a Public Road, so I would assume you need to be 50 yards from a public road to have a deer stand such as a box or tower stand. That is how I understand the hunting regulations, is that correct?

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
27-3-10. Hunting upon or discharging weapons across a public road.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to hunt, with or without dogs, any wildlife upon any public road in this state. It shall also be unlawful for any person while hunting to discharge any weapon from or across any public road in this state.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
16-11-103. Discharge of gun or pistol near public highway; penalty.
(a) As used in this Code section, the term:
(1) “Firearm” means any handgun, rifle, or shotgun.
(2) “Public highway” means every public street, road, and highway in this state.
(3) “Sport shooting range” means an area designated and operated by a person or entity for the sport shooting of firearms, target practice, trapshooting, skeet shooting, or shooting sporting clays and not available for such use by the general public without payment of a fee, membership contribution, or dues or without the invitation of an authorized person, or any area so designated and operated by a unit of government, regardless of the terms of admission thereto.
(4) “Unit of government” means any of the departments, agencies, authorities, or political subdivisions of the state, cities, municipal corporations, townships, or villages and any of their respective departments, agencies, or authorities.
(b) Except as provided in subsection (c) of this Code section, it shall be unlawful for any person, without legal justification, to discharge a firearm on or within 50 yards of a public highway.
(c) This Code section shall not apply to a discharge of a firearm which occurs within 50 yards of a public highway if such discharge is shielded from the view of a traveler on the public highway and occurs at:
(1) An indoor or outdoor sport shooting range;
(2) Facilities used for firearm or hunting safety courses sponsored by a unit of government, nonprofit corporation, or commercial enterprise; or
(3) The business location of any person, firm, retail dealer, wholesale dealer, pawnbroker, or corporation licensed as a firearm dealer.
(d) Any person who violates subsection (b) of the Code section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

Donal

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to hunt, with or without dogs, any wildlife upon any public road in this state. It shall also be unlawful for any person while hunting to discharge any weapon from or across any public road in this state.[/QUOTE]

This section states "wildlife," which includes game animals and all others. Also "while hunting to discharge any weapon," which includes all archery equipment.
"Public road," is important here.

Last edited:

sleepr71

Wonder if that is the edge of the road,or the edge of the right of way? May be a good chance for Mr Green Jeans to get ya on a Technicality ??

Buford_Dawg

I appreciate all the input, reason I hang on out here, you can generally get a answer pretty quickly. I will make sure my box stand is 51 or more yards off the side of the gravel road.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Ya, I got a power line that is about 50 yd off the road on the far side. If I put a blind on the far side, I will be shooting kind of towards the road, even down the power line. If I put the blind on the near side to the road, I'm too close legally.
I haven't been able to figure it out for 13 years. Not gonna do it.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
16-11-103. Discharge of gun or pistol near public highway; penalty.
(a) As used in this Code section, the term:
(1) “Firearm” means any handgun, rifle, or shotgun.
(2) “Public highway” means every public street, road, and highway in this state.
(3) “Sport shooting range” means an area designated and operated by a person or entity for the sport shooting of firearms, target practice, trapshooting, skeet shooting, or shooting sporting clays and not available for such use by the general public without payment of a fee, membership contribution, or dues or without the invitation of an authorized person, or any area so designated and operated by a unit of government, regardless of the terms of admission thereto.
(4) “Unit of government” means any of the departments, agencies, authorities, or political subdivisions of the state, cities, municipal corporations, townships, or villages and any of their respective departments, agencies, or authorities.
(b) Except as provided in subsection (c) of this Code section, it shall be unlawful for any person, without legal justification, to discharge a firearm on or within 50 yards of a public highway.
(c) This Code section shall not apply to a discharge of a firearm which occurs within 50 yards of a public highway if such discharge is shielded from the view of a traveler on the public highway and occurs at:
(1) An indoor or outdoor sport shooting range;
(2) Facilities used for firearm or hunting safety courses sponsored by a unit of government, nonprofit corporation, or commercial enterprise; or
(3) The business location of any person, firm, retail dealer, wholesale dealer, pawnbroker, or corporation licensed as a firearm dealer.
(d) Any person who violates subsection (b) of the Code section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.
Is this from the centerline,edge of road ,or edge of row? That 10 yards could cost someone some $$$

jrickman

I try to get as far away from the road, and above it, as I can stand to walk, so as not to find myself covered in dust when the convoy of 40 Jeeps with Fulton and Gwinnett county tags comes rolling through about 10:30 to "share the abundance of our natural resources" with me.

Josh B

Right now I’m getting all my buck pictures 50 yards from the road and they are there all times of the day. I normally get off the beaten path but my camera is telling me to sit by the road also.

Latest posts