Did my Vortex just cost me a deer?

reflexman

Snake Dodger
I tell you I have a ziess conquest 3x9 x50 duplex crosshairs great scope but just turned 55 n the eyes aint what they use to be. but ihave blamed a couple misses on my crappy scope :mad:

Jim Boyd

Applied similar logic (can't shoot what you don't see) and bought a Meopta Meostar 3-12x56.

That is an incredible scope.

Those days are gone for me now, but the three best scopes I ever had were the Meopta Meostar, Zeiss Conquest and Swarovski - all in 3-12x56.

Superior glass.

As far as all the time we spend devoted to hunting, why go second class?

Best of luck to all.

Dub

Well, i went and bought some temp binos for this morning. Wish I had then yesterday. Would have made it out clear as day. Yep. I'm a willie nilly moron. You live. You learn.

Good job.

You'l see a pile of stuff in those that will really improve your hunting....and hunting safety.

My first pair were some Nikon Action 10x50mm from Walmart for $80 if I remember correctly.

Simply amazing the improvement.....and in low light, too.

Sometime prior to 2020 deer season I'll need to get a decent pair of binos.

I'd love to have a pair of Swaros....but have too many other gun-hunting-handloading gear that I want to go too deep into it.

If I hit the lottery, I'd have S&B or high-end Swarovski scopes and binos. Instead....gonna have to get best I can afford at the time.

Buckman18

Sometimes deer just come out when its too dark to shoot. In my 30 years of hunting Ive never attributed a failed opportunity to a bad scope. On my rifles, youll find an older Tasco, Bushnells, Nikons, and Leupolds. I had a Swarovski once, and it wasn't any better than my Leupolds to me. Just a waste of money for me.

Buckstop

I have one 4x16x50 Vortex Viper with a 30mm tube. Hunted with it one weekend and took it off. Just didn’t cut it in low light. Leupold’s I have were far better. The Votex has found its way on a few different rifles I target shoot with. It does have crisp adjustments and holds zero well. Just fine at the range

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Your original question would be practically impossible to answer without another scope to try out in the exact same conditions.

Lots of people like there Vortex products. I have a pair of 10 x 42 razors. Ive had to send them back twice. I wont be buying anything else from them.

I have been all down the glass road. Mostly because of hunting out west. Good glass really makes a difference when hunting big open places.

Do you hunt big ag fields? Thick woods? Or both?

These questions will determine what gear you need to buy.

For scopes. I have settled on Leupold VX3I. Its a little much for the thick woods but preforms well at distance too. It will get me past legal shooting light.

Binos:
I have a pair of 10 x 42 swaros. I bought them used for about half the price of a new pair. There awesome.

I dont carry them here for several reasons.

For hunting at home i like a smaller more compact set. There lighter to carry and have a wider field of view up close. 8 x 42 will get you well past shooting light.

I use nikon Monarchs. Ive had them for many years. I dont baby them and have never had a problem. If something happend to mine. Id buy another set today.

A good excersie:
Go to a sporting goods store late in the day. Take several pairs out side while the sun is setting. Look thru different brands. Could give you a leg up on what your eyes like best.