Deer stand close to public road

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Ya, I got a power line that is about 50 yd off the road on the far side. If I put a blind on the far side, I will be shooting kind of towards the road, even down the power line. If I put the blind on the near side to the road, I'm too close legally.
I haven't been able to figure it out for 13 years. Not gonna do it.

get a tall ladder stand and set up on far side of the powerline shots will be down and never reach the road.

ucfireman

Right now I’m getting all my buck pictures 50 yards from the road and they are there all times of the day. I normally get off the beaten path but my camera is telling me to sit by the road also.
Sit more than 50 yards away and face the road. That way your legal. Right?

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
so a stand alongside a private road is ok? Firebreaks considered a right of way?

BASS1FUN

I saw a tower stand in Putnam county on the road and I know the game warden had to see it, wonder while its still up.

Josh B

I saw a tower stand in Putnam county on the road and I know the game warden had to see it, wonder while its still up.
I think I know what you are talking about. Not far from the pyramid in a cutover? When I get to go up to Illinois I see stands every where right on the roads. I just really don't want to listen to cars driving by myself.

sleepr71

As long as you’re shooting AWAY from the road…I’d imagine most GW’s would be lenient (if it was close) & use common sense. Provided you have a decent attitude & common sense yourself.