Doe Harvest

ddd-shooter

Current doe harvest in union county is more than antlered deer. 990+ compared to 980+
I suspected an increase, due to bad mast crops, but usual harvest is typically around half of this year.
I have noticed far fewer deer in settlement areas compared to years past-even though there are more hitting fields due to mast failure.

What are y’all seeing?
Is this a statistical error, @C.Killmaster?

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I can't speak for other parts of the county, but we have definitely noticed more deer in the settlements around my area. Several evenings we've counted upwards of 50 just driving home from church. This year, practically every doe had twins and I've seen one with triplets.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Current doe harvest in union county is more than antlered deer. 990+ compared to 980+
I suspected an increase, due to bad mast crops, but usual harvest is typically around half of this year.
I have noticed far fewer deer in settlement areas compared to years past-even though there are more hitting fields due to mast failure.

What are y’all seeing?
Is this a statistical error, @C.Killmaster?

I don't think it's a statistical error, the population on private land is increasing due to the very limited either-sex days. I think does are probably more susceptible to harvest on fields this season because of the mast failure as you suggested. It's an odd situation, deer on private land in mountain counties are increasing, but the populations on public lands are low and either stable or decreasing.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
In my immediate area on the Fannin/Union line we have well over 100 per sq. mi. They need thinning.

tree cutter 08

Current baiting law doesn't help the situation for the public land in the mountains. Shooting does on private land that is adjacent to fs isnt helping things. On a positive note it should be a record high bear harvest . We only killed 2 and seen the lowest number I can remember in 20 years. I'm sure they will be thick as Flys again by summer.

ddd-shooter

I don't think it's a statistical error, the population on private land is increasing due to the very limited either-sex days. I think does are probably more susceptible to harvest on fields this season because of the mast failure as you suggested. It's an odd situation, deer on private land in mountain counties are increasing, but the populations on public lands are low and either stable or decreasing.
Thanks for your response.
To me, yes, the limited antlerless days are working; but there’s absolutely no way they magically worked 100% better in one year. Especially since they’ve been limited for many years now.
One of my concerns is that this was the first year baiting was legal during a massive mast crop failure. I could very easily see many people who are literally looking at every deer in the area for the first time thinking we have a sudden boom in the population, when really, they’re seeing all the deer they don’t normally see because there are no acorns. Could be totally wrong.
I could also see, as @tree cutter 08 mentioned, a significant drop of public land populations due to food migrations.
Practically, I’m not a fan of year round doe harvest on baited fields with modern archery equipment and I think that needs changed.

tree cutter 08

Thanks for your response.
To me, yes, the limited antlerless days are working; but there’s absolutely no way they magically worked 100% better in one year. Especially since they’ve been limited for many years now.
One of my concerns is that this was the first year baiting was legal during a massive mast crop failure. I could very easily see many people who are literally looking at every deer in the area for the first time thinking we have a sudden boom in the population, when really, they’re seeing all the deer they don’t normally see because there are no acorns. Could be totally wrong.
I could also see, as @tree cutter 08 mentioned, a significant drop of public land populations due to food migrations.
Practically, I’m not a fan of year round doe harvest on baited fields with modern archery equipment and I think that needs changed.
Exactly,. There was quite a bit of bucks and I'm sure does that was killed on private land that boarders forest service because the bait this year. I know of many. It would make you think the population is booming so let's hammer down and in all reality they still need all the help they can get to help with the numbers. It's only more salt in the wound this year. As far as the archery antlerless deal all season, it needs to go. Or at least the crossbows. All it takes is one person that is ambitious enough to really hurt the local population legally. If you don't think people do that your only kidding yourself. I've seen it all season. Some places can stand that pressure but most can't.

splatek

UAEC
Exactly,. There was quite a bit of bucks and I'm sure does that was killed on private land that boarders forest service because the bait this year. I know of many. It would make you think the population is booming so let's hammer down and in all reality they still need all the help they can get to help with the numbers. It's only more salt in the wound this year. As far as the archery antlerless deal all season, it needs to go. Or at least the crossbows. All it takes is one person that is ambitious enough to really hurt the local population legally. If you don't think people do that your only kidding yourself. I've seen it all season. Some places can stand that pressure but most can't.

I’ve been curious about this as well. And the days from some states crossbow harvest is as much or more than rifles. They’re massacring them.
It would be interesting to see what a few years of doe days only for does regardless of weapon.

ddd-shooter

I know a guy who killed quite a few does last year with archery tackle.
He’s not hunting that same spot again this year. Wonder why? lol
I’ll be submitting comments to DNR for the regulation cycle to eliminate all year long archery take in the mountain counties.

I know a guy who killed quite a few does last year with archery tackle.
He’s not hunting that same spot again this year. Wonder why? lol
I’ll be submitting comments to DNR for the regulation cycle to eliminate all year long archery take in the mountain counties.
Shouldn’t punish the hunter or weapon. Bow hunting is hard enough as it is. There are very few people who can kill that many deer all year with a bow add in mountain terrain and you don’t have that many.. can’t agree with you on this

In my opinion here. hunters should be contacting dnr, state reps and attending meetings about these issues if they aren’t already. lobbying folks to restrict hunters or weapon of choice is not the correct avenue. These folks have way more knowledge than most of us on how to manage wildlife. We already have enough people telling us what we can and cannot do and limiting our weapons of choice they don’t need any help in taking things away from us

splatek

UAEC
In my opinion here. hunters should be contacting dnr, state reps and attending meetings about these issues if they aren’t already. lobbying folks to restrict hunters or weapon of choice is not the correct avenue. These folks have way more knowledge than most of us on how to manage wildlife. We already have enough people telling us what we can and cannot do and limiting our weapons of choice they don’t need any help in taking things away from us

I’m no expert, but isn’t weapon part of management, particularly in a region that can’t engage habitat management?

ddd-shooter

Shouldn’t punish the hunter or weapon. Bow hunting is hard enough as it is. There are very few people who can kill that many deer all year with a bow add in mountain terrain and you don’t have that many.. can’t agree with you on this
Have you ever seen 6 or 7 deer under a corn feeder? Ever shot the new crossbows that literally have a crosshair for 100 yard shots and guarantee 1” groups?
I’m not saying you shouldn’t be able to use a crossbow. I’m not saying you shouldn’t have doe days. I AM saying that we shouldn’t let hunters kill does ALL YEAR with archery. Literally no freedom lost, except to practice restraint.
This is not the piedmont region. Our deer are very susceptible to mast crop and weather. We don’t cut or burn enough and deer can’t wait to leave the closed canopy deserts to eat corn in Ethels back yard.

I'm just not for killing does period. I remember what it use to be like and what it is now. I understand alot of areas need doe harvest to keep things balanced but in my neck of the woods they are important as a hen turkey.
I agree treecutter. A lot of us on here that grew up hunting the mountains have seen the drastic decline of deer. Alot of private up here either borders Forest Service or is close. A lot of The does being killed come off the mountains during bad acorn crop years which is common last few years. I think deer are getting use to the easier living once they get down in civilization. A lot more food,less predators and bears to compete with.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Have you ever seen 6 or 7 deer under a corn feeder? Ever shot the new crossbows that literally have a crosshair for 100 yard shots and guarantee 1” groups?
I’m not saying you shouldn’t be able to use a crossbow. I’m not saying you shouldn’t have doe days. I AM saying that we shouldn’t let hunters kill does ALL YEAR with archery. Literally no freedom lost, except to practice restraint.
This is not the piedmont region. Our deer are very susceptible to mast crop and weather. We don’t cut or burn enough and deer can’t wait to leave the closed canopy deserts to eat corn in Ethels back yard.
That thing shoot better than my 30 30 it sounds like.

ddd-shooter

I agree treecutter. A lot of us on here that grew up hunting the mountains have seen the drastic decline of deer. Alot of private up here either borders Forest Service or is close. A lot of The does being killed come off the mountains during bad acorn crop years which is common last few years. I think deer are getting use to the easier living once they get down in civilization. A lot more food,less predators and bears to compete with.
I remember waiting in line to check out deer at the check station.
Seriously.
Over 100 killed easily. This year, I think 25? And it was a good year-starting to help not killing does, but we had great weather also.
@C.Killmaster I’d love for you to get a grad student to collar a mature deer and see how much it moves near private up here. I’ve seen big woods studies from penn state and MSU, but not much mixed habitat, but I could really be missing it.
I killed my buck miles from private and fields this year, and he had a stomach full of green grass.

Latest posts