Dogs hearing?

ucfireman

I have recently been thinking of getting a retriever dog. I have never had a hunting dog before so,
Does the shooting affect their hearing over time? I know we have ear plugs to wear during target shooting etc. But having a dog sitting next to you in a duck blind shooting numerous times a day several times during the season and also shooting during training does if affect their hearing over time?
Im just curious what the folks that have had numerous dogs over the years have noticed hearing loss in their older dogs?
I wouldn't think squirrel or rabbit dogs would be affected too bad as they are not right next to the gun but duck dogs are usually right beside the hunter.
Also do yall use live rounds during retriever training? I'm sure it helps with desensitizing or do y'all just throw the decoy and let them go?

flatsmaster

Not really any live rounds close other then hunting for me ... that being said some do get hearing loss ... depends how much u hunt and how u place the dog imo ... pm me if u want more info on the training

flatsmaster

At a stage of training when pup is ready u may shoot a live flyer in training but I always had someone else shoot at a distance while I concentrated on my pup so he wouldn't or couldn't break ...

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Generally The only thing that would usually affect a retriever's hearing would be genetic (hereditary) hearing loss.

krazybronco2

normally during training we use poppers (empty shot shell with primer) when handling a shotgun next to the dog. Only way i know of a dog loosing their hearing is being in front of the gun barrel and basically being in the blast cone ALOT.

ucfireman

normally during training we use poppers (empty shot shell with primer) when handling a shotgun next to the dog. Only way i know of a dog loosing their hearing is being in front of the gun barrel and basically being in the blast cone ALOT.
Thats pretty much what I figured but wanted to hear from people that have the experience.
Thanks folks.

baddave

i have had this suspicion before but good question.. heeling with their head at your knee is very important for several reasons and "I" feel that is one.. retrievers are very susceptible to ear infection cause their ears flop over and no air can get in.. off topic a little but if you get a retriever watch that.. i didn't make this up my vet explained it . good luck and enjoy

ucfireman

i have had this suspicion before but good question.. heeling with their head at your knee is very important for several reasons and "I" feel that is one.. retrievers are very susceptible to ear infection cause their ears flop over and no air can get in.. off topic a little but if you get a retriever watch that.. i didn't make this up my vet explained it . good luck and enjoy
Yeah I had a lab mix house pet and she got an ear infection a couple of times, and this is what my vet said also.

baddave

Yeah I had a lab mix house pet and she got an ear infection a couple of times, and this is what my vet said also.
mine actually got busted eardrums. they grow back but she has permanent loss of some frequencies.. she now gets her ears deep cleaned weekly (by me)just some drops i squirt in and rub her ears