Does anyone hunt from the ground???

THREEJAYS

I also do alot.wind in face and I try to be in an area where I can at least see 40-50 yds.

contender*

One bad part is if your sittin directly on the ground your rump will get wet if it's rained in the past week. I try to carry a black garbage bag or some such thing in my gear.

SuthernStix

When gun season starts, I probably hunt 90% of the time from the ground. It's much more challenging to me. I can easily move around and find that hot spot and its more of a thrill. I usually hunt pretty thick areas and can see better from the ground. The trick for me is to really look the area over, try to determine the most likely way the deer will be traveling sit with my back against a tree or near a bush. Leave as much cover around you as possible. And be very very still!! I make sure my chlothes have been washed in scent killer detergent....You will get busted! especially when that curious doe finally spots you... It's a challenge, but when it all comes together it's a makes for a special time.

jaybirdius

the ground is great

I use one of the Scentite tent chair blinds, it sets up easy and wherever you want to, keeps the wind and rain off, and is easy to heat with a small propane heater, mine weighs about 7 lbs. and sets up in seconds, I prefer it to a tree stand on field edges and in dense cover, it works great early in the season when 15 feet of elevation only gets you a view of the leaves

DCHunter

I've only been through 2 seasons so far but 3 out 5 deer have been taken from the ground. 2 of those times I didn't plan to hunt from the ground but once it was raining so I under cover and waited it out and saw a doe once it cleared up, and the other time it was so windy that I got down from the stand and walked up wind to where I knew there was a good chance there was a deer in the area and busted a buck. I think it had to do with the weather circumstances that it worked for me since the wind drowned out my foot steps.