Deer tote for a poor man

Fishin & Hunting

It did it's work twice this week.

Worked fine again this morning after my hunting buddy shot another doe.

Attachments

• Deer tote 2.jpg
    Deer tote 2.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 6,344
Here's my modified Warren/Sweat Pony cart. The way the thing was originally designed it had a center of gravity that was too high. It also wasn't wide enough to be stable. I bought a steel rod, 4 collars, some ubolts, and some wheel-barrow wheels. It is now very nice. The rubber wheel-barrow tires act like shock absorbers when rolling deer and gear into and out of the woods.

cart1.jpg

cart2.jpg

cart3.jpg

cart4.jpg

Fishin & Hunting

Had to beef it up

After the third deer the deer tote became loose since I did not double jam nut the axles and all thread rods helping to hold it together.

A friend offered to weld it up for me. He also on his own added a lower shelf and handle extention.

Good thing he did, had to use it tonight.

Attachments

• PA290015 rduced.jpg
    PA290015 rduced.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 6,335

frankwright

Years ago while hunting alone and a long way from the truck, I shot two deer right at dark. The next day I started building a wheeled deer cart.

I like this style as it has a low center of gravity and with an air filled bicycle tire on the front it will hop right over small logs and bumps. You can push it in front of you or pull it behind you. It lays almost flat on the ground to roll the deer on and breaks down into two pieces.

This has been hanging in my garage for at least five years. I probably should put it on the sell and swap forum.

Attachments

• deerhauler.jpg
    deerhauler.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 6,297

whitworth

Saving money and energy

Fishing & Hunting, that looks like an effective, inexpensive job to me. Of course, big wheels would work better in the woods.
I use those small wheeled hand trucks to haul my stuff from the vehicle to the rifle range.

Bet that trailer in the back, cost a lot more money!

Dub

Those are awsome ideas. I have an old hand truck in the garage that I could easily put some large tires on and paint it up.

I'll give it whirl and post the results.

7Mag Hunter

I made one kinda like FrankWright...Started with 16" bike
tire, but switched to 20" as it goes over logs better....

Could not wait to try it out, so I loaded my 3 grandsons and
pulled/pushed them around the yard to "practice"...

That was 7 years ago...Still works fine....Put new tire and
tube on it last year, as it had slow leak...

TOW

Do you fellers actually used some sort of wheeled bicycle contraption to get your deer out of the woods?

Heck, next thing you know you'll be using an ATV..

Carryingtwobucks.jpg

;) ;) ;)

Eddy M.

GONetwork Member
looks good to me great idea

creekrunner

I made this out of an old wheelbarrow several years ago.put some 2x4 extensions on the handle and some 1x4 . works pretty good, I strap em on and pull it.
The thing I like best, set the wheel on the tailgate, and roll it in, makes loading a deer easy.

Attachments

• deer cart.jpg
    deer cart.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 5,528

YankeeRedneck

Golf Bag Cart

I found a golf bag cart in a junk pile and took it home and used it to drag out my first Georgia doe. It was priced right and ALOT easier than dragging her on the ground. I would widen it a little but it really worked pretty well. Just another idea to add to the list.....

Ozzie

Another advantage with these cheap contraptions is that you can just stash them in the woods in your hunting area (depending on your individual situation) so you won't have to walk a mile back to the truck to get it each time. I use one of these carts and try to pre-position it in the woods in a brush pile in the general vicinity so it's right there handy when I kill one.

gadeerwoman

I've got two home made ones.one is made out of a discarded hand truck that I've had close to 20 years. The handle had broke on the thing and the office was tossing it. I took and had someone weld a pipe between the breaks to make it a little longer and bolted a piece of plywood near the bottom foot and slipped an old tire innertube over the top. Other is simply a metal bar with 2 wheels on either side and two hooks at the top. It slips over the rungs of a section of ladder stand. Simply tie the deer on and rollout. Both worked like a charm.
Also made a great barbed wire roller out of the handles off an old push lawn mower.

GTBHUNTIN

I know what I will be using to drag my deer out with this year.

short stop

Figure Im due for a new tote like these --got some good ideas from all these pics -I sold my 4 wheeler and just refused to shake off 6 grand to buy a new one . I think things are alot simpler when we look back at how things used to be .

brofoster

Guess I need to invest in something like that. I shot a hog in March that weighed right under 200lbs. I had walked for quite a while that morning. When I looked down at the GPS it read 1.3 miles back to the truck. I shot at about 2:30 and it was something close to 6:00 when I got him on the truck. I even field dressed him and cut off his head. I would have paid $100 for one of those inventions.